Enter Luque?

Shearergol

• Replies 152
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't you find it strange that Luque at first claimed he was a striker, and now claims he played on the left?

Perhaps a quick look at some comments...

Spain international forward who signed a five-year contract at St James' Park in August 2005, having played against the Magpies in the Intertoto Cup semi-final for Deportivo La Coruna three weeks earlier. Both a supplier and scorer of goals, he is a gifted striker of the ball and has a cultured left foot, which frequently sees him drift out wide to provide crosses. Began his career at Mallorca in 1997 before moving to Depor in 2002, reaching the Champions League semi-finals with the Riazor outfit two seasons later.

Well, that line is certainly interesting, don't you think?

How about this?

Name : Albert Luque

Nationality : Spanish

Date Of Birth : 11/03/1978

Height : 6'0" (183cm)

Weight : 12st 8lbs (80.0kg)

Position : Striker

That's from .cock no less. Obviously Souness forgot to inform them that he's a replacement for Robert (don't ya know :lol:)

Right, from the FA this time, a match report...

Captain Laurent Blanc, who incredibly has only played Champions League football with United, was having a torrid time of it up against the pace of Spain international striker Luque and was lucky not to have conceded a penalty when the veteran appeared to pull the player back after a clever slide rule pass from the outstanding Victor Sánchez.

Striker? A striker you say?

Anyway, must continue, let's hear the immortal words from Souness, who clearly says in this next quote that Luque was bought to replace Robert (you have to look really hard, and try and imagine it, but the words are there...)

"He can play as the left-sided striker in a 4-3-3, wide on the left in a 4-4-2 or as an out-and-out striker in a 4-4-2," said Souness, who expectsOwen and Alan Shearer to both be available for the trip to Merseyside, although Stephen Carr is facing another week on the sidelines as he continues his recovery from a hernia operation.

"Albert is quite flexible and he will give us a lot of options. He is someone who can chip in with goals and I fully expect him to score his fair share when he is up and running again."

But there's more, from Depo's fan site, surely their fans know where he plays?

Newcastle United have launched a bid for Deportivo La Coruna striker Albert Luque.

Geordies boss Graeme Souness has made a tentative £7 million bid for Luque after giving up on trying to convince Real Madrid striker Michael Owen to join the Toon this season.

Depor president Augusto Cesar Lendoiro has been demanding £12 million this summer for Luque after receiving enquiries from Liverpool, Barcelona and Manchester United.

But he is now willing to sell at £10 million, particularly with Luque failing to convince new Depor coach Joaquin Caparros in preseason training.

Seems not.

Let's just for one moment assume that he is indeed a left winger, and read this comment from another Depo site...

Deportivo La Coruna president Augusto Cesar Lendoiro has warned Newcastle United over their bid for attacker Albert Luque.

"First they have to reach an agreement with Deportivo and then with the player," he said.

"It is hard to deal with English teams, they change from one day to another."

Spanish international striker Luque was Deportivo's top scorer last season and he claims that Newcastle have bid £10 million for him, after catching Souness' eye when Deportivo knocked Newcastle out of the Intertoto Cup.

"Let's be realistic, it is not a problem of numbers and an agreement is not far away but neither is it a question of minor details," said Lendoiro.

"It could all be closed now if the offer is in line with what Deportivo want. If not, it won't be closed in an hour, a day or a month."

So go on, ignore the word "striker" a moment and concentrate on the "top scorer" bit. I tell you what, if he's our top scorer from the left wing, I'd be more than happy that he's replaced Robert.

Night.

I showed this thread to my missus last night and pointed out that one person was in his late 20s and one person in his 50s and asked her to tell me on the basis of what's been posted, which was which....

She correctly identified Gol, but said she couldn't identify a bloke in his 50s - said there was some kid called Howaythelads stamping his feet because no-one was playing fair though :lol:

60881[/snapback]

Here we go. When will you grow up, man?

Have you any idea how stupid that sounds? Showing a forum thread to your missus? Bloody hell, my missus would wonder what she was married to if I involved her in anything to do with this forum. You must have a really sad life, Chayton. I feel sorry for you, man. I really do. No doubt you'll claim you made this up now you realise what a tosser it makes you seem. ;)

BTW I'm not in my 50's.

60894[/snapback]

:lol:

HTL's not known for his humour (at least not with me ;) ), but I thought this was a very funny response. ;)

On a more serious note, hands up, who has actually seen enough of him to comment one way or another? I haven't, I've seen his two games for the Toon live, where he was played on the left, and I saw him play against the Toon for Deportivo but I can't remember where he played as I didn't take much notice. I've seen some of his goals on Sky's Revisita show and I've downloaded some clips but I couldn't tell you where he plays.

Now he's claimed he has played the majority of his football on the left but he's also claimed he's a striker, can anyone settle this?

We all know where he'll play...

On the left wing.

On a more serious note, hands up, who has actually seen enough of him to comment one way or another? I haven't, I've seen his two games for the Toon live, where he was played on the left, and I saw him play against the Toon for Deportivo but I can't remember where he played as I didn't take much notice. I've seen some of his goals on Sky's Revisita show and I've downloaded some clips but I couldn't tell you where he plays.

Now he's claimed he has played the majority of his football on the left but he's also claimed he's a striker, can anyone settle this?

On the left wing.

60966[/snapback]

Right, I've said my piece.

Luque is a striker. Always has been. Also has the ability to drift wide.

Souness is a fool. Always has been. Has the ability to play players out of position.

If Luque plays on the left for us in a 4-4-2 I feel we'll be limiting his ability (although Depo never really played a 4-4-2). However, if (as many claim, although I strongly disagree with) he played on the left for them and STILL finished their top scorer then I couldn't really care less if he plays there for us or not.

FACT :lol:

On the left wing.

60966[/snapback]

60971[/snapback]

Aye but you talk a load of shit.

On the left wing.

60966[/snapback]

60971[/snapback]

Aye but you talk a load of shit.

60977[/snapback]

Personally I think you should be concentrating on your own forum. Bit quiet there at the moment.

;) back

Not taking the piss here but I'll actually be very interested to see how Souness does employ Luque.

60896[/snapback]

I agree again, Alex. And as I've said, if Souness uses Luque mostly as an out and out striker when he has other options, I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong.

I will still maintain though, that my reasons for believing Luque is a left sided player come from what I heard from Souness. That's all I've been saying all along, I don't know why Gol is making such a fucking big issue of it, unless he's getting ready for a wank at the thought of catching me making a mistake.

Not taking the piss here but I'll actually be very interested to see how Souness does employ Luque.

60896[/snapback]

I agree again, Alex. And as I've said, if Souness uses Luque mostly as an out and out striker when he has other options, I'll be more than happy to admit I was wrong.

I will still maintain though, that my reasons for believing Luque is a left sided player come from what I heard from Souness. That's all I've been saying all along, I don't know why Gol is making such a fucking big issue of it, unless he's getting ready for a wank at the thought of catching me making a mistake.

60989[/snapback]

Is that the time? Cbeebies must have finished early tonight! :lol:

60896[/snapback]

60989[/snapback]

:lol: It could be the latter, although I haven't seen enough of gol to know if that's his thing. Jimbo, however.