U2 Finally Touring Australia!

magelaide

Went to see Paul Weller last weekend.  Did a nice version of "A Town Called Malice" as the final encore.

60613[/snapback]

Have you heard 'Days of Speed'? The acoustic live set he did a few years ago. He did solo stuff and material by The Jam. It's quality like.

60616[/snapback]

No I haven't. Is it available in the shops or is it a bootleggy type thing? Sounds good. I went to an acoustic set that he did when I was living in San Francisco - it was just him and the geordie guitarist bloke out of Oasis. Might be a similar thing to that.

He did "That's Entertainment" the other night too as well, which was quality.

60619[/snapback]

Are they the only Jam covers he did? I don't much like his solo stuff really.

I saw Terry Hall play at the Riverside a few years back (obviously), and I remember this bloke constantly shouting out "Terry, your a Special". He didn't give in and play any old stuff though, in fact he played nothing but new material which was a bit disappointing, as it takes me a few listens to really understand most music.

60635[/snapback]

He did In the Crowd as well, but I think that might have been it for Jam songs. Did a couple of Style Council songs an'all. But apart from that it was solo stuff - mostly the older solo stuff, which is preferable to the latest stuff.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So the birds (or Yardbirds as they originally were known) had little influence?

What about the beach boys?

And why do you think Paul Weller is an 80's influence?

The Jam were a band from the 70's!

Yes he has produced music since, and some great music but his 70's work is the stuff that has inspired many.

I quite like the Yarbirds and was suprised to hear they turned into The Birds. Thing is you've had me looking for Birds CDs and I can't find any that includes a previous member of the Yardbirds. Can you suggest an album? Thanks.

You seem to think I'm arguing that U2 are the most influencial band ever and no other group has been as influential. U2 haven't done half what the Beach Boys have in terms of originality.

I think we're both wrong on the Paul Weller thing (which is what you said originally, not The Jam) he was probably most influential in the 90's (Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene etc.).

Well if you want to argue the influenced by what you hear argument then don't you think it applies Mariah (s)Carey?

See this is where I disagree with your argument because you are saying that a reactive response is one that has been influenced, I think musically influence is something that inspires.

I don't think it applies to Mariah Carey, no. If I hear a Mariah Carey song I haven't got a clue if it's her, Christina Aguelera, Britney Spears or whichever other pop poppet is flavour of the month. When I hear a U2 song I know it's them, without hearing Bono open his mouth. U2 have a sound that's instantly recognisable. The reactive argument was just what I might feel after hearing a U2 song, I also recognise though that a lot of people would love it and try to incorporate that sound.

Why must everything be so black and white? The Beatles are the pacesetters and they influenced EVERYONE since with their stunning originality. U2 are pisspot boyband who've got lucky and released nowt but derivative shit. Neither of these statements are true and if you think they are it's a very blinkered attitude.

There's no need to get shirty about it either boys. I think it's a bit harsh (Sammy) to call NJS' view simplistic when it seems to be your stance that musical originality started somewhere around 1963 (I guess that's not your opinion, but your fixation on the Stones, Beach Boys, Beatles, Doors etc as the be all and end all puts it accross this way). Also, just because someone mentions Brecht I don't see why it makes them a wanker.

I quite like the Yarbirds and was suprised to hear they turned into The Birds.  Thing is you've had me looking for Birds CDs and I can't find any that includes a previous member of the Yardbirds.  Can you suggest an album?  Thanks.

60658[/snapback]

:lol: :lol:

Particularly amusing in light of the way our Australian friend has called people ignorant and stupid due to a lack of musical knowledge. Nice one. ;)

I quite like the Yarbirds and was suprised to hear they turned into The Birds.  Thing is you've had me looking for Birds CDs and I can't find any that includes a previous member of the Yardbirds.  Can you suggest an album?  Thanks.

60658[/snapback]

:lol: :lol:

Particularly amusing in light of the way our Australian friend has called people ignorant and stupid due to a lack of musical knowledge. Nice one. ;)

60664[/snapback]

;)

They turned into The Byrds man, not The Birds. ;)

Yes he has produced music since, and some great music but his 70's work is the stuff that has inspired many.

I quite like the Yarbirds and was suprised to hear they turned into The Birds. Thing is you've had me looking for Birds CDs and I can't find any that includes a previous member of the Yardbirds. Can you suggest an album? Thanks.

You seem to think I'm arguing that U2 are the most influencial band ever and no other group has been as influential. U2 haven't done half what the Beach Boys have in terms of originality.

