So they've always been peasants

Jusoda Kid

Apparently this is the reason they play in red & white, straight from the horses mouth on SMB:

And Sunderland didn't even come up with their shirts themselves: they were a gift from fellow northeasterners South Bank FC. The Mackems had run into financial strife - reputedly even raffling off a canary to keep things ticking over - and called their neighbours for help. South Bank responded by sending their kit - red and white striped shirts and black shorts. Sunderland expressed their gratitude by thrashing them 7-0 in the 1887-88 season.

Sound familiar :D

Incidentally, I went to Sunderland for the first time ever on Sunday.

Why do they have a bridge exactly like ours? But slightly more Lego-y?

Confused the hell outta me and Danny.... we'd gone past one big green bridge, and then 30 mins later, went past another almost identical big green bridge. For a moment we thought we'd just gone round in a big circle. :D because we're a bit stupid like that.

Good ole Sunderland though. Damn it made me laugh.

Saw a car with a sticker in the back window that read "Never underestimate a mackem".  Impossible surely.

59803[/snapback]

I havent been to Sunderland for absolute years, I assume its still the dump it used to be ( like a bigger version of Gateshead 'town centre')?

I haven't been since I had the misfortune to go about 2 years ago. It had been many years since I'd gone prior to that. It was a dump then, and it was a dump when I went 2 years ago. I'm betting it's still a dump now. It's always reminded me of a larger version of Wallsend High Street and The Forum.

Apparently this is the reason they play in red & white, straight from the horses mouth on SMB:

And Sunderland didn't even come up with their shirts themselves: they were a gift from fellow northeasterners South Bank FC. The Mackems had run into financial strife - reputedly even raffling off a canary to keep things ticking over - and called their neighbours for help. South Bank responded by sending their kit - red and white striped shirts and black shorts. Sunderland expressed their gratitude by thrashing them 7-0 in the 1887-88 season.

Sound familiar :D

59792[/snapback]

Is that South Bank as in one of the roughest areas of Middlesbrough? Must be the only time they've given something away rather than stealing it.

I used to go to Sunderland Civic Centre quite a lot and it make's Newcastle Civic look like a 5 star hotel. They always seem to be doing work on it as well, reminded me of the rebuilding of the Death Star in Return of the Jedi.

On another note, I've heard everal rumours that NUFC used to play in Red and White in the early days.

I used to go to Sunderland Civic Centre quite a lot and it make's Newcastle Civic look like a 5 star hotel. They always seem to be doing work on it as well, reminded me of the rebuilding of the Death Star in Return of the Jedi.

On another note, I've heard everal rumours that NUFC used to play in Red and White in the early days.

59973[/snapback]

Dunno about that but Newcastle West End and East End merged to form NUFC. One wore black and white and the other wore the maroon and blue hoops that were the away shirt a few years back (grandad shirt style) I believe.

59973[/snapback]

Dunno about that but Newcastle West End and East End merged to form NUFC. One wore black and white and the other wore the maroon and blue hoops that were the away shirt a few years back (grandad shirt style) I believe.

59981[/snapback]

Neeeeeeeerd. :D

Aye, but there is a rumour that the mackems loaned us their strips for some games in the early days. Although, I think this is what the mackems want us to believe.

59973[/snapback]

59981[/snapback]

Neeeeeeeerd. :D

Aye, but there is a rumour that the mackems loaned us their strips for some games in the early days. Although, I think this is what the mackems want us to believe.

59983[/snapback]

I only know because the story came out when that shirt came out. I am a nerd though :icon_lol:

Why do they have a bridge exactly like ours?  But slightly more Lego-y?

Confused the hell outta me and Danny.... we'd gone past one big green bridge, and then 30 mins later, went past another almost identical big green bridge.  For a moment we thought we'd just gone round in a big circle.  :icon_lol:  because we're a bit stupid like that.

Good ole Sunderland though.  Damn it made me laugh.

