Spain win 2010 WORLD CUP.

Park Life

Fleet Street is in one of its periodic fits of pique about the current England manager, who has committed the cardinal sin of not doing exactly what they wanted, when they wanted it. Here, we look at some of the (made-up) reactions to this week's squad announcement...

'After two years of deceptively careful, calm preparation, England's greaseball manager has reverted to type. Like a typical Eye-Tie, he has shat himself at the first sight of the enemy,' wrote Geoff Morris in The Daily Bastard.

'The sight of England's manager flapping his arms around and sucking his teeth in that sinister way they have shames the office of Manager of Her Majesty's Football Team. I expect he thinks he's in a trattoria where he can just select what the hell he likes, when he likes it. Well, take a memo, Pedro: we have a way of doing things here, and it doesn't involve picking Leighton Baines as defensive cover or selecting the best players available from a limited pool. And it certainly doesn't involve forming a Fascist government or serving up antipasto when you should be serving up a World Cup winning squad.'

Morris was not alone in condemnation of Mr Capello's selection. Over at The Git, Keith Ratt, the paper's senior football writer and long-time ghostwriter for Terry Venables, was also in no doubt that Capello had slipped up.

'Our woolly wop has surrendered our World Cup bid to England's enemies with this cowardly squad,' reckoned Ratt. 'And worst of all, he's done it after the paper's gone to bed and we're all having our third heart attack of the month in the bogs of the Canary and Racist.

'This would never have happened under Tel - he'd always give the press lads a nod and a wink over a bucket of whisky in his office. The thing about these foreigners is that they don't know the drill. An English manager - your Sams, your Harrys - they know how to play the game. Not how to play the game of football necessarily, but they know how to get their round in and when to feed the lads a story or two. Also, they can shout about passion and tell an iffy joke about a nun, a nurse and a black bloke. That is very important.'

'My wife ran off with a foreign, you know,' he added.

At The Snipe, the broadsheet view was no less damming. Veteran chief football writer Gideon Rupert was dismayed by Capello's choices.

'Not since Carlos Hector Guantanamera led his rugged Uruguay team to the 1938 World Cup with the inexperienced Nippauletta - who was then only 18 months old and yet to become the titan he would become for Atletico Parmigiana after his gender reassignment surgery - as his only recoginsed left-back has a manager gambled so recklessly with his choices,' droned the elderly bore.

'England's best hope now is the cancellation of the tournament.'

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fleet Street is in one of its periodic fits of pique about the current England manager, who has committed the cardinal sin of not doing exactly what they wanted, when they wanted it. Here, we look at some of the (made-up) reactions to this week's squad announcement...

'After two years of deceptively careful, calm preparation, England's greaseball manager has reverted to type. Like a typical Eye-Tie, he has shat himself at the first sight of the enemy,' wrote Geoff Morris in The Daily Bastard.

'The sight of England's manager flapping his arms around and sucking his teeth in that sinister way they have shames the office of Manager of Her Majesty's Football Team. I expect he thinks he's in a trattoria where he can just select what the hell he likes, when he likes it. Well, take a memo, Pedro: we have a way of doing things here, and it doesn't involve picking Leighton Baines as defensive cover or selecting the best players available from a limited pool. And it certainly doesn't involve forming a Fascist government or serving up antipasto when you should be serving up a World Cup winning squad.'

Morris was not alone in condemnation of Mr Capello's selection. Over at The Git, Keith Ratt, the paper's senior football writer and long-time ghostwriter for Terry Venables, was also in no doubt that Capello had slipped up.

'Our woolly wop has surrendered our World Cup bid to England's enemies with this cowardly squad,' reckoned Ratt. 'And worst of all, he's done it after the paper's gone to bed and we're all having our third heart attack of the month in the bogs of the Canary and Racist.

