Spain win 2010 WORLD CUP.

Park Life

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The conversation was recorded so this was a set-up.

Why are the Daily Mail and Melissa Jacobs trying to set-up the leader of our bid for 2018? This was (again) a private conversation that didnt need to become public. Its interesting as it reveals some gossip and some insights into potential corruption but why does this have to happen?

To sell papers?

Obviously. Bunch of twats the lot of them, sky were reporting that he 'accused' the spanish and russians of bribery. I dont think you can make an accusation of bribery in a private conversation.

Why are the Daily Mail and Melissa Jacobs trying to set-up the leader of our bid for 2018? This was (again) a private conversation that didnt need to become public. Its interesting as it reveals some gossip and some insights into potential corruption but why does this have to happen?

To sell papers?

Obviously. Bunch of twats the lot of them, sky were reporting that he 'accused' the spanish and russians of bribery. I dont think you can make an accusation of bribery in a private conversation.

Just wish someone with gravitas and dignity would hold the British tabloids accountable for their short-sighted and purely financially motivated actions.

You'd need a Sir Bobby to really take them to task though.

Lord Triesman has stood down as chairman of the Football Association and the England 2018 World Cup bid team following a meeting at Wembley.

The decision comes after a report in the Mail on Sunday which alleged that Triesman made comments suggesting Spain were planning to bribe referees at this summer's World Cup while also offering their support to Russia's bid for the 2018 World Cup if they were to help.

"I have decided to resign as chairman of The FA and the 2018 Bid board," Triesman said in a statement.

Triesman's statement continued: "A private conversation with someone whom I thought to be a friend was taped without my knowledge and passed to a national newspaper.

"That same friend has also chosen to greatly exaggerate the extent of our friendship.

"In that conversation I commentated on speculation circulating about conspiracies around the world. Those comments were never intended to be taken seriously as indeed is the case with many private conversations.

"The views expressed were not the views of the 2018 bid board or the FA.

"Nobody should be under any misapprehension that the FA or 2018 bid board are disrespectful of other nations or FIFA and I regret any such inference that may have been drawn from what has been reported.

"Entrapment especially by a friend is an unpleasant experience both for my family and me but it leaves me with no alternative but to resign.

"I have immediately informed the FA board of my decision."

The whole thing stinks :icon_lol:

To sell papers?

Just wish someone with gravitas and dignity would hold the British tabloids accountable for their short-sighted and purely financially motivated actions.

Remember the abuse he suffered from the '88 Euros to Italia '90?

John Nicholson

Media Are A Disgrace...Not Triesman

Is everyone a grass now? Can anyone in any prominent position trust anyone they talk to? Is every single word, every opinion, every notion, however fleeting or half-baked, now to be recorded and made available to our febrile press in return for a fee?

After the weekend's events it would seem so.

The Mail On Sunday tries to make out that Lord Triesman is somehow indiscreet in his comments about Spain and Russia but his only crime is to trust someone he clearly should not have trusted. He's been exploited like many old blokes before him by a pretty, younger woman. He was done up like a kipper.

Not a single one of us has not said something we think might be true, or a rumour we've heard or indeed, a secret, to someone we think is a friend or to impress someone we want to get into bed with. Every single one of us has done that. Because most of us are not in a high-profile position, we don't expect to have it sold to a newspaper and splashed as a front-page story, but the principle is the same nonetheless.

Triesman's only crime here is to be a human being. Outside of the comments about Russia and Spain, his words, much I'm sure to the chagrin of the paper, reveal nothing but good sense and rational thought. I'm sure they wanted to catch him disparaging John Terry or David Beckham but he doesn't. Instead, he talks quite sensibly, especially by FA standards.

Yet now he's had to step down for saying something which may or may not be true but crucially saying it in private.

Nauseatingly, the paper tries to come over all moralistic about it as though an old married bloke has never had a few dinners with a younger woman before, trying to make it seem dirty somehow.

