Ashley to allow spending spree in summer

loonyTOON

If I was Fat Mike, I wouldn't be that confident that Hughton would spend the money well so I'd be leery about forking over 20 million. Giving Routledge and particularly best three and a half year deals doesn't exactly make me think he has an eye for a player. Least said the better about about even having pancake at the club.

Aye, routledge has been a terrible signing like :angry:

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I was Fat Mike, I wouldn't be that confident that Hughton would spend the money well so I'd be leery about forking over 20 million. Giving Routledge and particularly best three and a half year deals doesn't exactly make me think he has an eye for a player. Least said the better about about even having pancake at the club.

:D Sniffer obviously cant smell a good player..... :naughty:

Out of all the players Hughton has brought in this season, I'd say only Best and Pancrate have been poor.

Routledge, Williamson and Van Aanholt (for the time he was here) have been very good signings imo

Danny Simpson, Harewood, Zurab whatshisface and Fitz Hall have all done reasonable jobs.

Only Pancrate and Best haven't really performed.

That's not a bad record however you look at it.

Out of all the players Hughton has brought in this season, I'd say only Best and Pancrate have been poor.

Routledge, Williamson and Van Aanholt (for the time he was here) have been very good signings imo

Danny Simpson, Harewood, Zurab whatshisface and Fitz Hall have all done reasonable jobs.

I don't think Routledge is THAT good. He lacks control.

Williamson looks canny mind. Thats the way of cut price players though, you buy 5 or 6 and one or two works out to a certain degree and people advocate the system on the basis of those one or two.

Its bollocks at the end of the day. Buying proven quality players and/or the best players now and again from smaller clubs like Spurs, Villa instead of the other way round, changes the perception of the club within the game and correctly asserts NUFC as being a bigger club than these sort of clubs.

best was a bit of a panic buy wasn't it to be fair to chris. we needed a striker urgently as he didn't get beckford. didn't someone else turn us down too at the last minute before the window shut? can't remember, i might be wrong there but it was best blatantly wasn't his first choice.

agree that he shouldn't have been given a 3 year deal mind. would have been a half decent loan signing but we'll have trouble shifting him now.

Wigan beat us to Victor Moses from palace, £2.5mill

Here we go again....do people not learn?

They don't seem to.

I refer to my current signiture ...

It seems to me that the current 'normal' football supporter's state of mind seems to be a mixture of unshakable pessimism and impatientness (if that's a word).

FFS, we've only just been promted.

best was a bit of a panic buy wasn't it to be fair to chris. we needed a striker urgently as he didn't get beckford. didn't someone else turn us down too at the last minute before the window shut? can't remember, i might be wrong there but it was best blatantly wasn't his first choice.

agree that he shouldn't have been given a 3 year deal mind. would have been a half decent loan signing but we'll have trouble shifting him now.

Wigan beat us to Victor Moses from palace, £2.5mill

Maybe we've been lucky as he's scored zero for them in nine starts.

Oh, and one assist.

Edited by dbsweeney

Whilst I implore that every action is taken (ie. money is spent) we're an exception to the norm of teams that are promoted from the championship. Point me towards one that has come into the premierlaague with as many premierleague experienced players as we have? I'm not saying we'll survive with the current side, just pointing out a fact that we're abnormal in the amount of experience that we bring up from the Championship.

I don't think Routledge is THAT good. He lacks control.

Williamson looks canny mind. Thats the way of cut price players though, you buy 5 or 6 and one or two works out to a certain degree and people advocate the system on the basis of those one or two.

Its bollocks at the end of the day. Buying proven quality players and/or the best players now and again from smaller clubs like Spurs, Villa instead of the other way round, changes the perception of the club within the game and correctly asserts NUFC as being a bigger club than these sort of clubs.

I like Routledge, his control may not be top notch, but he creates things. You could argue that Jonas has better control but creates less. Then again, we have to remember all of our players we seen this season and the level of opponent. Whole new story next season. Jonas and Collocini looked very average first time around in the Prem, but may be better now are more settled in the side. Williamson Ive been very impressed with. He could be stronger and it will be interesting to see how he handles the prem, but he looks steady, hasnt made many glaring errors.