'This would never have happened under Tel - he'd always give the press lads a nod and a wink over a bucket of whisky in his office. The thing about these foreigners is that they don't know the drill. An English manager - your Sams, your Harrys - they know how to play the game. Not how to play the game of football necessarily, but they know how to get their round in and when to feed the lads a story or two. Also, they can shout about passion and tell an iffy joke about a nun, a nurse and a black bloke. That is very important.'

At The Snipe, the broadsheet view was no less damming. Veteran chief football writer Gideon Rupert was dismayed by Capello's choices.

'Not since Carlos Hector Guantanamera led his rugged Uruguay team to the 1938 World Cup with the inexperienced Nippauletta - who was then only 18 months old and yet to become the titan he would become for Atletico Parmigiana after his gender reassignment surgery - as his only recoginsed left-back has a manager gambled so recklessly with his choices,' droned the elderly bore.

I enjoyed that...where's it taken from?

I enjoyed that...where's it taken from?

Borrowed it from football365 :icon_lol:

Guest Barrack Road

Who will you Irish boys be supporting?

See honestly if it was me, I'd wants Scotland, Wales and Ireland to do well if we weren't there.

I tell you what it is that Domenech, he's a fuckin idiot if ever I've seen one. France are fuckin shite in reality but good on paper, so why does he not even pick his best two young players for the provisional squad. Samir Nasri is a fabulous player imo, and Benzema a very good striker, why would you leave them at home?

I don't mind England doing well. Its just the press that gets on my tits.

All though John Terry and Gerrard winning the world cup might be too much....

I'm going to follow Germany I guess this year since I've done some work over there all though I fancy Brazil to win it. Can't count out Spain though. Its just all my Spanish supporting Liverpool mates that get on my nerve. :icon_lol:

Edited by khay

Guest Barrack Road

I don't might England doing well. Its just the press that gets on my tits.

I going to follow Germany I guess this year since I've done some work over there all though I fancy Brazil to win it. Can't count out Spain though. Its just all my Spanish supporting Liverpool mates that get on my nerve. :icon_lol:

Tired old line that khay and unfounded this year imo. I've not seen one paper say we'll win the World Cup, most think Quarters or Semi's which is more than realistic. In my view we just need to play reasonably well to get to the semi's then it's a different ball game.

I going to follow Germany I guess this year since I've done some work over there all though I fancy Brazil to win it. Can't count out Spain though. Its just all my Spanish supporting Liverpool mates that get on my nerve. :icon_lol:

Tired old line that khay and unfounded this year imo. I've not seen one paper say we'll win the World Cup, most think Quarters or Semi's which is more than realistic. In my view we just need to play reasonably well to get to the semi's then it's a different ball game.

I've not really been reading the papers about it I must admit.

Saying that I've seen about 1000 adverts with El Tel singing about the world cup! B)

I think you could reach the Semi's like, just depends on who you get.

Guest Barrack Road

I've not really been reading the papers about it I must admit.

Saying that I've seen about 1000 adverts with El Tel singing about the world cup! B)

I think you could reach the Semi's like, just depends on who you get.

Football is the biggest sport in the country, the World Cup is the biggest sporting event on the planet, a tournament of a game we created, which became of the biggest things in modern life. It's no ones fault that ad men choose to exploit it, I don't even think it's the media's fault. There'll always be an unexplained tinge of bitterness eminating from Alba.

The only game we'd be underdogs would be Spain in my view. Brazil because of our shit record against them too maybe, but this isn't a real Brazil they're more than beatable. The path should be Australia then France, if we can't navigate those games we don't deserve to be there.

Edited by Barrack Road

Your lot are 3rd favourites for a reason-no reason you shouldn't be trying to win it with the resources/quality available.

I'll watch all their games, and want to see them do well. As Khay says though, seeing that odious c*nt Terry picking up the trophy might be difficult to stomach.

I'll want to see the Argies and Spain do well too, as I like so many of their players.

I think France, Italy and others offer little anymore, and wouldn't be surprised to see them knocked out early.

