Christmas Tree

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
HUGHTON HOPING SMITH STAYS

Posted 20/11/10 13:01

Newcastle manager Chris Hughton is determined to keep Alan Smith at the club despite his lack of playing time lately.

The former Leeds and Manchester United midfielder, who made the transition from striker, has only played four times in the Premier League this season.

With Blackburn and Stoke reportedly keen on taking him away from St James' Park when the transfer window opens, speculation has mounted that his Toon career is coming to an end.

However, Hughton wants to keep hold of everyone in the squad as he does not expect to have money to spend on new talent.

"It is even more important now that we do not lose players. I do not anticipate anyone coming in when the transfer window opens in January and, if that is the case, I do not want anyone going out," he told the Daily Express.

"Alan has been a fantastic player for us and, irrespective of whether he is playing or not, he's a good player to have around.

"It is always difficult for a player who is not playing when he is used to playing and Smithy is no different.

"It is never an easy time but that is the nature of the game."

Should Smith show any willingness to leave then Ashley and Llambias will take that decision out of Hughton's hands.

You mean Mike "I've got Smith on my shirt" Ashley?

Should Smith show any willingness to leave then Ashley and Llambias will take that decision out of Hughton's hands.

You mean Mike "I've got Smith on my shirt" Ashley?

Yeah, the same Mike "I used to have King Kev on my shirt" Ashley.

Rumour on newsnow about Emre signing for Liverpool for £8m in January, hope that's true like.

From Wikipedia -

After a disappointing first season, consistent performances in the next saw Emre rewarded with the Turkish League player of the year in season 2009–2010. Emre was effective at both ends of the pitch, his experience and combative style proving a valuable asset in taking his team so close in both league and cup.

Rumour on newsnow about Emre signing for Liverpool for £8m in January, hope that's true like.

From Wikipedia -

After a disappointing first season, consistent performances in the next saw Emre rewarded with the Turkish League player of the year in season 2009–2010. Emre was effective at both ends of the pitch, his experience and combative style proving a valuable asset in taking his team so close in both league and cup.

I can't remember him being 8 million good.

Better than Poulsen mind.

From Wikipedia -

Dalian Atkinson was the best player in Turkey once...

No defense in Emre and inconsistent as, as well as injury prone. Would be a poor signing for Liverpool as Gerrard already offers them an inconsistent spoilt midfielder who doesn't play in any particular position. Gerrard though is certainly capable of better than Emre, and gets away with all sorts of shit because he's England's Stevie G.

I'm sure Hughton will be identifying a decent striking prospect for January.

Absolute shot in the dark here but what about Ryan Babel? Alledgedly the dippers want rid.

and they have everyright...

Probably offer more than Loven and Best though.

Edited by khay

Absolute shot in the dark here but what about Ryan Babel? Alledgedly the dippers want rid.

I expect Best is embarrassed to pick up his wages, such has been his contribution so far.....

Don't know about Babel, on several occasions he's looked class but the very fact that both Rafa and Roy havn't seemed keen on him even when they have injuries makes me worried. Was really highly rated before he went there though.

Don't know about Babel, on several occasions he's looked class but the very fact that both Rafa and Roy havn't seemed keen on him even when they have injuries makes me worried. Was really highly rated before he went there though.

Head down shoots/run into someone is pretty much all I see.

• 2 weeks later...