Transfer Deadline Day 2011

Christmas Tree

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict a left back on loan (most likely that Man City lad) and possibly a striker one way or another.

Newcastle United boss Chris Hughton admits he's seeking a new left-back.

Hughton hopes to add to his squad in the final days of the market.

He said: "There are still a couple of days to go, but if I was left with the squad I’ve got now, I would be happy. We’re most definitely still looking at left-back, but James Perch can play at left-back as well.

“It’s perhaps not naturally left-footed cover, but we certainly have cover there."

Looks likely to be a left back then.

Although at least we've got James Perch as cover for there too... he's a cracking player at right back ;)

Seriously?

We desperately need another striker tbh. Ameobi and Best aren't good enough, and Ranger and Xisco have a lot to prove. We can't rely on Carroll. If he gets injured, as things stand, we'll be in trouble.

I'd take any half decent striker, loan or permanent move. Another LB would be nice but another striker is more important. Hughton probably thinks the likes of Ameobi are good enough, sadly.

Seriously?

We desperately need another striker tbh. Ameobi and Best aren't good enough, and Ranger and Xisco have a lot to prove. We can't rely on Carroll. If he gets injured, as things stand, we'll be in trouble.

I'd take any half decent striker, loan or permanent move. Another LB would be nice but another striker is more important. Hughton probably thinks the likes of Ameobi are good enough, sadly.

I think he's gambling on Carroll and Nolan being good enough and staying fit between now and January at least (or in Carroll's case, fit and out of jail). Best is Carroll back up, Lovenkrands is impact sub off the bench 15 mins left, ditto Xisco but 5 mins left, Ranger is a reserve player. That leaves Ameobi to clean the boots and make the tea ;)

I think our biggest problem is we have 2 or 3 strikers we need to shift before the FCB will sanction a further recruit up front, but we can't move them on because they're below average and overpriced ie Xisco, Best, Ameobi

Best shouldn't be anyone's* back-up. Ameobi shouldn't still be at the club.

*Maybe Kate the tea lady, at a push.

Agreed, but Best was Hughton's signing and he probably had to crawl over broken glass to convince Ashley to agree it. So it's difficult to admit failure.

Ameobi has delusions of adequacy and I reckon he won't trade down to his level ie Division 1.

• 1 month later...

Over the top target man. Should never get into the team ahead of Carroll and maybe not even Ameobi. I might have taken him for free to provide cover, but he would never agree to that. Cash money should be spent on something else.

Over the top target man. Should never get into the team ahead of Carroll and maybe not even Ameobi. I might have taken him for free to provide cover, but he would never agree to that. Cash money should be spent on something else.

He's a good player and much better than Ameobi imo.