:icon_lol:

How England's north-east feast at Italia 90 turned into famineSince those heady days the involvement of the region's players in the national team has been on the Green Party side of marginal

Harry Pearson The Guardian, Friday 14 May 2010 Article history

The release of a film about the 1990 World Cup, One Night In Turin, was bound to bring with it a stab of regret, and not just because those of us who recall the tournament vividly are now of an age when melancholy proliferates like the hair in our lugholes. And if you come from the north-east of England the pang of nostalgia James Erskine's documentary provokes is likely to be all the more acute.

In one of the final friendlies leading up to Italia 90 England beat Czechoslovakia 4-2 at Wembley. It was the match in which Paul Gascoigne secured a place in the squad with a display so impish the opposition must have been tempted to check if he had a pointy tail. In the final minutes, having already set up two of England's goals, Gazza scored one of his own. Socks at half-mast, cheeks ruddy with effort, he soft-shoe-shuffled past two defenders and smacked the ball into the roof of the net with the explosive urgency of a schoolkid who has just heard the bell bringing break-time to an end. On the touchline, the England manager, Bobby Robson, wide-eyed and grinning fondly as a new dad, turned to his assistant Don Howe and cried: "That … is … fantastic!"

It remains my enduring image of Sir Bobby – a man who took such joy in football even the sight of a few workmen having a kickaround in the park was enough to distract him from his dinner. The thing I remember best about that game, though, is neither Gascoigne's performance, nor his manager's reaction to it, but a letter that appeared in this newspaper a few days later. It was written by a Tynesider and though the exact wording of it eludes me now, the message has stayed with me ever since. On Wednesday night, the writer said, England had defeated another of the World Cup finalists. The England team had featured three players – Gascoigne, Trevor Steven and Bryan Robson – from the north-east, three of the goals had been set up by players from the north-east, another had been scored by a player from the north-east, the team was captained by a man from the north-east and managed by one, too. "Tell me," the letter concluded triumphantly, "what does the rest of the country do for a hobby?"

I read that line sitting in a flat in the Old Kent Road. I imagine I laughed with glee when I read it and punched the air. The letter, or at least the sentiment behind, would inspire me to write a book about north-east football. It would, it is fair to say, change my life.

Looking back today, I can see that this missive represented a highwater mark for north-east football. England's team for the first game of the 1990 finals, against the Republic of Ireland, featured four players from the region – Gazza, Robson, Chris Waddle and Peter Beardsley (Steven was also in the squad). At the time it didn't seem like such a big deal. After all, hadn't England's legendary baggy-shorted forward line featured Wilf Mannion and Raich Carter as inside-forwards? Didn't the Charlton brothers help England win in 1966? Hadn't the squad Sir Alf Ramsey took to Mexico in 1970 – regarded by many as the best set of players we ever had – included the Charltons, Colin Bell and Norman Hunter?

I first went to a football match in 1967. By that stage no north-east team had won the league title for 30 years, the FA Cup for a dozen. Newcastle and Sunderland were struggling to stay in the top flight and Middlesbrough had dropped into the Third Division for the first time in their history. Yet, that year's News of the World football annual showed that 62 players from the region were employed in the First Division. There was at least one at every club, with the exception of West Ham. Howard Kendall, Jimmy Husband, Tommy Baldwin, George Armstrong, Ralph Coates, David Thomas, Mick McNeil, the Charltons, Bell, Hunter – for an area with a population hardly bigger than Birmingham's it was quite a list.

Through the 70s and 80s the pits and the steelworks and the shipyards shut, but it seemed like the north-east would churn out footballers for ever. Now, however, it looks like Italia 90 was a last howay.

Since then the involvement of the region's players in the national team – with the exception of Alan Shearer, and the fitfully fit Gascoigne – has been on the Green Party side of marginal. On Tuesday Fabio Capello's provisional squad of 30 included just two men – Michael Carrick and Adam Johnson – born in the region. In 2006 Sven-Goran Eriksson's final 23 mustered only Carrick and Stewart Downing – who managed 150 minutes of football between them. In 1998 Glenn Hoddle's sole north-easterner was Super Al. In Korea/Japan there were none at all.

