Tech advice needed pse

LeazesMag

is there any way to upgrade part of my drive to wXP from w98se ????

I currently have 65GB as c drive, and 15GB as d drive. I want to use xp for

daily use but need to keep some space for w98se for some old games and maybe one or two applications for instance the old free version of winmx, and also internet use ....

Is a better solution to buy a 30GB hard disk [for instance] and transfer all my current data to that, and re-format my current 80gb to XP ??

Opinions much appreciated ta.

Theres a program compatibility tool within XP that allows you to run programs designed for 95 and 98. Not certain it works for all but if you havent tried it yet it may save you having two versions of Windows installed at all.

Microsoft Windows Compatibility mode

5171[/snapback]

I was told about this last night, nice idea. Also told that I might need a "key" to register along with a code [which i have, as I have a copy of a copy...... ]

Will burn a few CD's first though in case it all goes tits up or something

Do me a favour and let me know if it works and how awkward it is to set up etc.

5329[/snapback]

Ok but it may take a week or so before I get disks burned etc in case I make an arse of something

Just ran the upgrade advisor for windows xp, this is the report. I am bothered by the reference to my ADSL modem, it is only 14 months old ! Does it mean it won't work ?? As I had to insert my W98SE disk when I installed it, should I

uninstall the modem before upgrading, then re-install the modem after upgrading ? The reference to the bus also is a problem, does it mean I have to find the website and download a patch ? Also the reference to the NVIDEA

nVIEW Desktop manager. Thanks for any advice.

==============================================

Setup found hardware or software on your computer that might not or will not work with Windows XP. You should read and understand this upgrade report before continuing.

For more information, click a topic:

Warnings

Helpful Information

Setup has detected that some hardware or programs on your computer might not function correctly after the upgrade is completed. This lack of functionality can have an effect on things you might want to do, such as connecting to the Internet, accessing e-mail, printing, scanning, and playing sounds or music. It is important that you read and understand this upgrade report before continuing. To resolve some of these issues, you can get more information at the Microsoft Windows XP Professional on the Web.

Setup will automatically back up your existing version of Windows. You can restore your computer safely even if these upgrade problems remain. To uninstall Windows XP, go to Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Warnings (return to top)

The following issues might require you to obtain files from Microsoft Windows Update Web site or a manufacturer's Web site. You can still continue to upgrade to Windows XP without resolving these issues, but some hardware or software might not work. Follow the recommendations in each section.

Hardware Compatibility Issues

Setup has found hardware on your computer that is incompatible with (that is, it does not work with) Windows XP.

Hardware That Might Need Additional Files

The following hardware might need additional files in order to work with Windows XP. Contact your hardware vendors to obtain Windows XP compatible updates. In many cases, if a Windows XP version is not yet available, a Windows 2000 compatible update should work. It is recommended that you obtain these drivers in advance.

You can also view the Microsoft Windows XP Hardware Compatibility List on the Web.

Please note that some of the following entries might be software that is registered as hardware.

Imaging Device

SNAPSCAN e20 (not currently present)

Network adapters

SpeedTouch USB ADSL PPP

Printer

Hewlett-Packard DeskJet 710 Series

System devices

Alcatel Class Registry Bus

Software Compatibility Issues

Software That Does Not Support Windows XP

Setup has found programs on your computer that are incompatible with (that is, they do not work with) Windows XP. Contact your software vendors to obtain updates or Windows XP-compatible versions. If you don't update these programs before you upgrade, the programs will not work after the upgrade is completed.

CMI Audio Config (in Control Panel)

Intel® 536EP Modem (in Control Panel)

NVIDIA nView Desktop Manager (in Control Panel)

Before you upgrade to Windows XP, you should remove any incompatible programs if you can. After the upgrade, uninstall for these programs might not work. Add/Remove Programs in Control Panel can help you uninstall most programs. Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then click Add/Remove Programs.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Helpful Information (return to top)

The following issues are listed for your information only. You can continue the upgrade to Windows XP.

Software Compatibility Issues

Software That Might Not Support Windows XP

Setup cannot determine if the following programs are compatible with Windows XP. Setup will disable them during the upgrade to eliminate the risk of problems. Contact the software vendor to obtain an upgrade pack.

AntiVir Guard (a startup program)

AntiVir Scheduler (a startup program)

SpeedTouch USB Diagnostics (PPP) (a startup program)

Zone Labs Security (a startup program)

General Information

This section provides important information that you need to be aware of before you upgrade.

