Dust cloud closes airports

Rob W

Guest Barrack Road
End of the world thread anyone?? ;)

Nice pics..Scroll down for all.

http://www.grapevine.is/News/ReadArticle/E...s-Julia-Staples

Get ready for decades of Icelandic fireworks

* 17:38 16 April 2010 by Kate Ravilious

We're not quite back to the pre-plane era, but air travel over and around the north Atlantic might get a lot more disrupted in the coming years.

Volcanologists say the fireworks exploding from the Eyjafjallajökull volcano on Iceland, which is responsible for the ash cloud that is grounding all commercial flights across northern Europe, may become a familiar sight. Increased rumblings under Iceland over the past decade suggest that the area is entering a more active phase, with more eruptions and the potential for some very large bangs.

"Volcanic activity on Iceland appears to follow a periodicity of around 50 to 80 years. The increase in activity over the past 10 years suggests we might be entering a more active phase with more eruptions," says Thorvaldur Thordarson, an expert on Icelandic volcanoes at the University of Edinburgh, UK. By contrast, the latter half of the 20th century was unusually quiet.

Along with increased volcanism, more seismic activity has been recorded around Iceland, including the magnitude-6.1 quake that rocked Reykjavik in May 2008.

Aye, there's another Volcano close by Kelta or something which could erupt too, and if it does it will be a hundred times worse according to some mug on page 5 of the NOTW today.

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling that my flight to Newcastle on Friday will be cancelled. Kinda ridiculous that things like that happen when I want to fly for the second time in my life and for the first time since 2001...to my first ever game in an English stadium...

I have a feeling that my flight to Newcastle on Friday will be cancelled. Kinda ridiculous that things like that happen when I want to fly for the second time in my life and for the first time since 2001...to my first ever game in an English stadium...

That my friend is what we call a shite one.

In other news, everyone laughed at peter griffin for buying volcano insurance, who's laughing now?

That my friend is what we call a shite one.

In other news, everyone laughed at peter griffin for buying volcano insurance, who's laughing now?

Certainly not anyone watching Family Guy.

Anybody ever been to Kuala Lumpar before? Was meant to fly back today after a stop over from Bali but am obviously stuck here indefinitely...

Spose it gives me a chance to see the towers but I was meant to have an exam Tuesday and a job interview Wednesday!

Anybody ever been to Kuala Lumpar before? Was meant to fly back today after a stop over from Bali but am obviously stuck here indefinitely...

Spose it gives me a chance to see the towers but I was meant to have an exam Tuesday and a job interview Wednesday!

great city, English speaking, very modern, plenty to see and do, nice people.

great city, English speaking, very modern, plenty to see and do, nice people.

if you have the time try and get out to the hills around - very beautiful - and cool

The missus and I were in Florence on Friday when the whole thing kicked off. Flight to UK was cancelled...we had to drive from Pisa to Paris and take Eurostar home. Very lucky to have rental car already which we could use and get train tickets online, otherwise would still be stranded in Italy with the kids in UK. Cost about an extra £1,000 to get home - but we will get a £45 refund from Ryanair to compensate. On the upside we got to spend an unscheduled day in Paris in beautiful sunshine. Due to fly back to NZ on Weds but looking unlikely....c'est la vie.

Airspace in Scotland is to open from 0700 tomorrow as dust from the Icelandic volcano ceases to affect UK airspace.

Sky sources understand airspace in the Midlands will then reopen at 1200 and southern UK at 1800.

It's understood that UK airports will then be allowed to conduct operations 24 hours a day until the flight situation returns to normal.

Airspace in Scotland is to open from 0700 tomorrow as dust from the Icelandic volcano ceases to affect UK airspace.

Sky sources understand airspace in the Midlands will then reopen at 1200 and southern UK at 1800.

It's understood that UK airports will then be allowed to conduct operations 24 hours a day until the flight situation returns to normal.

I do hope so. Though with the backlog it's going to be rather crazy. Can't see myself leaving here for a few days at least (shame eh...)

Whats the difference between the Icelandic Volcano and Cheryl Cole?

The Volcanos still blowing Ash ;)

That was so like two days ago.

Sounds good. However, reports here in Germany suggest that Eurocontrol will set up 3 zones (1=no flights, 2=flights based on countrys decision, 3=free airspace) and obviously UK will be marked zone 1 so I wonder which information are true?!

Would be absolutely devastetd if my flight to Newcastle gets cancelled...but you gave me some more hope!

Edited by 1909

Uh-oh.....

BREAKING NEWS - New volcano ash cloud prompts fresh flight doubts

A new ash cloud spreading towards the UK is causing uncertainty over plans to reopen some airspace on Tuesday, air traffic control body Nats has said.

Earlier, it had announced restrictions would be lifted in Scotland, Northern Ireland and the north of England.

But fresh Met Office information showed the situation was worsening in some areas, said Nats.

Scottish airports are still expected to reopen from 0700 BST, but Nats said it would report again at 0300.

A further update will be made at 0900 BST on Tuesday.

Nats said more airspace over England was expected to become available from 1300 BST although not as far south as London's main airports.

In a statement, Nats said: "The volcano eruption in Iceland has strengthened and a new ash cloud is spreading south and east towards the UK.

"This demonstrates the dynamic and rapidly changing conditions in which we are working."

It said it expected the situation to change overnight, and pointed out it was working closely with the Met Office and the UK's safety regulator, the Civil Aviation Authority.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/8631144.stm

Could someone please tell me how I get from London to Newcastle and how much it will cost via train?! Just for the worst case...

Make your way to Kings Cross station in London. Trains for the north-east leave from there. Might be expensive if you're buying on the day. It also may be quite full ;)