Transfer Deadline Day 2011

Christmas Tree

Seeing as you didn't initially give the the credit to anyone else you did indeed steal it.

Anyway, I'm not getting involved in such a pointless argument with such a pointless poster.

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Over the last 5+ years we've really sucked at giving opportunities to promising players coming through with player like Nicky Butt and Geremi favoured becauseof their experience (which now includes relegation).

That needs to improve greatly.

Andy Carroll, Nile Ranger, Kadar, Tozer, Edgar, Krul, Vuckic and Tavernier have all played come through over the last 2 seasons.

I don't think we won't give promising players an opportunity, i just don't think the players are coming through, we haven't produced a decent central midfielder since Lee Clark..

Iirc there have been no examples in recent years of young players we've released who've gone on to play at the top level.

Over the last 5+ years we've really sucked at giving opportunities to promising players coming through with player like Nicky Butt and Geremi favoured becauseof their experience (which now includes relegation).

Andy Carroll, Nile Ranger, Kadar, Tozer, Edgar, Krul, Vuckic and Tavernier have all played come through over the last 2 seasons.

I don't think we won't give promising players an opportunity, i just don't think the players are coming through, we haven't produced a decent central midfielder since Lee Clark..

Iirc there have been no examples in recent years of young players we've released who've gone on to play at the top level.

Slightly connected...

I dropped a woman off at housing near that Dunston Rocket and she was telling me that the lamposts have signs on then warning kids face an £80 fine for playing ball games.

Seeing as you didn't initially give the the credit to anyone else you did indeed steal it.

Anyway, I'm not getting involved in such a pointless argument with such a pointless poster.

I never claimed to write the list. The reason you wouldn't want to argue is because you are wrong. Atleast, you gathered that. Now move along and be gone.

Edited by Flair

One thing i picked up on this season is the Championship teams are desperate for loan signings, we should be using them to help develop anyone we think has potential. Man-u have been doing it for years.

Ranger certainly looks like he could do with a few seasons loaned out.

x Iker Muniain (Atletic Bilbao)

x Mesut Özil (Werder Bremen)

x Eden Hazard (Lille)

x Simon Kjaer (Palermo)

x Rui Patrício (Sporting)

x Thomas Müller (Bayern Münich)

x Sotiris Ninis (Panathinaikos)

x Nuri Şahin (Feyenoord)

x Rasmus Elm (AZ Alkmaar)

x Emir Bajrami (Elfsborg)

x Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich)

x Lulinha (Corinthians)

x Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moscow)

x Alexis Sánchez (Udinese)

x Marko Marin (Werder Bremen)

x Siem de Jong (Ajax)

x Jozy Altidore (Hull City)

x Henri Saivet (Bordeaux)

x Erton Fejzullahu (N.E.C)

x Miralem Sulejmani (Ajax)

x Jeremy Menez (Roma))

x Renan Oliveira (Atlético Mineiro))

x Marko Arnautovic (Twente)

x Neymar (Santos)

x Mame Biram Diouf (Molde)

Top young talents in Europe. How many of them will end up at our club? If this scouting network is serious, atleast a few but I doubt it.

You can't be serious? Most of these are already regulars for their clubs and are already well out of our reach. Granted, most of them are immense talents, but the likes of Eden Hazard, already a regular for Lille would command a figure well above anything we could afford/be willing to pay and in any case would have interest from Arsenal, Chelsea, Spain etc. Take Mame Diouf for instance, who is no longer with Molde by the way if you havn't notcied, he's with Manchester United.

We can't pick up the biggest talents in this age bracket, our only hope is to get them when their even younger as we have done with the likes of Vucick or go for less obviously, unproven young players as the likes Blackburn have done in recent times picking up decent promising players like Olsson and Nzonzi for next to nothing.

EDIT- I just remembered who Flair used to be, makes sense now.

Edited by TicTacWoe

x Iker Muniain (Atletic Bilbao)

x Mesut Özil (Werder Bremen)

x Eden Hazard (Lille)

x Simon Kjaer (Palermo)

x Rui Patrício (Sporting)

x Thomas Müller (Bayern Münich)

x Sotiris Ninis (Panathinaikos)

x Nuri Şahin (Feyenoord)

x Rasmus Elm (AZ Alkmaar)

x Emir Bajrami (Elfsborg)

x Toni Kroos (Bayern Munich)

x Lulinha (Corinthians)

x Alan Dzagoev (CSKA Moscow)

x Alexis Sánchez (Udinese)

x Marko Marin (Werder Bremen)

x Siem de Jong (Ajax)

x Jozy Altidore (Hull City)

x Henri Saivet (Bordeaux)

x Erton Fejzullahu (N.E.C)

x Miralem Sulejmani (Ajax)

x Jeremy Menez (Roma))

x Renan Oliveira (Atlético Mineiro))

x Marko Arnautovic (Twente)

x Neymar (Santos)

x Mame Biram Diouf (Molde)

Top young talents in Europe. How many of them will end up at our club? If this scouting network is serious, atleast a few but I doubt it.

I will bite my balls off and suck them clean dry if we even attempt to enquire about the availability of these players.

I might be getting whooshed here but how does buying young quality players constitute a workable plan for success in anyway? It's what every fucking club out there is trying to do man. You might as well say I think we should try and win some trophies. <_<

he/Asprilla/Xmas Tree actually thinks trying to build a team good enough to win trophies is a bad idea :aye:

I might be getting whooshed here but how does buying young quality players constitute a workable plan for success in anyway? It's what every fucking club out there is trying to do man. You might as well say I think we should try and win some trophies. <_<

Yes but some people still seem to have a problem with it. We had a dressing room full of egos and wages that were way too high for the results we were getting. I know it's easy to have a pop at Ashley but this policy is clearly an improvement on the latter years of the Shepherd era.