I know what you mean about perception though. Buying bigger players attracts bigger players. However, realism tell us that a) it can lead to very costly mistakes (hindsight though eh?) but more so :angry: Will never happen under Ashley anyway.

I think you can be sensible and spend cautiously and reach the top 8, but if your aspirations are bigger than that then you will struggle.

Would take us a good few years to get to that level again and thats if we headed in the right direction slowly building each year, that in itself is another struggle.

Buying proven quality players and/or the best players now and again from smaller clubs like Spurs, Villa instead of the other way round, changes the perception of the club within the game and correctly asserts NUFC as being a bigger club than these sort of clubs.

That's all and good if you can afford to do that. We can't.

:D Sniffer obviously cant smell a good player..... :naughty:

Had to double take reading that myself. Routledge has been a great signing for us this season.

I like Routledge, his control may not be top notch, but he creates things. You could argue that Jonas has better control but creates less. Then again, we have to remember all of our players we seen this season and the level of opponent. Whole new story next season. Jonas and Collocini looked very average first time around in the Prem, but may be better now are more settled in the side. Williamson Ive been very impressed with. He could be stronger and it will be interesting to see how he handles the prem, but he looks steady, hasnt made many glaring errors.

I know what you mean about perception though. Buying bigger players attracts bigger players. However, realism tell us that a) it can lead to very costly mistakes (hindsight though eh?) but more so :angry: Will never happen under Ashley anyway.

I think you can be sensible and spend cautiously and reach the top 8, but if your aspirations are bigger than that then you will struggle.

Would take us a good few years to get to that level again and thats if we headed in the right direction slowly building each year, that in itself is another struggle.

Actually, I think Jonas looked to be pretty much the same last season. His biggest opponent is himself at times. I've said it before that I think he's the type of player that will be much more valuable when playing alongside superior players. Any difference in his productivity this season has been because he's not playing in a side with an already beaten mentality. He won't have any problem with the level of players in the Premier League, but unfortunately that won't mean that he'll cross with any consistency, or won't give the ball away cheaply on the odd occassion.

By stark contrast Coloccini did look very average in the Premier League particularly in the latter stages of the season. The hope I'm fostering is that he's a confidence player and he's now more settled in the team/city so will be more resilient when results inevitably don't go our way. He'll never be very good against fast players with quick feet though. I say he's a level above the championship but possibly a level below the top half of the Premier League. The upcoming season will surely tell.

Whilst I implore that every action is taken (ie. money is spent) we're an exception to the norm of teams that are promoted from the championship. Point me towards one that has come into the premierlaague with as many premierleague experienced players as we have? I'm not saying we'll survive with the current side, just pointing out a fact that we're abnormal in the amount of experience that we bring up from the Championship.

Its a good point that. The issue is whether there will be enough stability and investment over the summer to build on the platform we have.

We shouldn't be thinking in terms of survival cause that's how the problems start...I'd be gearing up the side and all the background work for a top ten finish a al Birmingham. That should be the target. We need to spend about 40m minimum.

To an extent at least, it's not about spending big, it's about spending wisely (if you'll pardon the potential pun there). I worry about our ability to go and get some good European / South American talent because I don't really think we've got the wedge to buy British / English players of the right calibre.

To an extent at least, it's not about spending big, it's about spending wisely (if you'll pardon the potential pun there). I worry about our ability to go and get some good European / South American talent because I don't really think we've got the wedge to buy British / English players of the right calibre.

Cue the scouting jokes as necessary. :angry:

We need at least 5 players who can handle the Pl and go straight into the first team. In many ways thank god we've still got a decent keeper.

We need at least 5 players who can handle the Pl and go straight into the first team. In many ways thank god we've still got a decent keeper.

Two or three good players could transform the side into a 12th-8th sort of team. Not convinced tehy'll arrive like.

Two or three good players could transform the side into a 12th-8th sort of team. Not convinced tehy'll arrive like.

Depends what kind of values you're talking for those players.

Mike Ashley is targeting Premier League survival next season – and will not be gambling millions in the transfer market.

