second pc

zico martin

Im getting a new PC in the next few days and hence will relegate the machine currently in my front room up to the bedroom. As I have loads of music and photos etc on my old PC, would it be feasible to network the 2 machines together so I could transfer some files onto my new one or even listen to them in my front room?

My new one has a network card in-built, so how easy will it be to set up a network, and possibly share broadband access?

cheers

Its fairly straightforward to set a network up between pcs.

You got two basic options, wired or wireless. wired is faster and more secure but involves having wires everywhere. Wireless is slower and harder to set up but is neater.

For linking 2 pcs via wired you need a network card in each and a crossover cable.

Sharing braodband can be done in 2 basic ways. 1 buy a router-modem that will broadcast the internet to both pcs at the same time (through wireless) or have 4 wired ports (usually 4 some have more some less) where you can stick 2 patch cables in. This also acts as a switch and will network the 2 pcs.

The other option is to share the internet accross the network to the other pc. It means that the pc with the modem needs to be on for the other to get the internet. The router modem option doesnt require this.

Its fairly straightforward to set a network up between pcs.

You got two basic options, wired or wireless. wired is faster and more secure but involves having wires everywhere. Wireless is slower and harder to set up but is neater.

For linking 2 pcs via wired you need a network card in each and a crossover cable.

Sharing braodband can be done in 2 basic ways. 1 buy a router-modem that will broadcast the internet to both pcs at the same time (through wireless) or have 4 wired ports (usually 4 some have more some less) where you can stick 2 patch cables in. This also acts as a switch and will network the 2 pcs.

The other option is to share the internet accross the network to the other pc. It means that the pc with the modem needs to be on for the other to get the internet. The router modem option doesnt require this.

59797[/snapback]

As I've already got a hole ready in my ceiling which goes to my bedroom I think the wired version will be easier. So when i get my new pc I'll buy a network card and cable and then come back for more advice if i have trouble getting it set up

cheers