Arsenal, ManU, Barcelona constantly have good young players coming through who they either keep hold of or sell on for a profit. I don't think we did it enough.

As I say, it remains to be seen what happens but I think it's the right approach for where we are and where we'd got to.

only in very rare cases, and they don't sell them to bigger clubs like Wigan. :aye:

Yes but some people still seem to have a problem with it. We had a dressing room full of egos and wages that were way too high for the results we were getting. I know it's easy to have a pop at Ashley but this policy is clearly an improvement on the latter years of the Shepherd era.

Arsenal, ManU, Barcelona constantly have good young players coming through who they either keep hold of or sell on for a profit. I don't think we did it enough.

As I say, it remains to be seen what happens but I think it's the right approach for where we are and where we'd got to.

I have a bad feeling this is about to turn into a Leazes thread

I'll let him dig a deeper hole........

Beardsley is telling peope at talk-ins that the current crop of youngsters are the best he's seen.

He would say that though, wouldn't he?

We're in the semi-final of the youth cup are we not?

we won it in 1985, just before Beardsley fucked off to Liverpool despite all those great youngsters [inc Gazza] waiting to join him in the first team.

Beardsley is telling peope at talk-ins that the current crop of youngsters are the best he's seen.

Yep, we were a few years back too. Not a huge amount seem to get through the ranks though.

What I was getting at is Beardo in charge of the youths?

I never claimed to write the list. The reason you wouldn't want to argue is because you are wrong. Atleast, you gathered that. Now move along and be gone.

<_< That's me telt.

Yep, we were a few years back too. Not a huge amount seem to get through the ranks though.

What I was getting at is Beardo in charge of the youths?

I know.

He generally talks shite though, he's a "tell them what they want to hear" man. Personally, I have never forgotten when he waved to the Kop just before he left Newcastle and denied he was about to sign for them.

I understand that at heart he's as much a NUFC fan as a lot of us, but there is nowt wrong with telling it like it is sometimes. I doubt that anybody in this youth team is as good as Gazza was, and he was the ONLY player in that team that made it to the top.

Of the players you've named there only Andy Carroll has been given more than a handful of games in the first team. Of the rest the majority have played a handful of games or less for the first side. Ranger for example looked to be getting a chance to figure in the first team, and then in January Best was purchased. Kadar despite looking good whenever played couldn't get in the side ahead of a short term loanee in Fitz Hall. Vukic and Inman despite playing exceptionally well in the reserve/youth setup can't get into the first side even on the bench. Granted some of these players aren't vey old, but ifthey can't get a spot on the bench whilst we're in he Championship then what chance do they have in he Premier League?

I think in part we're still suffering from the decimation of the youth setup as overseen by Shepherd. With the youth setup removed only players in the first team were considered with no real a emir to progress through. The paths are slowly being reopened, but so far it has been too slow for my liking.

Of the players you've named there only Andy Carroll has been given more than a handful of games in the first team. Of the rest the majority have played a handful of games or less for the first side. Ranger for example looked to be getting a chance to figure in the first team, and then in January Best was purchased. Kadar despite looking good whenever played couldn't get in the side ahead of a short term loanee in Fitz Hall. Vukic and Inman despite playing exceptionally well in the reserve/youth setup can't get into the first side even on the bench. Granted some of these players aren't vey old, but ifthey can't get a spot on the bench whilst we're in he Championship then what chance do they have in he Premier League?

I think in part we're still suffering from the decimation of the youth setup as overseen by Shepherd. With the youth setup removed only players in the first team were considered with no real a emir to progress through. The paths are slowly being reopened, but so far it has been too slow for my liking.

Yeah I don't disagree with you, but bringing through youth players that aren't good enough or aren't ready is not going to help them or the club. It's for young players to come in to the first team and play so well that they can't be dropped. Carroll has done that but I don't think that Ranger or Kadar have done that yet, admittedly they still look better than Hall or Best but not the first team incumbent.

Yeah I don't disagree with you, but bringing through youth players that aren't good enough or aren't ready is not going to help them or the club. It's for young players to come in to the first team and play so well that they can't be dropped. Carroll has done that but I don't think that Ranger or Kadar have done that yet, admittedly they still look better than Hall or Best but not the first team incumbent.

It would be nice to see Best get a goal before he is totally written off.

Hope its just stagefright and that a goal will open the floodgates. Not convinced like.

It would be nice to see Best get a goal before he is totally written off.

Hope its just stagefright and that a goal will open the floodgates. Not convinced like.

He has proved inadequate at CCC level for me. Chalk it off as a bad buy and get rid..

I worry he was a last minute panic buy when they failed to land either Beckford or Moses.

Is the right answer (imo), unfortunately <_<

EDIT: Still, its a bit premature to write him off. He's only been here 5 mins and he's joined an established winning team. Enrique is by far and away our best player but he's taken time to settle. It's not a direct comparison btw - Enrique has/had far more reasons for needing time to settle - the point I was meaning is that players dont settle instantly.

Best is trying to prove his worth and work his way into the starting 11. Problem is, the 2 places he could occupy are currently being taken by 2 players in excellent form. When he does get a chance he's under immense pressure to produce something because he's got to do something special to break those 2 up.

I'm not trying to justify him btw or make excuses for him; but there are circumstances to take into account. I just think its a bit early to write him off.