GNER

Renton

Just been ripped off by GNER, the set of thieving bastids. I've been away in London and used advance tickets - only £10 each. The first problem I had was the train on Saturday was late, making me miss the the start off the Chelsea match. I suppose I can just about live with that.

However, on the way back yesterday the tube was delayed in the rush hour, and I just missed my train, so I got the next one, 10 minutes later. I knew I was going to have to pay an excess, that's fair enough. What I wasn't prepared for was the fact they charged me and my wife £240!

Bastards! They claimed this was the price of a standard single ticket, but I am sure this is blatent bullshit. I refused to pay, so they are sending me a letter demanding payment. I'm going to try and see if they will accept less, but I know its probably to no avail, although I tempted to let them take me to court over it.

Has anyone any suggestions? I can't really afford that type of money and will probably have to do without a christmas present this year. I can deal with that but just hate the feeling I have been blatently taken to the cleaners. :rolleyes:

That does seem pretty steep, and very harsh. I'd try and reason with them first, and if not say that you'll grudgingly pay, but only in installments. You really shouldn't have to go without at xmas for something that isn't your fault.

Best of luck with it.

Just been ripped off by GNER, the set of thieving bastids. I've been away in London and used advance tickets - only £10 each. The first problem I had was the train on Saturday was late, making me miss the the start off the Chelsea match. I suppose I can just about live with that.

However, on the way back yesterday the tube was delayed in the rush hour, and I just missed my train, so I got the next one, 10 minutes later. I knew I was going to have to pay an excess, that's fair enough. What I wasn't prepared for was the fact they charged me and my wife £240!

Bastards! They claimed this was the price of a standard single ticket, but I am sure this is blatent bullshit. I refused to pay, so they are sending me a letter demanding payment. I'm going to try and see if they will accept less, but I know its probably to no avail, although I tempted to let them take me to court over it.

Has anyone any suggestions? I can't really afford that type of money and will probably have to do without a christmas present this year. I can deal with that but just hate the feeling I have been blatently taken to the cleaners.  :rolleyes:

58992[/snapback]

I think it probably is the standard price (outrageous I know). Writing to them and putting your case may work though. Perhaps you could lay ot on thick regarding the circustances and being a loyal customer, blah, blah, blah. The person inspecting the tickets probably hasn't got much leeway over that sort of thing and had little choice.

The trouble with the CAB is, I don't think they can do much in this case since those sort of tickets are only valid for specific journeys and are not transferable. That is made very clear when you buy them.

Has anyone any suggestions? I can't really afford that type of money and will probably have to do without a christmas present this year. I can deal with that but just hate the feeling I have been blatently taken to the cleaners.  :rolleyes:

58992[/snapback]

I think it probably is the standard price (outrageous I know). Writing to them and putting your case may work though. Perhaps you could lay ot on thick regarding the circustances and being a loyal customer, blah, blah, blah. The person inspecting the tickets probably hasn't got much leeway over that sort of thing and had little choice.

59000[/snapback]

Yeah, the conductor was Ok about it to be fair, I could see he didn't have much choice (although I was seriously thinking of giving him a bung!). I'm going to make them offer and be very grovelling/polite, but if they are intent on making me pay the full whack I'm going to make it as hard for them as possible.

Not a fan of the train transport system. Once went to Endiburgh and back and some prick was sitting in our seats and wouldn't move. No ticket officer to be seen on the way back either so to add insult to injury I wouldn't have had to pay if I'd known.

The trouble with the CAB is, I don't think they can do much in this case since those sort of tickets are only valid for specific journeys and are not transferable. That is made very clear when you buy them.

59003[/snapback]

Yes, it was £120 each. I agree with what you say, but I know for a fact they are charging me more than a standard single fare, which I think is unacceptable.

Guess I'm probably shafted. Bye bye new mp3 player. :rolleyes:

Offering to pay them in installments is a winner i reckon, I got a grant back in the day when i went to Uni, i came back after a couple of months cos it was hell on earth, but i'd blown the grand they gave me to cover my rent for the year. So they wanted the majority of it back, which i obviously didn't have a penny of! So i offered to pay them in installments, to which the Council agreed to and they even let me choose how much i pay back per week, so being cheeky cunt i offered to pay a fiver a week to which they agreed to nee bother!

Offering to pay them in installments is a winner i reckon, I got a grant back in the day when i went to Uni, i came back after a couple of months cos it was hell on earth, but i'd blown the grand they gave me to cover my rent for the year. So they wanted the majority of it back, which i obviously didn't have a penny of! So i offered to pay them in installments, to which the Council agreed to and they even let me choose how much i pay back per week, so being cheeky cunt i offered to pay a fiver a week to which they agreed to nee bother!

59028[/snapback]

Good idea. Renton, I would claim that paying back the full amount would cause you extreme financial hardship. If you offer to pay it back and they respond, keep the correspondence. That way you have a record that shows that you did offer to pay for the tickets.

If criminals can pay fines back at the rate of a pound a week then law abiding citizens should therefore be able to pay the cost of a over priced train ticket back at a similar rate.

59049[/snapback]

Renton could be a criminal though - mind you that would make him more eligible for the £1 a week scheme wouldn't it? :rolleyes:

They are robbers like. I needed to get to London at short notice just before Christmas a few years back. It was actually cheaper to get a taxi to Teesside airport and fly from there than it was on the train. Ridiculous.

Is it any wonder we won't get out of our cars and use public transport?? You had hastle on the Metro a while back as well didn't you Renton? I'd steer clear of anything that runs on rails in future if I was you. :rolleyes:

Why didn't you give him a false name & address or one of your mates name & addresse's, bit sneaky but better than paying £240

59121[/snapback]

I had to give ID as proof - my driving license.

And unfortunately I don't know Gemmill's address. :rolleyes:

Aye Citizens Advice are spot on.

They're not like.. :rolleyes:

I genuinely hate having to refer people to the CAB because most of the advisers are pretty shite.

59142[/snapback]

You'll have had more experience of them than me by the sounds of things but I've heard nothing but good things about the ones up this end.

Why didn't you give him a false name & address or one of your mates name & addresse's, bit sneaky but better than paying £240

59121[/snapback]

Aye that's what i would've done.........er me names Wacky Jnr, I live in the Byker Wall with wor lass and her lesbian lover. :rolleyes:

Edited by Smooth Operator