And it's official !!!!

Kevin

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I opted not to post last night because I wanted to sleep on my initial feelings and see if they still remained in the morning; and they do.

I can't celebrate yet, it feels a little churlish and premature tbh. If you have asked me at the beginning of the season, when all was uncertain; would I take an auto-promotion slot, I'd have bitten your hand off. Thing is, having led for most of the season, going up as anything other than Champions would feel a bit of an anti-climax. It still feels weird typing that, even though I opted to sleep on it.

Great piece by Caulkin imo and sums up many of my thoughts and feelings. I'm not about to forgive and forget MA, but by the same token, things have improved in many aspects of the club and he has been one of them to be fair. The Jan Sale we all expected never happened and we set about strengthening. Best not proving to be a worthy buy, but no-one gets it right every time. I for one, thought we were going to try the 'get promoted on a shoestring' route, but credit where it's due MA has been prepared to spend money and refreshingly - we haven't blown huge sums on trophy players but been more prudent and conservative in our buys.

I'm not saying this is the blueprint for next season and too many sides have fallen foul of insufficient investment to stay up; but we've done what we needed to do to get promoted and we aren't in horrific shape. Sure, we need to strengthen over the summer, some of the player we have were good enough to get us promoted, but aren't good enough to be EPL first-teamers.

MA has alot to prove next season and his intentions over the summer will indicate if our time in the CCC has taught tome lessons and the 2nd crack at the whip will be taken properly. In one respect, I think the drop to the CCC has probably helped to learn those lessons in a more forgiving league and 'optimistically' I think we return to the EPL better prepared in the 'back stage' dept than we were previously.

Whether CH has the strength to lead us in the EPL is a question we will all discuss over many beers in the coming months - but I defy anyone to come up with a good reason why he shouldn't be given a crack: he's certainly earned it imo. We were a fucking shambles at the beginning of the season but over the course of it we have grown. Even when we go a goal down (something we've done a few times against lesser sides - infuriatingly), I now feel confident we'll come back - and we do. I'm not saying it will be like that next year, against much better sides; but we have strength of character now and a bit of fight in us. That's something we didn't have last season - and that's down to CH and his team.

Hand on heart, I think we might just clinch the title with 3 games to go and when (ok, if <_< ) we do; I'll be partying like it's 1999. The team deserves it; and regardless of whether or not this is a better/worse team with a better/worse manager than in '93 this is the team that worked all season to get us back into the Premier League. For that, they deserve all the credit they get.