Clearly it was little more than that because if it was, they'd have had no hesitation in giving a blow-by-blow account and had the ruler out too. It is shameless to print pictures of his text messages to her. They're nothing special. It's not like he's admitting to burning people inside a Wicker Man. They're just pleasantries, mildly flirtatious at most.

Both sides of this are so sick; the woman plotting it and the slavering paper so keen to be prurient and judgmental. With breath-taking hypocrisy, The Mail on Sunday calls him 'indiscreet', seemingly oblivious to the fact that it was only indiscreet because someone recorded it and they published it. It is they who are indiscreet, not him. They must think the public is stupid. Then again, given 1,983,283 buy the Mail On Sunday - making it the best seller on a Sunday behind the News Of The World - they may be right.

Where will this end? This behaviour challenges the very notion of what is private in Britain anymore. Let's record newspaper editors when they're not in public and see what they say - how would they like it? It would show them as two-faced, deceitful, grumpy and irrational. How do I know? Because at some point it would show most of us in that light to greater or lesser degrees.

They were all so quick to be judgemental about Gordon Brown after his off-hand comment in Rochdale. I'm sure many like me were amazed at just how moderate his language was. Who amongst us has not turned away from someone we've been civil towards and thought or said to a friend "Christ what a f***ing ars**ole" or worse, even if they're not. It's possible to be in a bad mood and to make a wrong judgement call - it's called being human.

Rather than show Brown in a bad light, I thought it did the reverse. Hellfire, that woman got a few thousand quid from a newspaper just because an off-hand comment thought to be in private. What madness is this? How is such a thing worth money?

Do we really think that all public figures have to behave like saints 100% of the time? Are they not allowed privacy? Are they not allowed to talk to people without being recorded? Isn't that actually an invasion of privacy? No-one can live up to these standards set by a media which itself is largely run on class A narcotics, hubris and egos the size of a planet. In these instances the press pretends its motives are so pure. The stench of their hypocrisy is nauseating.

Aside from the invasion of privacy, it's a grotesque disgrace that a national newspaper should do this in the full knowledge that it could harm our bid for the 2018 World Cup. But they don't care about that, all they want is a story. There is no public interest in this. It doesn't betray Triesman as incapable, stupid or corrupt. For all we know, his notions about back-scratching bribery between Spain and Russia may be correct. He didn't make them in public though - the fact they were subsequently made public does not alter that. But the Mail has their scalp and they'll be very pleased about it, rest assured of that.

It's just a kiss-and-tell story by someone looking to make money. The morals of that are bad enough, but to harm the chances of our national sport hosting a long-overdue World Cup - something which would bring millions of pounds worth of trade to this country and also inspire a whole generation of kids - is not just despicable, it's anti-British. It shows contempt for the country.

The Mail is a hateful organ which claims to patriotically speak for England and English values (it certainly does not speak for Scotland) but this is rubbish. Any paper that had the best interests of the country at heart would not be running a story like this. It achieves nothing except to make something which would be an entirely positive for the country, less likely. It's typical of the bitter angry killjoy attitude of the paper and it deserves to be boycotted by all England fans. Those 1,983,283 who support it with their money are supporting a malign influence on British society.

However, this is a culture right across our newspaper media, driven on by intense competition. Does any other country of this size have so many national papers?

Look at the way so many of them rounded on Fabio Capello last week, gleefully trying to pick a hole in his reputation for organisation and control. One slight sniff of blood and they're off like rabid dogs and couldn't care less about the consequences.

We can expect several more England World Cup Shock type headlines before and during the tournament. All these journalists claim they have England's best interests at heart. Whether this is true or not, they all want a story, however fleeting and sensationalist, more than anything else, certainly much, much more than an England win, and will do anything to get one no matter what the consequences.

It's a hysterical culture; childish, pathetic and quite, quite disgraceful.

Can't argue with any of this, especially the parts about the Mail being a nasty little rag :icon_lol:

The release of a film about the 1990 World Cup, One Night In Turin, was bound to bring with it a stab of regret, and not just because those of us who recall the tournament vividly are now of an age when melancholy proliferates like the hair in our lugholes. And if you come from the north-east of England the pang of nostalgia James Erskine's documentary provokes is likely to be all the more acute.

