Newcastle want director of football

Christmas Tree

NEWCASTLE bosses are ready to recreate the controversial director of football role.

An executive will be appointed to liaise between manager Chris Hughton and the board. But the move is designed to give Hughton support in the boardroom, not undermine his position.

The Toon's top brass believe an experienced figure is needed to operate in the transfer market following their return to the Premier League.

He will help Hughton strengthen a squad that has walked away with the Championship title.

Ashley and managing director Derek Llambias attempted a similar management structure when Kevin Keegan was in charge. But the appointment of Dennis Wise ended in mutiny on Tyneside, the resignation of Keegan and a £2 million payout to the former England boss.

This time they are expected to go for an experienced operator who will already have the contacts to operate at boardroom level and deal with transfers and player contracts.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think its a good idea. Clearly Llambias knows fuck all about football. I think Chris should be supported (thats the important bit) but someone who knows the game inside out. Someone who has been around the block a few times. Not Dennis fucking wise.

Kevin Keegan would be perfect for this

Indeed. Sadly never going to happen whilst Ashley and Llambias are still in the picture.

Even starting to think of people who've 'been round the block a few times' and are available makes me shudder...

O'Leary?? Wilkinson?? Venables?? Taylor?? Hoddle??

if they go ahead with this - ashley and labia are gonna have to tread very carefully.

exactly

don't see whats wrong with just having a CE who knows about the game rather than creating another position so that llambias can continue being a twat

Even starting to think of people who've 'been round the block a few times' and are available makes me shudder...

No reason we should only look at people that are available though. We could look to bring someone in who's doing well elsewhere, not sitting on the scrap heaping waiting for a pay day. Whether Ashley will show that kind of drive is another matter.

Looking through people that have (or had) the role at other clubs, it's difficult to find anyone that's managed it with any degree of success at any club other than David Dein....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Director_of_f...ors_of_Football

Edited by Happy Face

One problem is if this Director of Football knows so much (or thinks they do) I'm sure they will clash on some decisions that should be made by the manager. Or in a meeting I can hear I would not do that I would right in fat Mikes ear

grant, pompy wont be keeping hold of him

fella at west ham too, they're on the financial brink

I wonder if that'll be on his cv.

not his fault, not his department

They've not been great on the pitch either though....not as bad as Pompy like.

They've not been great on the pitch either though....not as bad as Pompy like.

better than us...