Dust cloud closes airports

Rob W

Could someone please tell me how I get from London to Newcastle and how much it will cost via train?! Just for the worst case...

Make your way to Kings Cross station in London. Trains for the north-east leave from there. Might be expensive if you're buying on the day. It also may be quite full ;)

http://www.nationalrail.co.uk/

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Train prices are very reasonable if you get them early enough

I was up and down (6 journeys in total) over Christmas it only cost me about £100.

I'm up this weekend, 1st class return was £50 ish and given the journey is 3 hours and change, it's totally worth it.

I was up and down (6 journeys in total) over Christmas it only cost me about £100.

I'm up this weekend, 1st class return was £50 ish and given the journey is 3 hours and change, it's totally worth it.

"Early enough" is difficult in current circumstances. Guess I will know if my flight goes or not on Thursday morning at the earliest. And they only refund after 5 hours delay or cancellation.

How I hate this uncertainty... ;)

Well looks like flights are back to normal. Complete shite still though cos we've been booked on a flight on the 1st May due to all the backlog. If I can't get back until the 1st May I'll miss my holiday to Turkey, which is meant to leave from Gatwick then! ;)

Well looks like flights are back to normal. Complete shite still though cos we've been booked on a flight on the 1st May due to all the backlog. If I can't get back until the 1st May I'll miss my holiday to Turkey, which is meant to leave from Gatwick then! ;)

Where are you at the moment?

Mrs R got a flight to Bristol this morning, it was nearly empty apparently.

I just booked a domestic flight for this evening, was surprised to find that there was plenty of availability on most flights, I guess there isn't much of a backlog on short-haul flights.

Have been in Kuala Lumpur since Sunday. Rang the British Embassy this afternoon.. they gave us a number for some woman at Malaysian airlines instead of the shitty call centre number that the airline gave us. They're putting two extra flights on tomorrow (one to Heathrow and one to Gatwick as Heathrow is too busy apparently). We're booked on the one to Gatwick which is by complete chance as if we had waited on the airline to contact us we'd still be stranded.

Well looks like flights are back to normal. Complete shite still though cos we've been booked on a flight on the 1st May due to all the backlog. If I can't get back until the 1st May I'll miss my holiday to Turkey, which is meant to leave from Gatwick then! :icon_lol:

Have been in Kuala Lumpur since Sunday. Rang the British Embassy this afternoon.. they gave us a number for some woman at Malaysian airlines instead of the shitty call centre number that the airline gave us. They're putting two extra flights on tomorrow (one to Heathrow and one to Gatwick as Heathrow is too busy apparently). We're booked on the one to Gatwick which is by complete chance as if we had waited on the airline to contact us we'd still be stranded.

Nice one. ;)

So what really was going on eh?? Carnage for a week, reports it's getting better, then "Oh no it's getting bad again" but all of a sudden the air's full of planes again.

Smells fishy to me mind, what was flying around when nowt else was (apart from alledged ash).. hmmmmmmmmm

Edited by Toonpack

So what really was going on eh?? Carnage for a week, reports it's getting better, then "Oh no it's getting bad again" but all of a sudden the air's full of planes again.

Smells fishy to me mind, what was flying around when nowt else was (apart from alledged ash).. hmmmmmmmmm

The conditions didn't change much, they just changed the rules to allow them to fly in low density ash.

The conditions didn't change much, they just changed the rules to allow them to fly in low density ash.

Aye, the old rules stated flight was not allowed if there was any ash present at all. I'm amazed nobody had the foresight to investigate and revise this rule before the present incident though, what a waste of billions of pounds.

Muslim fundamentalists on flying carpets?

To be fair it's an unprecedented event, I believe the rules were in place to prevent planes flying near volcanoes and not in the event of an ash drift like we've seen in Northern Europe.

Though they probably should have conducted the tests as soon as the incident happened rather than waiting 5 days.

Well Im booked onto the 6.45am to Heathrow tomorrow, all was looking good until I checked out todays flights.

6.45 delayed until 12.20!

9.10 Heathrow flight - cancelled.

I could have booked onto the 20.10 tonight and stayed over in Heathrow however theres no guarantee that wouldnt be affected either.

Its still a bit of a mess like.

How far in advance did you get that? Tickets come out exactly 3 months beforehand and all the cheap tickets get snapped up on the ~day - in my experience.

Edited by Holden McGroin

Great photos but the comments are a fuckwit's paradise:

One man truly loved this Earth: He was the inspirational, the incomparable the irreplaceable visionary Michael Jackson, who said it best with his actions and his songs "HEAL THE WORLD" and "EARTH SONG" ... Today it is Earth Day! LET US REMEMBER HIM!

Great photos but the comments are a fuckwit's paradise:

One man truly loved this Earth: He was the inspirational, the incomparable the irreplaceable visionary Michael Jackson, who said it best with his actions and his songs "HEAL THE WORLD" and "EARTH SONG" ... Today it is Earth Day! LET US REMEMBER HIM!

Aye, Boston.com is a great source of premium photography and first-rate fuckwittery when it comes to comments. Being an American website every other post mentions God - if it were UK-based it would be less than one in ten. This person obviously believes MJ is God.

Its totally thrown the market by the looks of things, I think people must have given up on domestic air travel at the moment.

A BA flight from Newcastle to Heathrow tomorrow will cost £41. Thats normally about £150 for that close to the day. You can go tonight for £31!