In one of the final friendlies leading up to Italia 90 England beat Czechoslovakia 4-2 at Wembley. It was the match in which Paul Gascoigne secured a place in the squad with a display so impish the opposition must have been tempted to check if he had a pointy tail. In the final minutes, having already set up two of England's goals, Gazza scored one of his own. Socks at half-mast, cheeks ruddy with effort, he soft-shoe-shuffled past two defenders and smacked the ball into the roof of the net with the explosive urgency of a schoolkid who has just heard the bell bringing break-time to an end. On the touchline, the England manager, Bobby Robson, wide-eyed and grinning fondly as a new dad, turned to his assistant Don Howe and cried: "That … is … fantastic!"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/20...tball-world-cup[/url]

Limited release, but....

Gateshead Odeon Metrocentre

Mon 17 May 2010

Tue 18 May 2010

Wed 19 May 2010

Thu 20 May 2010

Newcastle upon Tyne Empire

Mon 17 May 2010

Edited by Happy Face

LINEKER QUITS MAIL COLUMN

Gary Lineker has quit his column for The Mail On Sunday in protest over their 'expose' of Lord Triesman.

The paper reportedly paid £75,000 to Melissa Jacobs for a recording of Triesman, in which he speculated that the Russian and Spanish bid teams for the 2018 World Cup may collude to bribe referees in South Africa this summer.

Triesman was forced to resign from as chairman of both the FA and the England 2018 bid team, and Match Of The Day presenter Lineker is not impressed with his other (now former) employers.

In announcing his decision to quit, Lineker, who has written for the paper for six months, said: "The story itself, the circumstances surrounding it and the actions of the Mail on Sunday in publishing it have undermined the bid to bring the World Cup to England in 2018.

"I wholeheartedly support the bid, because I believe that hosting the tournament would be brilliant for the country, and I am an official ambassador for it. I have therefore taken the view that I cannot continue as a columnist for the Mail on Sunday."

Lineker's agent Jon Holmes had further criticism for the paper, believing it to be a honey-trap with little or no public interest.

"The story showed crass judgment," Holmes said.

"It had dubious journalistic merit, was clearly obtained by entrapment, and was timed to do the maximum damage to the World Cup bid, which Gary and all football fans in this country passionately support. We wanted to make our position clear and to do all we can now to help persuade Fifa that England is the best country to host a great World Cup in 2018."

The Guardian reports that The Mail has further comments recorded by Jacobs, but is yet to decide whether to run them this weekend.

To sell papers?

Just remind me which sunday paper carried Bobby's column :o

Gary Neville bitter as fuck that he hasn't been selected and Liverpool defenders have... :o

Gary Neville questions Fabio Capello's World Cup squad

Gary Neville has questioned England manager Fabio Capello's decision to pick Liverpool's Glen Johnson as his sole right-back for the World Cup.

Johnson has established himself as England's first-choice right-back under Capello, but suffered an injury-interrupted second half of the season.

And Neville said: "I'm surprised there is only one right-back in the squad."

Neville also labelled attempts to lure Paul Scholes out of international retirement "a bit desperate".

Despite failing in his attempt to bring Scholes back into the England fold, Capello did persuade Liverpool's Jamie Carragher to return to the squad three years after his own international retirement.

And although Carragher has played the majority of his career at centre-back, his ability to cover either full-back position was seemingly key in Capello's decision to overlook Manchester United's Neville and Wes Brown.

However, Neville argued that Brown, who started at right-back when England beat Egypt in their last fixture as Johnson recovered from knee ligament damage, was unlucky to miss out.

"I wouldn't say I'm overly disappointed not to be named in the initial 30-man squad, although I did think there was maybe a chance I could get in," added Neville, who made 15 Premier League starts last season but failed to add to his 85 England caps.

"I'm probably more surprised Wes Brown isn't in the 30, to be honest."