The Newcastle owner, who has spent just under £300million on buying and running Newcastle so far, pledged to back Chris Hughton and strengthen his squad now promotion has been won.

But Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias will use a strict ­business plan, and that means the days of huge transfer splurges at St James’ Park are over.

Instead Newcastle will monitor the transfer activity of clubs they anticipate being in the bottom eight next term, and try to trump them with better buys to guarantee survival.

A new realism is hitting Tyneside that headline-grabbing signings such as £17million Michael Owen and £10million Oba Martins are a thing of the past.

Ashley will ignore ­warnings from key figures in the game that investment in the order of £40million will be needed in the summer and another £20million in January.

Instead a budget of no more than £20million will be provided, plus whatever Hughton makes in sales, with the emphasis on discovering players under 26 who are on the up and eager to make their careers on ­Tyneside.

That investment will see the wage bill increase beyond its current £40million, which will already be one of the highest in the top flight.

Newcastle hope the economic climate will mean bargains can be had from the likes of Portsmouth, West Ham, Hull, and Manchester City, who will sell good fringe players.

Having slashed their wage bill this season, and with Premier League TV millions – £40million at least next term plus two ­guaranteed parachute payments of £12million even if they go down again – Newcastle are in healthier financial position than many clubs.

A further £30million comes from ticket sales and £30million from commercial deals, meaning a turnover likely to top £100million next season.

They have an overdraft, but Ashley has funded shortfalls, and they do not have crippling debt interest payments like many clubs, making them a more attractive proposition should Ashley again try to sell.

Newcastle’s priority will be to add pace to central midfield, find a consistent right winger, a Premier League goal-scorer, and a new defender.

Hughton may lose out-of-contract Nicky Butt, saving £3million a year in wages, and release Fabrice Pancrate. Leon Best is vulnerable to a cull after making no impact.

Alan Smith, also on £3million year, cannot make the Championship squad at the moment and could go for £3million. Fabricio Coloccini, rated at £7million and on £4million a year, may also be cashed in on while his stock is high.

Newcastle face delicate negotiations with Steven Taylor, who had his jaw broken in an alleged clash with Andy Carroll. He has a year to go on his contract and could be sold for between £6million and £8million if he does not agree a new deal.

Simon Bird article.

If there's any truth at all in that (and I don't believe Simon Bird peddles much shite), then they've learned fuck all...

If there's any truth at all in that (and I don't believe Simon Bird peddles much shite), then they've learned fuck all...

Worrying in the sense that they are really only thinking about survival and tight budgets for team upgrading. No vision.

Instead a budget of no more than £20million will be provided, plus whatever Hughton makes in sales, with the emphasis on discovering players under 26 who are on the up and eager to make their careers on ­Tyneside.

Newcastle hope the economic climate will mean bargains can be had from the likes of Portsmouth, West Ham, Hull, and Manchester City, who will sell good fringe players.

so who do we reckon we should be going for, whos under 26 from these clubs??

(oh and cheap as well)

Worrying in the sense that they are really only thinking about survival and tight budgets for team upgrading. No vision.

So I'll get in before LM does.

Whats the use in being there? whats the use in existing if all you're going to do is attempt to survive? thats not football, at least not for the fans, its balancing the books. Its making a profit, its all the things that football should not be about. Make no mistake, with that kind of business plan then the only people to profit (in any way shape or form) are the shareholders.

I honestly think it must be more fun as a football fan to support say Blyth Spartans or Whitley Bay, teams who have a huge amount of things to aim for and are constantly striving to reach those goals than just ensuring they survive and make a profit. A good cup run for them means paying off some debts so they can buy a new player or two, those players will maybe get them promoted and hopefully get more cash in to clear more debts and buy more players...... Ive been here before though.

What made this season more exciting than any in the last few years is the fact we were pushing for something, fighting to get that promotion. I dont see fighting to avoid relegation as anything like fun.

As a football club owner Id no doubt think differently but as a fan I want us to compete for things not just hope we can spend as little as possible to guranteee staying in the Premiership gravy train. :angry: