Laptop fucked

Smooth Operator

Was using it normally the other day and then went to open a disc and it froze for ages, decided to turn it off by holding the power buttoin down for 5 secs and then restarted it, it went through it's normal set up for when it shut down unexpectedly but then after going past the Microsoft Corportation screen with the scrolling green bar the screen just goes blank. Have tried turning it on and off a few times now but just getting same result.

Any idea's before i get ripped off in PC World or somewhere of similar ilk?

Can you go into safe mode?

Hit F8 when its booting up.

I've hit f8 and ran safe mode but no difference just runs through set up and stays on Microsoft corporation thing with green bar scrolling for ages, tried safe mode networking as well and same thing!

Also could be fucked windows. I would take the HDD out copy the data and then put a fresh copy of Windows on.

You could also try to download a linux live CD on anther machine and boot off that to see if your data/HDD is fine.

which sort of machine is it - I had trouble withe BIOS on an Acer last year that sounds like your problem - easily fixed if it is.......

It's an Acer laptop, it's def either the hard drive or windows that's knackered, however my lack of technical knowledge prevents me from knowing what either of the suggested "fixes" involve!

Anymore asistance greatly appreciated. Cheers.