Recycle Bin

Setup found 9 files in your Recycle Bin. If you continue upgrading to Windows XP, these files will be deleted.

I honestly couldnt say for definite but I would have thought that a modem bought 14 months ago would be XP compatible, my guess is that its because the drivers are specific to Win98. Chances are that all you'll need to do is reinstall the hardware after you've upgraded. At worst you'll probably just need to uninstall and then replug the modem in after a restart. It should find it and install itself or ask you to put the drivers disc in.

I honestly couldnt say for definite but I would have thought that a modem bought 14 months ago would be XP compatible, my guess is that its because the drivers are specific to Win98. Chances are that all you'll need to do is reinstall the hardware after you've upgraded. At worst you'll probably just need to uninstall and then replug the modem in after a restart. It should find it and install itself or ask you to put the drivers disc in.

8344[/snapback]

thats what I think too, cheers........

• 2 weeks later...
Do me a favour and let me know if it works and how awkward it is to set up etc.

5329[/snapback]

got it all done pp, installed over the top of w98se.

Modem wasn't happy being uninstalled and re-installed after few different ways and attempts, so I installed the upgrade from the site, and bingo ! What the hell eh, it works.

Downloaded an upgrade for my 4 year old-ish printer. No probs.

Updated my sound card, OK, until I tried to play a game which is daughters favourite, which didn't work. Bollocks, I thought I was right in the shit now !

Found an XP "fix" from the manufacturers site, and it works so far, the site says if it doesn't work to go into the folders and delete a file. So I've bookmarked and kept that instruction.

Roxio is giving me bother. Windows media player 9 didn't work properly, so I downloaded version 10 and it works OK apart from slightly freezing / locking, but roxio has known problems with windows xp, and according to the roxio website there is no fix !!! Great. There is a link between roxio and XP which is bugging windows media it seems. So as I already use Audiograbber and Exact audio copy I may just use them if I can install the roxio CD cover programme on its own or find another one similar.

Think thats it. Not so bad as it sounds, nothing thats not solveable.

I lost no data at all, and for some reason when i went onto the internet it didn't ask me to register . Lad I "got" the xp disk from thinks it may be because it is still reading my w98se registration instead ..... interesting. I would rather it had asked me to register though in case i need to install again in future for some reason.

Edited by LeazesMag

I have nero express Rob, much prefer the layout of roxio, the In-CD of nero is disabled though because it clashes with the equivalent on roxio which is direct CD. I'm considering all possibilities now.

I use DVD shrink to burn DVD's - its configured to run with Nero and does it automatically.

Hoooo peasepud.......have I typed all this for nowt yu bugger :blink:

Are you going to have a go at it as well ??

Anyway, why has this section of the board suddenly stopped ?????

Hoooo peasepud.......have I typed all this for nowt  yu bugger  :blink:

Are you going to have a go at it as well ??

Anyway, why has this section of the board suddenly stopped ?????

15815[/snapback]

icon_lol.gif what I was interested in was the "Program compatibility tool" Im already on XP but wanted to see how well that worked with any incompatible programs.

Have you used that? or did everything work once you upgraded and changed drivers etc?

haven't used it yet....I did try with daughters game, ref trying to configure the sound, even though the bloody thing says xp compatible on the box...

I have one or two things which I will imminently test, I would presume it works on some sort of "slomo" principle [something like that, isn't that what they called the programme which slows down your processor speed to play older games ??

Have you tried it yourself ?

You know - I read threads like these and this is what I see...

Dmfdhfaoietr difjao ireyht0 fjaoifdfmbpurt gjfiut0rut igpajao d0frutoiurt0 uiojvhngy8 ujufhifpa-otj fjfuuryr dkapOE8RJCJHVVJLAIEUROP..... etc...etc..

Thank gawd for computer literate peeps.

Edited by catmag

You know - I read threads like these and this is what I see...

Dmfdhfaoietr difjao ireyht0 fjaoifdfmbpurt gjfiut0rut igpajao d0frutoiurt0 uiojvhngy8 ujufhifpa-otj fjfuuryr dkapOE8RJCJHVVJLAIEUROP..... etc...etc..

Thank gawd for computer literate peeps.

16041[/snapback]

blimey catmag, I don't consider meself to be owt but a novice compared to some...

Leazes,

If your Roxio is version 5 you will need an update from their website.

I've switched to Nero but had Roxio CD creator platinum V 5.0 and needed to download an upgrade from Roxio when I went to XP. If you have a problem getting the update let me know, I still have the upgrade file floating about and can stick it on a CD for you.

