Liverpool up for sale

Sonatine

LIVERPOOL UP FOR SALE

Liverpool owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett Jr have confirmed their intention to sell the club after appointing British Airways chairman Martin Broughton as chairman.

The American duo, whose time in control of Liverpool has been marked by controversy, have asked Barclays Capital to advise on the sale process.

A statement on the club's website said Liverpool have the "full support of its existing bankers for this process".

Hicks and Gillett had initially instructed chief executive Christian Purslow to find £100million of outside investment to reduce the club's £237million debt.

But with that still unresolved and issues over funding for a new stadium in Stanley Park and providing a substantial transfer budget for manager Rafael Benitez becoming increasingly significant the Americans have decided their best option is to sell up, admitting they have taken the club as far as they can.

"Owning Liverpool Football Club over these past three years has been a rewarding and exciting experience for us and our families," said a joint statement by the co-owners.

"Having grown this club this far we have now decided together to look to sell the club to owners committed to take the club through its next level of growth and development."

Sure it has :lol:

• Replies 717
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having grown this club this far we have now decided together to look to sell the club to owners committed to take the club through its next level of growth and development."

:lol:

I suppose negative growth is growth of some description.

Ashley's advert in the Yellow Paper...

Buy Liverpool with it's smaller stadium, it's lower catchment area, no European football, an overpaid manager you want to sack who's got years left on his contract and a squad about to jump from the sinking ship or pay a third as much for Newcastle.

Ashley's advert in the Yellow Paper...

Buy Liverpool with it's smaller stadium, it's lower catchment area, no European football, an overpaid manager you want to sack who's got years left on his contract and a squad about to jump from the sinking ship or pay a third as much for Newcastle.

:nufc:

Guest Barrack Road

If you take away Bill Shankly and Paisley's achievements, Torres/Gerrard and a plastic following of gloryhunting wanks, who I certainly don't want at my club, could you please tell me in the difference basic bricks and mortar between Newcastle United and Liverpool if you were an investor.

If you take away Bill Shankly and Paisley's achievements, Torres/Gerrard and a plastic following of gloryhunting wanks, who I certainly don't want at my club, could you please tell me in the difference basic bricks and mortar between Newcastle United and Liverpool if you were an investor.

Tbf the factors you've mentioned make a huge difference to any investor.

FORMER Celtic cup final hero Andy Lynch is at the centre of an astonishing bid to buy Liverpool.

Lynch, who scored the winner against Rangers in the 1977 Scottish Cup Final, is at the heart of crunch talks aimed at sweeping aside current Anfield co-owners Tom Hicks and George Gillett to pave the way for a new cash-rich regime.

A host of potential buyers have so far failed in attempts to take over the English giants, who are carrying debts in excess of £350million.

But now a group of megarich investors from the Gulf States - who have appointed Lynch as their chief go-between - are poised to make a substantial offer for the Reds.

The group will provide up front the kind of cash that Barclays Capital - who were hired to find new owners - are looking for.

Record Sport can exclusively reveal that top United Arab Emirates based businessman Yahya Kirdi is the driving force behind the proposed deal.

The bold plan is to invest £400m so that Liverpool's debt is wiped out and American duo Hicks and Gillett are removed.

And there are already plans in place to buy a new stadium and invest heavily in the team to make them a force to be feared again.

Lynch said: "It's a very exciting time. Talks are ongoing with Tom Hicks and George Gillett and are at an advanced stage.

"We're working round the clock to try to pull it off.

"Everyone knows Liverpool aren't the force they once were so this is just what they need at this time.

"I've been to Anfield on business recently and I'm acting as the go-between in the whole deal.

"Hopefully it's not too much longer before it's all done and dusted."

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/football/engl...86908-22189569/

For that they could buy Newcastle and Gerrard and Torres and even Kuyt and still come out with a wedge of change.

Unfortunately the glory huntng wanks are worldwide which makes a difference in income and perceived prestige - otherwise I agree with you.

Guest Barrack Road
Aye, their history makes it a lot easier to attract the right calibre of players and managers, etc. to go there.

