Next season

JaMoUsE

Betting wise we are 8-1 for a top 10 finish next year now this could be a decent price if we buy a few good players considering this year 9th-Birmingham 10th-Stoke 11th-Blackburn

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Heh. I'm avoiding any talk of a top half finish. 15-13th imo and that would do nicely. Also, Stoke these days are a pretty tough side to beat. I still envy them for taking Faye.

13th-15th would be about right... anything more than that is a bonus, anything less and serious questions will need to be asked again.

13th-15th would be about right... anything more than that is a bonus, anything less and serious questions will need to be asked again.

Really?

Pretty much the same team with Duff/Beye/Bass/Owen/Martins/Duke etc got us relagated last season. I'd have thought any promoted team should be happy with just staying up.

Really?

Pretty much the same team with Duff/Beye/Bass/Owen/Martins/Duke etc got us relagated last season. I'd have thought any promoted team should be happy with just staying up.

agree with barney, I'd say 14-17 would be about acceptable, its hard to stay up in your first season, despite the PL experience of a lot of our players they've been playing CCC football for a year now, it might take some getting used to back in the top flight, especially if we get a tough opening run

anything above 14th would be a damn good first season back, top half would be stunning

top 10 a (currently unacheivable) target. i put us 15th with moderate investment.

one thing that could stand us in favour is that its a world cup year and all the big sides with their worldcup bound internationals will be fecked by the time the season starts, thats our chance to get points on the board. after that it WILL be a struggle.

top 10 a (currently unacheivable) target. i put us 15th with moderate investment.

one thing that could stand us in favour is that its a world cup year and all the big sides with their worldcup bound internationals will be fecked by the time the season starts, thats our chance to get points on the board. after that it WILL be a struggle.

bollocks

bollocks

nope.

Truth be known their quality ( the big 4/5/ whatever) will come through but they often have a few games where they are catching up with themseleves.

Really?

agree with barney, I'd say 14-17 would be about acceptable, its hard to stay up in your first season, despite the PL experience of a lot of our players they've been playing CCC football for a year now, it might take some getting used to back in the top flight, especially if we get a tough opening run

anything above 14th would be a damn good first season back, top half would be stunning

Nope, I'm serious. If that cock-head Ashley wants any praise hes got to put in some hard graft and frankly 16th or 17th and therefore a surviving by the skin of our teeth is frankly unacceptable. 5 year plan and all that...

We had a team that was well capable of staying up in 2009 - we didn't because the club was run like a fucking shambles. Now everyone is wax lyrical about how well things are round away from front of shop - well fucking prove it... 16th or lower won't do that for me.

Betting wise we are 8-1 for a top 10 finish next year now this could be a decent price if we buy a few good players considering this year 9th-Birmingham 10th-Stoke 11th-Blackburn

Worth a tenna but unlikely.

11th-15th most likely i think.

Really?

Nope, I'm serious. If that cock-head Ashley wants any praise hes got to put in some hard graft and frankly 16th or 17th and therefore a surviving by the skin of our teeth is frankly unacceptable. 5 year plan and all that...

We had a team that was well capable of staying up in 2009 - we didn't because the club was run like a fucking shambles. Now everyone is wax lyrical about how well things are round away from front of shop - well fucking prove it... 16th or lower won't do that for me.

Im not talking about whether I'll be praising ashley or not

fact is we've come back at the first attempt and many of our fans and the media will still be rating us as a PL side but we're not, we're a newly promoted side from the CCC with a different manager (aside from a brief caretaker spell) and an 11 laregly the same as the one that went down

hughton has earned his chance to manage in the PL but thats not to say I dont have my doubts about him, I dont think hes tactically astute enough and I dont know if he'll be able to handle the side when things arent going as well as they have this year

so from the "team has just come up" pov I'll take 17th as a season in the PL to build upon

also on the "praising ashley front" I'll praise ashley if he backs hughton properly, sacks llambias and doesnt sell players as soon as there is a bid

the on the pitch stuff is down to other people

Edited by Andrew

Really?

Im not talking about whether I'll be praising ashley or not

fact is we've come back at the first attempt and many of our fans and the media will still be rating us as a PL side but we're not, we're a newly promoted side from the CCC with a different manager (aside from a brief caretaker spell) and an 11 laregly the same as the one that went down

hughton has earned his chance to manage in the PL but thats not to say I dont have my doubts about him, I dont think hes tactically astute enough and I dont know if he'll be able to handle the side when things arent going as well as they have this year

so from the "team has just come up" pov I'll take 17th as a season in the PL to build upon

also on the "praising ashley front" I'll praise ashley if he backs hughton properly, sacks llambias and doesnt sell players as soon as there is a bid

the on the pitch stuff is down to other people

Pretty much how i see Hughton and Ashley right now.

I think our squad andrew, our starting 11 is one that is on par with the bottom 6 of the current PL...with a few additions i think we can comfortably achieve an 11th-15th finish.

We're a 'united club' apparently - at least that's the message that Ashley (more Llambias really) likes to portray and goes out of his way to knock those of us who dare to question them.

You've contradicted yourself btw - earlier on you said we're "pretty much the same team minus the prima donnas" yet now you're saying we're not an EPL side, we're a 'newly promoted CCC side'. Can't be both tbh and in reality, we're the former.

I suspect some on here don't wish to acknowledge that fact so that it can be used as mitigation if and when things start to go pear shaped but the truth is in the players we have. Internationals amongst them, most have more than one year of Premiership experience and the cold hard truth is that collectively they are more than capable of finishing between 13th and 15th and hence why I think anything less is failure.

In the opening thread it was pointed out that we've got Birmingham 9th, Stoke 10th and Blackburn 11th at the moment - our players are as good as theirs so why can't was aspire to their achievements?

Aside from everything else, being satisfied with 17th is unbelievable. The day I'm satisfied with that will be the day I give up following NUFC.

You've contradicted yourself btw - earlier on you said we're "pretty much the same team minus the prima donnas" yet now you're saying we're not an EPL side, we're a 'newly promoted CCC side'. Can't be both tbh and in reality, we're the former.

did I?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2010/ap...e-chris-hughton

Club officials estimate that promotion will increase Newcastle's income by around £50m or possibly as much as £60m, depending on attendances at St James' Park. Only around half of that will be used for player recruitment. The rest is needed to help restructure the club's finances after a testing 12 months and it is understood Ashley will take back some of the money he has loaned Newcastle this year.

Ashley and the club's managing director, Derek Llambias, believe £20m to £25m is a healthy budget for a club looking to consolidate its Premier League position.

Edited by ChezGiven

believe it when its happened to be honest

we've been lied to plenty in the past and the lack of direct, accountable quotes from either ashley(I know he rarely speaks) or llambias(untrustworthy anyway) makes me all the more sceptical