World Cup 2010

smoggeordie

As the domestic season draws to a close, the build up to the World Cup begins....

Forget the Euros, Champions League, 6 Nations, Ryder Cup and (dare I say it) Olympics. This is the greatest show on earth for me.

So what are people's hopes, expectations, predictions??

Standard to expect England to make the quarters and semis and then bottle it on penalties.

Im looking forward to this summer of football like!

I think England stand a good chance of doing very well...i expect a minimum of a semi-final place.

It will be between:

England

Argentina

Spain

Possibly...France, Holland and Brazil too.

Czech Republic and Croatia are good outside bets too.

Prediction: WC Final - England 2 v 1 Argentina

Guest Barrack Road

Well some idiots, student types, alternative view mugs, uber geordies etc... say they don't give a fuck about England but I do. I've been to two tournaments watching England and while they're not as important to me as Newcastle are, if we can win the World Cup I will be delirious.

Anyway, Carlo Ancelotti made a good point recently he said "“I think England have six top players. By that I mean players who could walk into any national side. There’s my three – Lampard, Terry and Ashley Cole. Then there’s Rio Ferdinand, who’s not having a good time of it now, but who is a great defender. Then Gerrard and I’d put Rooney in, too. Six is a lot. You’d be hard-pressed to find another country with as many in their team. Maybe Spain but Brazil definitely don’t have six of them and neither do Italy.”

Italy don't have one never mind six, and of course he's right. I wouldn't want to go in to the World Cup with any manager of the 32 sides other than Capello, I wouldn't want any other centre half partnership, and take away CR and LM I wouldn't want anyone instead of Rooney. We have a lot this time to have hope about. The thing I like about this England side is we are as quick as any team in that World Cup without a doubt, it's a shame Lennon isn't fit yet, maybe he'll be fully fit in time, but we are a quick team, and we can put teams to the sword playing the high tempo football we can.

We can pass at pace with skill. It wouldn't have been possible in say Mexico or one of those ridiculous Asian countries there have been tournaments at before and are mooted for future World Cups, as 90 degree heat isn't condusive to high level athletic performance, and the English football tempo. I'm not saying the heat has beaten us in the past, well I am, we could've won every World Cup we've entered since 1990 if it wasn't for pens, luck and the heat, there ye are. If I was a Scot reading that sentence I'd laugh but it's true. We've only lost THREE games in 90 minutes since 1970 in the WC Finals. The dismissive view is England haven't been good enough, maybe true at times, but in no way does that explain how it's 44 year since we won the World Cup.

The worry for me is complacency not ability, and also the big, big worry is Spain. I watch Barcelona and Spain play a lot like them at times. It's almost impossible to get the ball off them, but again when England we can get stuck in to anyone, but Spain on song will be difficult. When they're all fit I think Spain are better than Barcelona, but the Leo Messi (in that he's the key man not style) for Spain isn't Xavi or Iniesta as there's others who can do just as good a job it's Fernando Torres, and he's definitely out for at least 6 weeks for a knee operation. He won't be properly match fit till at least 3 weeks in to the World Cup if at all so that might be a bonus.

Italy are wank, they should apologise for winning the World Cup in my view says it all that their best player was a centre half and in the final they had 3 shots to France's 17, disgusting country, disgusting footballing style, disgusting tactics, disgusting players, disgusting war record, decent food. I hope they get fucked in every game.

Brazil have Kaka, he's been wank this season, they have some decent players, but we'll never have a better chance of turning them over. Having said that Robinho is the type of lazy superstar who could turn it on for 5 weeks win player of the tournament and win the World Cup for them, even after how shit he's been in the Prem, Argentina have Messi aye, but if they play like they did in the qualifiers you'd fancy anyone against them. Germany, pure wank. They don't have one player who'd get in the England team, maybe Ozil in a few years, anyone that says Lahm...pipe down. Holland, dark horses, van der Vaart, Schneider, Robben all pure world class, but they're far weaker at the back than England. France? Oh dear. Portugal we don't want to play them horrible greasy cunts, same thing will happen again absolutely guaranteed.

My heart says England, and we can definitely win it, but my head says Spain, with regret.

By the way I read somewhere that England had 65000 briefs for the group games and sent 1000 back, if England aren't selling out, no cunt else will be. The tickets are £12 to the locals as well and are moving slowly. Ridiculous place to hold a World Cup imo. I've booked the whole group game block of fixtures off work, but how good is it that England v USA is 730 on a Saturday night couldn't have asked for anything more really. Looking forward all of Group G, best target man in the world on one team, most succesful country another and semi finalists last time with current world player of the year another. One of the greatest groups in the last 40 years I think. Should be good.

Well some idiots, student types, alternative view mugs, uber geordies etc... say they don't give a fuck about England but I do. I've been to two tournaments watching England and while they're not as important to me as Newcastle are, if we can win the World Cup I will be delirious.

Anyway, Carlo Ancelotti made a good point recently he said "“I think England have six top players. By that I mean players who could walk into any national side. There’s my three – Lampard, Terry and Ashley Cole. Then there’s Rio Ferdinand, who’s not having a good time of it now, but who is a great defender. Then Gerrard and I’d put Rooney in, too. Six is a lot. You’d be hard-pressed to find another country with as many in their team. Maybe Spain but Brazil definitely don’t have six of them and neither do Italy.”

