St George's Day

smoggeordie

From my experience, the Malaysian, Philipino and Indian upper classes have a strange reverence for us, and wish they could be as civilised as we must appear to be to them... Obviously the Yanks often have a soft spot for us and wish they could speak like Hugh Grant. Portuguese seem to think that we only send the dreggs of our society to the Algarve, and assume that most of the country are much better behaved, and hence give us a lot of respect. If only they knew...

:icon_lol: I'm going to Alberfera for the first week of the World Cup so I'll let you know....we did the same for the Euros a couple of years back and it was really good, little sign of real bother, just the usual drunken daftness, which continental types look down upon. Can't say I blame them, but its much the same attitiude as we have about the Poles etc...nothing new under the sun ;)

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Barrack Road
From my experience, the Malaysian, Philipino and Indian upper classes have a strange reverence for us, and wish they could be as civilised as we must appear to be to them... Obviously the Yanks often have a soft spot for us and wish they could speak like Hugh Grant. Portuguese seem to think that we only send the dreggs of our society to the Algarve, and assume that most of the country are much better behaved, and hence give us a lot of respect. If only they knew...

Aye that's because we've won more wars for them than we have the French.

It should be a world holiday, for everything we've given the world, which is more than any cunt else. There should be a thank England day, for giving the world modern life, for OVERALL, giving humanity proper structure, fairness, understanding, and most importantly football. It should be a national holiday in every country in the world imo, today.

Brought back from the edge of lunacy by that clause.

Pipe down. We've done more for the world than anyone. Half the people in the world would be in caves if it wasn't for us.

Half the fuckers still should :icon_lol:

Dunno like. the Romans were canny ;)

Go on then, I'll indulge JawD with his favourite joke:

What did the Romans ever do for us?

Aye that's because we've won more wars for them than we have the French.

That's definitely a part of it. England-Portugal is apparently the oldest inter-country allliance - something to do with conquering bits of Africa I think.

:icon_lol: I'm going to Alberfera for the first week of the World Cup so I'll let you know....we did the same for the Euros a couple of years back and it was really good, little sign of real bother, just the usual drunken daftness, which continental types look down upon. Can't say I blame them, but its much the same attitiude as we have about the Poles etc...nothing new under the sun ;)

Oh I'm not saying there's owt wrong with the Brits who go to the Alrgarve - been there myself in fact. I just find it funny that they assume for some reason that the people there aren't representative of Brits as a whole... no idea where the assumption comes from, like. I think the French work in the opposite way - they refuse to believe that there are any reasonably behaved people in England at all. I think it just helps them to feel better about themselves.

Just popped into town and the place is mobbed with people draped in England flags, England footy shirts, stupid hats etc. Just like Paddys day but less green tbh. Big police presence as well.

That fine bastion of a public house, Lineker's bar, had been taken over by the 'English Defence League' when I walked past. What a nice friendly bunch they look, not at all intimidating if you don't happen to fit their idea of English skin colour.

All in all depressing stuff, and it's not hard to see why St George's day won't take off for the mainstream.

Just popped into town and the place is mobbed with people draped in England flags, England footy shirts, stupid hats etc. Just like Paddys day but less green tbh. Big police presence as well.

That fine bastion of a public house, Lineker's bar, had been taken over by the 'English Defence League' when I walked past. What a nice friendly bunch they look, not at all intimidating if you don't happen to fit their idea of English skin colour.

All in all depressing stuff, and it's not hard to see why St George's day won't take off for the mainstream.

I was walking to the Station at that time and noticed LOADS of coppers, especially mounted one. I walked past Linekers and man, it was mental, loads of skin heads with Dc Martins on, I did speed up walking past it.

I then walked past Head of Steam and noticed a couple of coppers looking at something, I noticed a lad laid on the floor next to two lads. He was FUCKED, couldnt keep his eyes open, covered in vomit, totally mortal.

Maybe Ant could answer this, but whats places like Dublin like on Paddys day? Similar?

Wandered across Trafalgar Square on the way to the pub earlier and they had a big stage up for the St. George's Day celebrations. As we passed, a rhythm 'n' blues band started playing "All Shook Up". It made me proud to be English. :razz:

It's a lovely flag though, iyam.

yeah but it could be anyone's whereas the Union Flag is truly unique

You're living proof that's not always a good thing though, Robert :razz: