Transfer Deadline Day 2011

Christmas Tree

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11661_6220620,00.html

Newcastle are looking to broker a deal for Bolton's Jlloyd Samuel, skysports.com understands.

The 27-year-old has been with Bolton since 2007 after leaving his first club Aston Villa.

He has been a first-team regular at The Reebok, playing anywhere across the back four.

Now he has emerged as a target for Newcastle boss Chris Hughton - who is hoping to strike a deal for the Trinidad & Tobago international.

Samuel, 29, has one-year left on his current contract and Newcastle are hoping they can land their man for less than £1.5million.

27 or 29, 27 or 29, 27 or 29 J-Lloyd Samuel!!!

Sky Sports sources understand Bolton Wanderers have rejected a £1million offer from Newcastle United for defender Jlloyd Samuel.

Skysports.com revealed on Tuesday that the newly-promoted Magpies had lined up a move for Samuel as Chris Hughton seeks to strengthen his squad.

Newcastle have stepped up their interest by lodging a seven-figure bid for the left-back, but Bolton have turned down the opening offer.

Samuel has just 12 months remaining on his contract at the Reebok Stadium and struggled to make an impression after Owen Coyle'sappointment as manager midway through last season.

The 29-year-old made only one appearance in the Premier League after Coyle replaced Gary Megson at the helm and he could be allowed to leave over the summer.

Since joining Bolton from Aston Villa three years ago, Samuel has made a total of 83 appearances for the club, without scoring a goal.

source

• Replies 3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slavia Sofia president Ventsislav Stefanov has confirmed Newcastle United's interest in keeper Rais M'Bohli.

The Algeria international has impressed in South Africa this summer after keeping a clean sheet against England.

The 24-year-old shot-stopper had a trial with Manchester United prior to linking up with his country for the finals.

Magpies manager Chris Hughton is now believed to be weighing up a £1million move for the talented keeper.

Stefanov claims Newcastle are interested in their prized asset, stating in The Sun: "Newcastle's interest is very strong."

SSN

Why can't they use another team to drum up interest in one of their players? Another keeper can't be a necessity...

could be to pave the way for this...?

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-Exclusive-Celtic-plot-move-for-Newcastle-star-Steve-Harper-article489251.html

Slavia Sofia president Ventsislav Stefanov has confirmed Newcastle United's interest in keeper Rais M'Bohli.

The Algeria international has impressed in South Africa this summer after keeping a clean sheet against England.

The 24-year-old shot-stopper had a trial with Manchester United prior to linking up with his country for the finals.

Magpies manager Chris Hughton is now believed to be weighing up a £1million move for the talented keeper.

Stefanov claims Newcastle are interested in their prized asset, stating in The Sun: "Newcastle's interest is very strong."

SSN

Why can't they use another team to drum up interest in one of their players? Another keeper can't be a necessity...

Newcastle boss Chris Hughton has dismissed reports linking Steve Harper with a move to Celtic.

Recent reports suggested Celtic were lining up a move for Harper as a possible replacement for Artur Boruc.

However, Hughton has moved quickly to reject the speculation and insists he has no plans to sell long-serving keeper Harper.

"I can categorically state that there is nothing in that," Hughton told the Evening Chronicle.

"We just won't sell him. He's our No.1 goalkeeper, he had a great season for us and he's a very important member of our squad."

Denial

Hughton also rejected rumours that Newcastle were interested in Algeria goalkeeper Rais Mbolhi.

Mbolhi's club Slavia Sofia claimed earlier this week that Newcastle were keen on signing the shot-stopper, but Hughton has ruled out a move for the African.

"I actually had a text message from someone about that player, asking if I would be interested and that is as far as that has gone," added Hughton.

"I wasn't even aware of him or his name, so it's surprising to hear those reports. We are definitely not interested."

Good.

I thought the Slovenian RB looked canny. Better than Simpson et Ryan Taylor that's for sure. No idea who he plays for like.

I thought the Slovenian RB looked canny. Better than Simpson et Ryan Taylor that's for sure. No idea who he plays for like.

Breko, being targeted by Lazio according to the Beeb

They say he lacks pace, which is worrying, but I didn't notice that last night

Edited by The Fish

could be to pave the way for this...?

http://www.mirrorfootball.co.uk/news/Transfer-Exclusive-Celtic-plot-move-for-Newcastle-star-Steve-Harper-article489251.html

SSN

Possibly... but then this was in today's SSN:

Newcastle boss Chris Hughton has dismissed reports linking Steve Harper with a move to Celtic.

Recent reports suggested Celtic were lining up a move for Harper as a possible replacement for Artur Boruc.

However, Hughton has moved quickly to reject the speculation and insists he has no plans to sell long-serving keeper Harper.

"I can categorically state that there is nothing in that," Hughton told the Evening Chronicle.

"We just won't sell him. He's our No.1 goalkeeper, he had a great season for us and he's a very important member of our squad."

Denial

Hughton also rejected rumours that Newcastle were interested in Algeria goalkeeper Rais Mbolhi.

Mbolhi's club Slavia Sofia claimed earlier this week that Newcastle were keen on signing the shot-stopper, but Hughton has ruled out a move for the African.

"I actually had a text message from someone about that player, asking if I would be interested and that is as far as that has gone," added Hughton.

"I wasn't even aware of him or his name, so it's surprising to hear those reports. We are definitely not interested."

Denial

Good.

Possibly... but then this was in today's SSN:

Denial

;)

I thought he looked pretty quick.

Newcastle United explore Andrew O’Brien option

Jun 25 2010 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

NEWCASTLE United are considering a St James’ Park return for former defender Andrew O’Brien.

Chris Hughton is hoping to make a transfer breakthrough before Newcastle’s players return for pre-season training on July 5 and although their transfer blueprint is to bring in young players under the age of 25, he is not completely ruling out moves for more experienced players.

As with O’Brien’s Reebok Stadium colleague Jlloyd Samuel, the interest is no more than tentative at the moment and he is on a long list of players being considered by Hughton.

There has been no formal bid and Bolton manager Owen Coyle was at pains to stress yesterday that there had been no contact from his Newcastle counterpart regarding O’Brien (pictured right).

But Hughton admitted yesterday morning that he has enquired about several Bolton players – and The Journal understands O’Brien and Samuel are two of them he would take if their valuation fit into United’s tight transfer budget. Danny Shittu, who was part of the Nigeria squad knocked out of the World Cup on Tuesday, is another player being mentioned.

O’Brien has another year left on his deal and would happily stay and fight it out for a first-team place at Bolton. But if Wanderers were happy to let him leave for a minimal fee, or even pay up his deal, the Harrogate-born defender would welcome a return to St James’ Park.

Although Hughton is confident that sticking with the majority of his United side will ensure they stave off relegation, he knows that a few careful additions are required. Priorities are understood to be adding cover at right and left-back, a centre-back and bringing in a striker.

United already have Mike Williamson, Steven Taylor and Fabricio Coloccini but there is a space left in the squad by the departure of Fitz Hall, who was signed on loan in January. With the club remaining cagey on their transfer business it is unclear exactly how far they have progressed but Hughton confirmed yesterday that there have been a number of enquiries made.

His Bolton counterpart Coyle, however, said he was yet to hear from the United boss – although he would be prepared to listen to any offer from St James’ Park.

“I’ve not spoken to Chris Hughton on a football level and to the best of my knowledge neither has (chairman) Phil Gartside,” he said. “I don’t know whether this has come from agents. I dare say Chris has got a plan or something in mind but that certainly hasn’t reached me yet.” Meanwhile, Hughton has moved to scotch rumours linking Steve Harper with a move to Celtic.

The Glasgow giants would be keen on taking Harper to Parkhead but it is an unrealistic aim. Not only would they struggle to match his wages but they will also find Newcastle unwilling to sell one of their key men.

“I can categorically state that there is nothing in that,” he said.

“We just won’t sell him. He’s our number one goalkeeper, he had a great season for us and he’s a very important member of our squad.”

Hughton also rubbished unlikely reports that Newcastle were preparing a bid for Algeria goalkeeper Rais Mbolhi, whose club Slavia Sofia are desperately trying to drum up interest in their stopper.

“I actually had a text message from someone about that player, asking if I would be interested and that is as far as that has gone,” the United boss said.

“I wasn’t even aware of him or his name, so it’s surprising to hear those reports. We are definitely not interested.”

Zurab on a free...?

"BLACKBURN have told defender Zurab Khizanishvili to find a new club.

Boss Sam Allardyce said: "He is one to let go for our sake and his."

Link:

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport...-Blackburn.html

Wouldn't have him back personally, but as Chris is scraping the bottom of the barrell it wouldn't surprise me.

Edited by angrysteve

He was up against Gerrard most of the time and he's not exactly lightning, but I agree, he wasn't what I'd call slow.

He was up against Gerrard most of the time and he's not exactly lightning, but I agree, he wasn't what I'd call slow.

pretty sure I heard both of their fullbacks pace (as an asset) being referred to in the match commentary too

pretty sure I heard both of their fullbacks pace (as an asset) being referred to in the match commentary too

Then the beeb site doesn't know what the beeb pundits are doing :lol:

Most of the players we've been linked with are dismal. Andy O'Brien, J LLoyd Samuel etc etc? Ye Gods!

Hughton is now talking about the return of Joey Barton as like having a 'new signing'. I always think this is the acid test of whether a club is deep in the transfer shit. Never mind we haven't signed any new players lads, here's an old player back from injury! Sums up just how bad things are when he's creaming his trousers over Joey climbing off the treatment table. He must enjoy the 8 or 9 'new signings' he gets during the course of every season. No wonder Fat Mike made him manager......

Most of the players we've been linked with are dismal. Andy O'Brien, J LLoyd Samuel etc etc? Ye Gods!

Hughton is now talking about the return of Joey Barton as like having a 'new signing'. I always think this is the acid test of whether a club is deep in the transfer shit. Never mind we haven't signed any new players lads, here's an old player back from injury! Sums up just how bad things are when he's creaming his trousers over Joey climbing off the treatment table. He must enjoy the 8 or 9 'new signings' he gets during the course of every season. No wonder Fat Mike made him manager......

I never put too much stock in what the managers come out and say. Stuff like that is better than saying "Joey's coming back but usually he's a bit shit and will probably get injured again before long" He forgot to mention that he played about 10 games at the back end of last season like.