Les Ferdinand turned them and Villa down to sign for us. Players are fickle if we were above them in the league over a three or four year period, we'd be seen as just as attractive a proposition. Who wants to live in that shithole anyway, I can never get my head round it. Do Liverpool FC have a redeeming feature? Fans? Players? Ex Players? Area? Tell me if they do, I need educating about the endearing qualities of this club.

Guest Barrack Road

Unfortunately the glory huntng wanks are worldwide which makes a difference in income and perceived prestige - otherwise I agree with you.

Not that much of a difference, our turnover was generally the same or better than their's till 2004.

Aye, their history makes it a lot easier to attract the right calibre of players and managers, etc. to go there.

Les Ferdinand turned them and Villa down to sign for us. Players are fickle if we were above them in the league over a three or four year period, we'd be seen as just as attractive a proposition. Who wants to live in that shithole anyway, I can never get my head round it. Do Liverpool FC have a redeeming feature? Fans? Players? Ex Players? Area? Tell me if they do, I need educating about the endearing qualities of this club.

They do win things occasionally tbf!

I appreciate what you're saying Stevie but while I don't have any love for Liverpool that was us riding at our highest point in terms of stature in the last 50 or 60 years or whatever whereas Liverpool were arguably at their lowest ebb since they came back up to the top flight. I think their lowest finish in that period is 7th or 8th, which is where they finished under Evans around then iirc (something we'd give our back teeth for next season). Even this year they could easily come about 6th and win the Uefa Cup and it would be considered a failure because they wouldn't be in next year's CL. That's the difference between the two clubs and what players really care about imo.

I'd disagree to an extent, because of Liverpool's European history they're likely to be a much more recognisable name than NUFC for the forseeable future, and as alex says, that makes a difference to players and managers.

They have those 'magical European nights'. Their fans with their scarfs and 'You'll Never Walk Alone' are generally held in quite high regard by the media (perhaps because most of them are Liverpool fans /ex pros).

They haven't been relegated recently.

In the last ten years they've won 2 FA cups, a few league Cups and 2 European trophies, including the CL.

I admire your stance Stevie but frankly you're deluded if you can't recognise that they're a more attractive option.

Who wants to live in that shithole anyway, I can never get my head round it. Do Liverpool FC have a redeeming feature? Fans? Players? Ex Players? Area? Tell me if they do, I need educating about the endearing qualities of this club.

Same argument applies for most clubs - just as our players can live in nice areas in Northumberland, Liverpool players can join the druglords in Cheshire.

I would also say that a lot of foreigners, even if they are typically thick footballers, are aware of the history in terms of trophies.

We had Keegan then though, who was a massive draw for players of that era. Anyone could see we were on a roll then and who knew where or when it would stop? The wallpushers on the other hand, were in a lull by their standards, Roy Evans was their manager ffs, charisma of a soggy dishcloth.

Many people don't think it's a shithole

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60

There are plenty of threads there to see what other people around the country think of Liverpool and what a splendid place it is.

For the rest of your post I'd say you need education period.

Many people don't think it's a shithole

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60

There are plenty of threads there to see what other people around the country think of Liverpool and what a splendid place it is.

For the rest of your post I'd say you need education period.

Have you ever been? Out of interest. I'm guessing you're an American, correct?

Liverpool has some nice places across the water but these tend to be suburban areas with the odd friendly pub.

The city itself does have a few nice spots but a lot of dives and don't forget most of it's architecturally desirable aspects were built by the slave trade! :lol:

Have you ever been? Out of interest. I'm guessing you're an American, correct?

Born and bred Liverpudlian.

The Wirral is a nice place to live but it's footballer area, you'd expect it to be nice.

This side of the water has some lovely places to live as well, just like most areas. The slave trade benefitted loads of towns in this country but most of Liverpools finer buildings were built well after the slave trade had ended.

Guest Barrack Road

Even the finest building the Liverbuilding looks shite though. The city centre even is pretty derelict. No where is in need more of further investment in my view.

With regard to me needing an education, expand on that please.

Edited by Barrack Road