About as far past UNBELIEVABLE as it gets

Guest Barrack Road

Guest Barrack Road
By Mick Dennis

Comment Speech Bubble Have your say(5)

I COULDN'T have been more wrong about Newcastle. I expected their relegation to begin a spiral of decline. Chris Hughton shoved those words down my throat.

But will the self-proclaimed Geordie Nation give Newcastle boss Hughton the credit and time to build in the Premier League?

Since celebrating their promotion commendably early in the season, some Newcastle fans have been making worrying noises on phone-ins. Nonsense about bringing back 'King Kev' Keegan or Alan Shearer as manager has started, along with tosh about Hughton not being the man to take the club to "the next level".

Newcastle were relegated by a point last May and might have stayed up but for the instability of having five managers in one campaign and the final, flawed idea of letting Shearer have a go. He delivered one win from eight games. But he is a Geordie and, as they keep telling the rest of us, Toon fans believe all Geordies are special.

The average attendance at St James' Park so far this season is 42,796, almost 14,000 more than the next highest, Derby.

That is laudable. But there are other ways of looking at the stats.

Newcastle have sold only 81 per cent of their tickets this term, despite being top or near the top since the start. Twelve per cent of their alleged supporters deserted them in the Championship. Three clubs in the division have had fewer empty seats.

Manchester City attendances were down less than three per cent the last time they were relegated. At Norwich, attendances went up when they went down from the top flight. Newcastle are a big-city club, with a big fan base. But those fans have not been especially loyal and, if they had a less deluded view of themselves, they might make a more realistic appraisal of the club.

SEARCH FOOTBALL for:

Newcastle deserve to be in the Premier League next season - but not because o f history, tradition or fallacies about the fans, but because of this season's achievements by Hughton and his players.

After taking two points from four games in October, Hughton's men reeled off seven straight wins and lost only once more in the remainder of the campaign.

Now, assuming owner Mike Ashley does not listen to the daft clamour for Keegan or Shearer, Hughton will aim high for next season. But as with any promoted club, fourth from bottom will be a success. Yet one wonders whether the Geordie Nation can handle that truth.

Utterly staggering. Any sports editor worth his salt would sack a sports writer for that. So we're disloyal despite having by a considerable margin the largest average gate outside the top flight since Man Utd in 1974. I'll never buy the Express again.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The hacks love us man. No one gives a shit about the likes of Burnley or Wigan. That's why all the cliches are out again. It's funny though that they have to use a %-age drop to try and make our attendances look bad given they're the 5th best © Leazes in the country this season.

Same shit, different day tbh. We go down and stay with the team and we're lauded but now we're back to the Premier League, our staying with the team isn't quite as loyal as we haven't really boasted about.

Got all of this to look forward to at least. I can't wait until the first day of September where the opinion pieces say we were unrealistically expecting Ashley to splash out £500 million despite no evidence.

Yes, because there was such a massive clamour for Shearer to be given the job instead of JFK. We were absolutely howling in the streets for it.

Were we fuck. It came out of nowhere just like KK's appointment, but we get blamed for wanting both of them in. Not saying I wasn't happy with both of them at the time of course.

Here we go again...

Like the first reply in the comments section :angry:

Well, well, well. What do we have here? A spiteful article about Newcastle that is covered from head to toe with comically inaccurate drivel?

Sorry, had to bite. Not that it's worth going on too much, as no doubt the rest of the country will lap up this total rubbish about our club. We don't want Shearer, we don't want Keegan, we want Hughton, and I can safely say that is the view of the vast majority of our fans. We don't expect Europe next year, and we don't expect star signings.

But I suppose this, i.e. the truth, wouldn't make for a good story in the press? Sorry to crush your spite, Mike. The only delusion here is those in the Express hierarchy who see you worthy of being paid money to make up this dross.

He'll be loving any attention he gets btw. He'll be checking the comments every ten minutes. Bit like some on here I can think of :angry:

Your sad pathetic life has brought you to this, rocking back and forth in your living room/box saying 'Newcastle fans are deluded' over and over again until the ambulance shows. Have you escaped from the mental hospital to write this utter garbage.

:angry:

I'm not going to make this a personal insult to you, but I'll point a few things out before I go any further. You look like Tony Gale when he's 70 but only if he's been doing heroin for that length of time. That's one thing.

Secondly why didn't you just write I'm a mug with nothing to say? Newcastle's average gate is the largest outside the top flight by a big margin in 40 years and you have the audacity to say we're disloyal. By rights after what happened last season we should've had 20,000 every game, but we're blinded always will be. Let me ask you a question. Would you sit in a bar in Newcastle and have a conversation along the lines of what you have just written? You small depressed non-event of a man.

• Posted by: StevieNUFC • Report Comment

:angry::D:naughty::outahere::icon_lol: :icon_lol:

Behind the joy of Monday's anticipated Tyneside promotion party lurks the unspoken fear that Newcastle United's surprisingly pleasant journey back to the Premier League could end with a horribly rude awakening. Much hinges on the answers to the following questions. Will Chris Hughton prove a strong enough manager for the top tier? Will he be replaced this summer?

Now, assuming owner Mike Ashley does not listen to the daft clamour for Keegan or Shearer, Hughton will aim high for next season. But as with any promoted club, fourth from bottom will be a success. Yet one wonders whether the Geordie Nation can handle that truth.

He's been reading Louise and reporting her rambling questions as some sort of agreed Geordie policy.

Newspapers are great at reporting on their own media led stories ("the clamour to sack wossy is growing....evidenced by the 8 more pages we've written on it today compared to yesterday"). No-one thinks for a second there's any basis in relaity.