Italy don't have one never mind six, and of course he's right. I wouldn't want to go in to the World Cup with any manager of the 32 sides other than Capello, I wouldn't want any other centre half partnership, and take away CR and LM I wouldn't want anyone instead of Rooney. We have a lot this time to have hope about. The thing I like about this England side is we are as quick as any team in that World Cup without a doubt, it's a shame Lennon isn't fit yet, maybe he'll be fully fit in time, but we are a quick team, and we can put teams to the sword playing the high tempo football we can.

We can pass at pace with skill. It wouldn't have been possible in say Mexico or one of those ridiculous Asian countries there have been tournaments at before and are mooted for future World Cups, as 90 degree heat isn't condusive to high level athletic performance, and the English football tempo. I'm not saying the heat has beaten us in the past, well I am, we could've won every World Cup we've entered since 1990 if it wasn't for pens, luck and the heat, there ye are. If I was a Scot reading that sentence I'd laugh but it's true. We've only lost THREE games in 90 minutes since 1970 in the WC Finals. The dismissive view is England haven't been good enough, maybe true at times, but in no way does that explain how it's 44 year since we won the World Cup.

The worry for me is complacency not ability, and also the big, big worry is Spain. I watch Barcelona and Spain play a lot like them at times. It's almost impossible to get the ball off them, but again when England we can get stuck in to anyone, but Spain on song will be difficult. When they're all fit I think Spain are better than Barcelona, but the Leo Messi (in that he's the key man not style) for Spain isn't Xavi or Iniesta as there's others who can do just as good a job it's Fernando Torres, and he's definitely out for at least 6 weeks for a knee operation. He won't be properly match fit till at least 3 weeks in to the World Cup if at all so that might be a bonus.

Italy are wank, they should apologise for winning the World Cup in my view says it all that their best player was a centre half and in the final they had 3 shots to France's 17, disgusting country, disgusting footballing style, disgusting tactics, disgusting players, disgusting war record, decent food. I hope they get fucked in every game.

Brazil have Kaka, he's been wank this season, they have some decent players, but we'll never have a better chance of turning them over. Having said that Robinho is the type of lazy superstar who could turn it on for 5 weeks win player of the tournament and win the World Cup for them, even after how shit he's been in the Prem, Argentina have Messi aye, but if they play like they did in the qualifiers you'd fancy anyone against them. Germany, pure wank. They don't have one player who'd get in the England team, maybe Ozil in a few years, anyone that says Lahm...pipe down. Holland, dark horses, van der Vaart, Schneider, Robben all pure world class, but they're far weaker at the back than England. France? Oh dear. Portugal we don't want to play them horrible greasy cunts, same thing will happen again absolutely guaranteed.

My heart says England, and we can definitely win it, but my head says Spain, with regret.

By the way I read somewhere that England had 65000 briefs for the group games and sent 1000 back, if England aren't selling out, no cunt else will be. The tickets are £12 to the locals as well and are moving slowly. Ridiculous place to hold a World Cup imo. I've booked the whole group game block of fixtures off work, but how good is it that England v USA is 730 on a Saturday night couldn't have asked for anything more really. Looking forward all of Group G, best target man in the world on one team, most succesful country another and semi finalists last time with current world player of the year another. One of the greatest groups in the last 40 years I think. Should be good.

GREAT post!

England are shit.

Yeah because Ireland are fantastic...Have they had 6 world class players in their history never mind in their squad!?!

You'll get some great odds on that considering both teams aren't in the finals.

;)

Although at this stage in 1992, Denmark weren't going to the European Championships. Yugoslavia were booted out and Denmark drafted in as replacements. Who won it again?

Guest Barrack Road

;)

Although at this stage in 1992, Denmark weren't going to the European Championships. Yugoslavia were booted out and Denmark drafted in as replacements. Who won it again?

John "Faxe" Jensen's goal was unbelievable, when you think he didn't score again for four years against QPR.

That tournament from England's point of view will be remembered for Alan Smith replacing Lineker, but can you remember when Basile Boli nutted Pearce full belt in the face. Pearce head was like he'd been 15 rounds with Apollo Creed, and he just played on like nothing happened and even shook his hand iirc at the end <_< One in a million Stuart Pearce or he certainly is by today's standards.

True hilarity.

Good post though. I'm not quite as ready to write Germany off as you are but I think with their keeper troubles they won't pose much of a threat. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed we don't face those Portuguese scum again. Argentina won't get far, I don't think - it'll take more than miracles from Messi to undo the fact that Maradona is a crack-addled fat dullard.

Guest Barrack Road

True hilarity.

Good post though. I'm not quite as ready to write Germany off as you are but I think with their keeper troubles they won't pose much of a threat. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed we don't face those Portuguese scum again. Argentina won't get far, I don't think - it'll take more than miracles from Messi to undo the fact that Maradona is a crack-addled fat dullard.