Leazes,

I've switched to Nero but had Roxio CD creator platinum V 5.0 and needed to download an upgrade from Roxio when I went to XP. If you have a problem getting the update let me know, I still have the upgrade file floating about and can stick it on a CD for you.

16709[/snapback]

aha...wondered when you would be back... :wink2:

I have roxio platinum and an upgrade to version 5.3.5.10

Suppose it works, but I can't stop it being part of the boot up procedure, also I can't recover data on data CD's I copied before, it stored them in a "versions" format which I can't access any more, I am wondering if it is something to do with the udf installer - and something is interfering with windows media player. I can live with these probs but would fix them if possible.

If it's only a small update file, then you could actually send it to me - I'm on broadband - ????

Why did you switch to nero ? It's probably a good programme but I think roxio is far more user friendly

Edited by LeazesMag

Leazes,

16709[/snapback]

Suppose it works, but I can't stop it being part of the boot up procedure, also I can't recover data on data CD's I copied before, it stored them in a "versions" format which I can't access any more, I am wondering if it is something to do with the udf installer - and something is interfering with windows media player. I can live with these probs but would fix them if possible.

If it's only a small update file, then you could actually send it to me - I'm on broadband - ????

Why did you switch to nero ? It's probably a good programme but I think roxio is far more user friendly

16734[/snapback]

The upgrade I have is 5.3.5.10 so it's the same one you already have. I installed the platinum version and ran the upgrade over the top and never had any problems (apart from the equivalent to incd which I don't think was supported in XP).

I changed to Nero because I started to get problems with 'buffer underun' in Roxio, it was bloody infuriating, the CD burn would get almost to the end then crash!!!

Nero's got something in the programme to stop that happening and I've never had a CD or DVD fail to burn properly since I got Nero a couple of years ago.

I think the interface is just a case of what you are used to, I prefer Nero now as I'm used to it.

If you want Nero 6 then download it from the website and I'll PM you a serial key to unlock it if you need one.

Leazes,

16709[/snapback]

16734[/snapback]

The upgrade I have is 5.3.5.10 so it's the same one you already have. I installed the platinum version and ran the upgrade over the top and never had any problems (apart from the equivalent to incd which I don't think was supported in XP).

I changed to Nero because I started to get problems with 'buffer underun' in Roxio, it was bloody infuriating, the CD burn would get almost to the end then crash!!!

Nero's got something in the programme to stop that happening and I've never had a CD or DVD fail to burn properly since I got Nero a couple of years ago.

I think the interface is just a case of what you are used to, I prefer Nero now as I'm used to it.

If you want Nero 6 then download it from the website and I'll PM you a serial key to unlock it if you need one.

16745[/snapback]

I had a problem with a new CD writer I bought last year, it kept "jumping" near the end of the disk, when the disk was full. I was convinced it was because the laser was out of sync, due to them burning from the inside to the outside it was faulty when it opened fully...I took my tower down for him to look at in the end, then he gave me 10 blank disks for my trouble and changed the CD writer.

i've got a Nero disk OEM suite which I bought, and the version 5.9 which I got with the CD writer above, so wouldn't mind version 6 though...

EDIT:

how often do you defrag windows xp, and do you boot it up in safe mode to defrag it, as with w98se anyone ?

Edited by LeazesMag

how often do you defrag windows xp, and do you boot it up in safe mode to defrag it, as with w98se anyone ?

16927[/snapback]

As a general rule, you should really defrag windows at least every two or three weeks (obviously depending on how often you install software), it doesn't really matter if you do it in safe mode or not, though it may be marginally quicker that way.

To prevent crashes and to maintain a high level of performance, you should also reset your windows page file at least once a month.

"To prevent crashes and to maintain a high level of performance, you should also reset your windows page file at least once a month."

how do you do this???

In XP, right click on 'my computer', and click 'properties'.

Click on the 'advanced' tab, and under 'performance' click the 'settings' button.

On the new window that pops-up, click on the 'advanced' tab, and under 'virtual memory' click 'change'.

Make note as to whether you virtual memory is currently set as 'custom size' or 'system managed size'; if it's custom size, be sure to make note of the numbers in the 'initial size' and 'maximum size' boxes.

Click on 'no paging file' and click 'set'. Keep pressing the various 'apply' and 'okay' buttons until you're asked to restart your machine; do so.

When you system loads back up, go back to the virtual memory settings page, and set the values back to what they were before you reset them. Click 'apply' etc. and it'll be done...

Edited by Andy