59800[/snapback]

They're both bridges, but surely thats where the similarities end? :D

Bloke at work has just told me he's going to see the mackems at the weekend. His son goes to Newlands School in Newcastle, and the dirty mackems have actually had the cheek (and the appropriate level of desperation to fill their stadium) to send a load of dirt cheap tickets out to a school in Newcastle. Pathetic tbh.

Bloke at work has just told me he's going to see the mackems at the weekend.  His son goes to Newlands School in Newcastle, and the dirty mackems have actually had the cheek (and the appropriate level of desperation to fill their stadium) to send a load of dirt cheap tickets out to a school in Newcastle.  Pathetic tbh.

60008[/snapback]

That NEVER happens though. :D

Bloke at work has just told me he's going to see the mackems at the weekend.  His son goes to Newlands School in Newcastle, and the dirty mackems have actually had the cheek (and the appropriate level of desperation to fill their stadium) to send a load of dirt cheap tickets out to a school in Newcastle.  Pathetic tbh.

60008[/snapback]

60009[/snapback]

I'm absolutely certain that if I posted that on the SMB I'd be told that I'm a dirty liar and just making it up. :icon_lol:

60008[/snapback]

60009[/snapback]

I'm absolutely certain that if I posted that on the SMB I'd be told that I'm a dirty liar and just making it up. :icon_lol:

60010[/snapback]

The bloke I used to work with (Liverpool fan) took his bairn a couple of seasons ago under the same circumstances. Which is strange because I've been assured that it NEVER, EVER takes place.

60008[/snapback]

60009[/snapback]

I'm absolutely certain that if I posted that on the SMB I'd be told that I'm a dirty liar and just making it up. :angry:

60010[/snapback]

The bloke I used to work with (Liverpool fan) took his bairn a couple of seasons ago under the same circumstances. Which is strange because I've been assured that it NEVER, EVER takes place.

60012[/snapback]

Apparently (this bloke at work reckons) the deal is that the school gets a certain percentage of whatever tickets they sell. So the sad bastards are actually paying the school to whore their seats for them. :icon_lol:

60008[/snapback]

60009[/snapback]

I'm absolutely certain that if I posted that on the SMB I'd be told that I'm a dirty liar and just making it up. :angry:

60010[/snapback]

60012[/snapback]

Apparently (this bloke at work reckons) the deal is that the school gets a certain percentage of whatever tickets they sell. So the sad bastards are actually paying the school to whore their seats for them. :icon_lol:

60013[/snapback]

I'd like the Toon to have cheap offers on for league cup games like the mackems did so as to encourage young uns along but this smacks of desperation.

Confused the hell outta me and Danny.... we'd gone past one big green bridge, and then 30 mins later, went past another almost identical big green bridge.  For a moment we thought we'd just gone round in a big circle.  ;)  because we're a bit stupid like that.

59800[/snapback]

They're both bridges, but surely thats where the similarities end? :lol:

59998[/snapback]

*shrug*

SYDNEY:

bridge.jpg

SUNDERLAND:

WearmouthBridgeSunderland.jpg

NEWCASTLE:

4422-tyne-bridge.jpg

Tsk. Sydney and Sunderland are such wannabes.... :lol:

Confused the hell outta me and Danny.... we'd gone past one big green bridge, and then 30 mins later, went past another almost identical big green bridge.  For a moment we thought we'd just gone round in a big circle.  ;)  because we're a bit stupid like that.

59800[/snapback]

They're both bridges, but surely thats where the similarities end? :lol:

59998[/snapback]

*shrug*

SYDNEY:

bridge.jpg

SUNDERLAND:

WearmouthBridgeSunderland.jpg

NEWCASTLE:

4422-tyne-bridge.jpg

Tsk. Sydney and Sunderland are such wannabes.... :lol:

60547[/snapback]

Ignoring geography, size and the fact the Sunderland should be nuked off the face of the earth, they are all the same in design, built by the same company (from smogville) and based on the original Australian design for the Sydney Harbour Bridge. It's just that it is the biggest of the 3 and hence they were able to complete the tyne bridge quicker.