Messi doesn't play as well for Argentina as he hasn't got the players around him he has at Barca who allow him to play his game, and are always available for a pass. Lets be honest Jonas aint Barca quality, neither is Aguerro or even Mascherano.

Think about MacLaren's last game in charge v Croatia at Wembley.....sure, they've moved on 100% playing wise since that night but the thought struck me during that piss poor performance in the second half that, when the going gets tough, these fuckers really dont know how to "want" it enough because theyve all been corrupted by fuckin money. And I still stand by that. It will be a major surprise to me if they reach the semi finals.

Add to that Rio has been injured most of the season, Terry is a shell of the player he was 2 years ago, Gerrard is moving into the same category,Lamps has scored a few goals but is generally a bit meh...Rooney if fit will terrorise every defence he comes across but youve got to get the ball to him and I'm not sure that when you play the better teams in the latter stages England are a. good enough to keep the ball for more than 4 passes or b. have the passion and commitment (and the right refereeing interpretations) to get the ball back off Xavi,Iniesta,Schweinsteiger,Ballack,Cambiasso, and/or the other players of any other fairly useful nation who really know how to play tournament football, because if all the diasappontments in the last 44 years have taught us one thing, its that the England domestic season is probably the worst possible preparation for the World Cup or the Euros regardless of where its being held.

I'd love to be proved wrong but I'm not holding my breath...oh and the Euros are usually better to watch anyway. Too many piss poor teams in the World Cup....32 fuckin teams and the jocks still cant qualify ;)

No? Oh my bad... <_<

Anyway its always you....just fuck off fella ;):icon_lol:

;)

Can't see past Spain personally although I think we have a decent chance. All about Rooney imo.

Guest Barrack Road

I'll map it

Group A 1. France 2. Uruguay

Group B 1. Argentina 2. South Korea

Group C 1. England 2. Slovenia

Group D 1. Germany 2. Australia

Group E 1. Holland 2. Denmark

Group F 1. Italy (fuckin mugs) 2. Paraguay

Group G 1. Brazil 2. Portugal

Group H 1. Spain 2. Chile

2nd Round

FRANCE - S Korea

ENGLAND - Australia

HOLLAND - Paraguay

BRAZIL - Chile

ARGENTINA - Uruguay

GERMANY - Slovenia

ITALY - Denmark

SPAIN - Portugal

QF

France - ENGLAND

Holland - BRAZIL

Argentina - GERMANY

Italy - SPAIN

ENGLAND - Brazil

Germany - SPAIN

England - SPAIN

Guest Barrack Road
"disgusting country, disgusting footballing style, disgusting tactics, disgusting players, disgusting war record, decent food" ;)

How many countries can we apply this statement to?

Certainly not Scotland, the foods shite up there.

"disgusting country, disgusting footballing style, disgusting tactics, disgusting players, disgusting war record, decent food" ;)

How many countries can we apply this statement to?

Certainly not Scotland, the foods shite up there.

<_<

England are shit.

May get shot down in replies, But I genuinely think there are only two better teams than England and that's Spain and Brazil.

Argentina with Maradonna are poor, Italy are over the hill. Germany have a good work ethic but aren't anything to be feared and I believe we're better than France, Holland, Portugal etc

I'll map it

Group A 1. France 2. Uruguay

Group B 1. Argentina 2. South Korea

Group C 1. England 2. Slovenia

Group D 1. Germany 2. Australia

Group E 1. Holland 2. Denmark

Group F 1. Italy (fuckin mugs) 2. Paraguay

Group G 1. Brazil 2. Portugal

Group H 1. Spain 2. Chile

2nd Round

FRANCE - S Korea

ENGLAND - Australia

HOLLAND - Paraguay

BRAZIL - Chile

ARGENTINA - Uruguay

GERMANY - Slovenia

ITALY - Denmark

SPAIN - Portugal

QF

France - ENGLAND

Holland - BRAZIL

Argentina - GERMANY

Italy - SPAIN

ENGLAND - Brazil

Germany - SPAIN

England - SPAIN

the problem there is, the aussies are a cunt to a man, so they will be so up for this it will be their final

then france in the next round, once again we need to play like we do in the premier league and not like ManU did in the champions League

I can see us losing to both brazil and spain

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Barrack Road

This is the official world cup thread as it was the first one.

I can't remember a World Cup where less has been written about it or there's less of a build up. I mean it's there but it's just seemed secondary to this point.

Redknapp seems to think 8 of his squad could be on the plane, he's a fuckin idiot, but I really think taking Ledley King isn't a bad idea, he's a fantastic player, anyone who says he's too slow, how often does he get done in the Premiership??

This is the official world cup thread as it was the first one.

I can't remember a World Cup where less has been written about it or there's less of a build up. I mean it's there but it's just seemed secondary to this point.

Redknapp seems to think 8 of his squad could be on the plane, he's a fuckin idiot, but I really think taking Ledley King isn't a bad idea, he's a fantastic player, anyone who says he's too slow, how often does he get done in the Premiership??

Aye there's normally like a 100 day countdown in all the papers etc. I personally can't wait for it. Exams will be over, beer will be flowing and it'll be a month of footballing heaven.