I think we're both wrong on the Paul Weller thing (which is what you said originally, not The Jam) he was probably most influential in the 90's (Oasis, Ocean Colour Scene etc.).

Well if you want to argue the influenced by what you hear argument then don't you think it applies Mariah (s)Carey?

See this is where I disagree with your argument because you are saying that a reactive response is one that has been influenced, I think musically influence is something that inspires.

I don't think it applies to Mariah Carey, no. If I hear a Mariah Carey song I haven't got a clue if it's her, Christina Aguelera, Britney Spears or whichever other pop poppet is flavour of the month. When I hear a U2 song I know it's them, without hearing Bono open his mouth. U2 have a sound that's instantly recognisable. The reactive argument was just what I might feel after hearing a U2 song, I also recognise though that a lot of people would love it and try to incorporate that sound.

Why must everything be so black and white? The Beatles are the pacesetters and they influenced EVERYONE since with their stunning originality. U2 are pisspot boyband who've got lucky and released nowt but derivative shit. Neither of these statements are true and if you think they are it's a very blinkered attitude.

There's no need to get shirty about it either boys. I think it's a bit harsh (Sammy) to call NJS' view simplistic when it seems to be your stance that musical originality started somewhere around 1963 (I guess that's not your opinion, but your fixation on the Stones, Beach Boys, Beatles, Doors etc as the be all and end all puts it accross this way). Also, just because someone mentions Brecht I don't see why it makes them a wanker.

60658[/snapback]

I didn't call Sammy a wanker I just said that talking about Brecht was student wank - subtle differnce but one I stand by - I just think Sammy is as much a U2 hater as I'm a U2 lover - he's wrong but its nowt personal.

For the record I think the Beatles were shit but I recognise and respect their place in the scheme of things.

U2 influnced Muse?

errrr....what?

Saying U2 sound is distinctive is bollocks now, Coldplay are turning into a modern day version and Martin is catching Hewson up in the wanker stakes.

I've heard about Hewson's "rock and roll star" talk he tries to give to new artists. What a pretentious cunt tbh

60658[/snapback]

I didn't call Sammy a wanker I just said that talking about Brecht was student wank - subtle differnce but one I stand by - I just think Sammy is as much a U2 hater as I'm a U2 lover - he's wrong but its nowt personal.

For the record I think the Beatles were shit but I recognise and respect their place in the scheme of things.

60747[/snapback]

Over it. You guys are right and I'm obviously wrong.

1. I can't spell. And have created a fictional link between two different but both more influencial bands than U2 (yardbirds and the byrds) - sorry stoopid me.

2. I didn't realise there was anything pre 1963 (pop and rock wise).

3. I'm clueless and not English, so therefore clueless.

4. Forgive me people as you're obviously all right.

5. Student wank and wanker? Depends if I'm a student really.

So I'm off to HMV to buy every U2 release they have because they are the beginning the middle and the edge.

1. I can't spell. And have created a fictional link between two different but both more influencial bands than U2 (yardbirds and the byrds) - sorry stoopid me.

So I'm off to HMV to buy every U2 release they have because they are the beginning the middle and the edge.

61163[/snapback]

In the immortal words of RobW......

FLOUNCE ALERT!

61163[/snapback]

FLOUNCE ALERT!

61167[/snapback]

:lol:

What a stupid thread. :lol:

61163[/snapback]

FLOUNCE ALERT!

61167[/snapback]

:lol:

meh, that's not reall happiness

happiness is browsing the fridge and finding a fourpack you forgot about, some bacon and some Ben and Jerry's Cookie Dough icecream.

Sorry to drag this up again. But I'm a U2 member and I got my hands on special pre-sale tickets at 12 noon. I'm so happy. After the 24th of March I can die a happy girl!!! ;)

62309[/snapback]

Well probably best to die happy at the thought of getting a ticket instead of after the concert, disappointed and jaded by their uninspired performance.

Enjoy it magelaide

Sorry to drag this up again. But I'm a U2 member and I got my hands on special pre-sale tickets at 12 noon. I'm so happy. After the 24th of March I can die a happy girl!!! :angry:

62309[/snapback]

The Mage? ;)

Sorry to drag this up again. But I'm a U2 member and I got my hands on special pre-sale tickets at 12 noon. I'm so happy. After the 24th of March I can die a happy girl!!! :angry:

62309[/snapback]

The Mage? ;)

62400[/snapback]

:angry:

Actually what do you think the Edge calls his member?

If he is the Edge, is his cock Right of the Edge?

Cliff (Richard, dick for short) maybe?