Scholes, who retired from international football in 2004, appeared set for a return of his own before eventually rejecting Capello's overtures.

And Neville admitted that courting Scholes made sense, even if it was unlikely to succeed.

"I'm not surprised Capello tried to get him out of retirement because if there's one player I would try to pull out of retirement it's Scholes," Neville said of his team-mate and fellow 35-year-old.

"Capello maybe got a bit desperate at the last minute and wanted Scholes because he's still probably the best midfielder in England, but Scholes decided to stick to his guns."

Meanwhile, Manchester City have confirmed that midfielder Gareth Barry has been sleeping in an oxygen tent in an attempt to speed up his recovery from an ankle injury.

Capello remains hopeful that Barry will be fit for England's second World Cup group game against Algeria on 18 June.

Before that the Italian is set to assess defenders Ledley King and Jamie Carragher in the sold-out friendly against Mexico at Wembley on 24 May.

Neither have played for England since the end of Steve McClaren's reign in 2007.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/w...010/8689245.stm

What an absolute helmet!

Hi all, I've read here a few months and now I think it's time to write my first post. :o

I'm looking very much forword to the world cup and hope England will go all the way, if not Denmark does that (which I find quite unrealistic).

Denmark is in group with Japan, Holland and Cameroon. I expect Holland to win the group, but I think we do have a chance to take the second place if we win against Japan, and then a draw against Cameroon will maybe be enough....

Danish squad:

Goalkeepers:

Thomas Sorensen (Stoke City (ENG))

Stephan Andersen (Brondby IF (DEN))

Kim Christensen (Goteborg (SWE))

Jesper Christiansen (FC Copenhagen (DEN))

Defenders:

William Kvist (Copenhagen (DEN))

Lars Jacobsen (Blackburn Rovers (ENG))

Simon Kjaer (Palermo (ITA))

Per Kroldrup (Fiorentina (ITA))

Daniel Agger (Liverpool (ENG))

Patrick Mtiliga (Malaga (ESP))

Simon Poulsen (AZ (NED))

Midfielders:

Martin Jorgensen (Aarhus GF (DEN))

Christian Poulsen (Juventus (ITA))

Daniel Jensen (Werder Bremen (GER))

Jakob Poulsen (Aarhus GF (DEN))

Michael Silberbauer (Utrecht (NED))

Thomas Kahlenberg (Wolfsburg (GER))

Thomas Enevoldsen (Groningen (NED))

Michael Krohn-Dehli (Brondby IF (DEN))

Christian Eriksen (Ajax (NED))

Mikkel Beckmann (Randers FC (DEN))

Forwards:

Jon Dahl Tomasson (Feyenoord (NED))

Soren Larsen (Duisburg (GER))

Jesper Gronkjaer (FC Copenhagen (DEN))

Dennis Rommedahl (Ajax (NED))

Nicklas Bendtner (Arsenal (ENG))

Standby: (In case of injuries ect.)

Anders Moller Christensen (Odense BK (DEN))

Leon Jessen (FC Midtjylland (DEN))

Mikkel Thygesen (FC Midtjylland (DEN))

Morten Rasmussen (Celtic (SCO))

If all players are fit, this could be the line-up:

.......................Sørensen.................

Jacobsen... Kjær... Agger... Mtiliga (/ S Poulsen)

..........C Poulsen..........D Jensen..................

.....................Tommason................................

Rommedahl... Bendtner... J Grønkjær (/ Kahlenberg)

A lot of onknown players for most of you I think... Løvenkrands is not in the squad because of his dad's dead earlier this year.

Many of the players are not good enough for a world cup IMO. Søren Larsen, Daniel Jensen, Rommedahl, Kalhenberg, L Jacobsen are on the bench most of the time in their clubs. While players as Tommason (Nufc about 10 years ago) and Martin Jørgensen are just too old and slow.

But I'm happy that Christian Eriksen is in the squad, and hope he will be between the last 23. He is maybe the biggest tallent in Denmark since Laudrup and have an excellent technique and eye for the game.

//Sorry for my bad English.. :D