Plymouth Argyle 0-2 NUFC

Barney

Just got back.

Superb evening. I was actually in one of the Argyle stands as I went with a Plymouth fan who I long ago agreed to go with, well before the significance of the match was made apparent. Was torturous trying to keep my emotions to myself.

Was on the pitch at the end and I've not been amongst such a happy set of our lot in a long time. There were several Argyle fans on the pitch too and they were very decent people - some went of their way to congratulate us. And vice versa.

When the only negative I can really speak of concerning the Argyle fans was the typical one or two shouting "break his legs" whenever Barton was near, that says a lot. They weren't the loudest, as was to be expected, but a fair amount of them kept singing till the end. We wound them up a bit with the usual "your support is fucking shit" type chant, but I think they appreciated us, what we've achieved and how delighted we were. We were celebrating purely because of our own success - there was nothing spiteful or negative against them. They were decent towards in almost every aspect, from the programme (bit surprised to read it and see Leon Best as their choice of our players as "one to watch", mind) to the music.

Lovely club, great night. Could still hear Toon Toon and "Ole ole ole" from my hotel when I went to sleep.

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Plymouth proved the perfect party hosts to Newcastle, despite their own inpending relegation.

The club played Queen's We Are The Champions plus Newcastle anthems like Blaydon Races as more than 2,000 Geordies celebrated with a pitch invasion.

Newcastle top scorer Kevin Nolan praised the Devon club after battling through delirious fans to the champagne in the dressing room.

Players threw manager Chris Hughton and his coaching staff into the bath after the game, and Nolan said: 'Their hospitality towards us was absolutely brilliant. We have not always had that where we have been this season.

'They were fantastic, and we hope they bounce back quickly. They are a proper football club.'

;)