Much has been written about Scotland's marked decline as a producer of talented footballers – whatever the causes of that slump might be they seem to have drifted south. Looking to raise my spirits, a friend comments that Waddle, Beardsley and Gascoigne emerged under a Conservative government. Another points to the emergence of Andy Carroll and Jordan Henderson, the return to form of David Wheater. It is a time for clutching at straws.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/20...tball-world-cup

So putting aside the fact we're going to go out in the quarters, what route do you reckon we would have to take to get to the final?

I reckon we'll need to win the group, defeat Ghana, Defeat Greece in the quarters, Germany in the Semis, and then Brazil in the final.

To be honest I think the other side of the competition is going to throw up the better matches; Spain Portugal is likely in the first knock out round, Spain Italy in the 1/4s, Brazil vs Netherlands could be decent, Brazil Spain in the Semis.

What've we got on our side? Germany Argentina? France Greece? England v Germany will stir old rivalries, but I can't imagine it'll be a good game.

I guess I'm saying the most stylish football is on the other side

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12...p-referees.html

The Mail doing their best to ruin any chance of England hosting in 2018.

Well, the Mail won't want any dirty foreigners coming here will they?

Leaving his mobile phone number on the images is a classy touch too.

Lord Triesman is to stand down as chairman of the England 2018 World Cup bid, BBC Sport understands.

However he is not leaving his role as chairman of the Football Association at the moment.

Triesman acted after the Mail on Sunday said he suggested Spain could end its bid if rival bidder Russia helped bribe referees at this summer's World Cup.

The team is looking for a replacement and the 2018 bid is undertaking a "major damage limitation exercise".

The 2018 team has already faxed apology letters to the Russian and Spanish FAs.

The Mail on Sunday claims to have obtained a secretly tape-recorded conversation of Triesman talking to a former aide.

The revelations come just two days after former England captain David Beckham helped the FA submit a 1,752-page bid book as they try to persuade Fifa to award England the 2018 World Cup.

Speaking about Triesman's decision to step down, new Sports Minister Hugh Robertson told the BBC: "It is absolutely the right decision to take.

"Our top priority as a new government is to win this bid for the country and I am delighted they have acted as quickly and decisively as they have done.

"All is not lost, we would rather we weren't dealing with the situation but it is better that it has happened now, so soon after handing over the bid book, rather than two three months out.

"It is not good for the organisation and it would be ludicrous to pretend otherwise but the fundamentals that underpin the bid are as strong as ever and will be remembered long after this unfortunate event is forgotten."

The Football Association has so far refused to comment but BBC sports editor David Bond explained: "The 2018 team are distancing themselves from Lord Triesman's comments and have told Fifa, Russia and Spain that they don't share those views that have been expressed in the story."

Apart from the damage to the standing of Triesman and the FA that may be created within the Fifa corridors of power by the Mail on Sunday's reported bribery allegation, the world governing body's rules prohibit World Cup bidders from talking about rival bids.

Triesman was quoted in the article as saying: "Spain are looking for help...to bribe the referees".

And BBC Radio 5 live's sports news correspondent Gordon Farquhar said: "The FA did try and fail to get an injunction against publication of the story on privacy grounds.

"The story makes uncomfortable reading. The FA and 2018 bid chairman was seemingly unaware his unguarded comments in a private conversation were being recorded.

"Most damaging is his apparent speculation about possible collusion between Spain and Russia to bribe referees in South Africa.

"He reportedly suggests in return for Russian help in targeting officials, Spain could drop out of the race to stage the 2018 World Cup.

"There's likely to be a furious reaction from both the Spanish and Russian FAs."

On Friday, Fifa chief Sepp Blatter spoke in glowing terms of England's 2018 bid which includes 12 towns and cities from Sunderland to Plymouth, calling it "the easiest bid in the world" - but also described the plans put forward by Russia as "remarkable."

After the good publicity that was generated by the 2018 team and Beckham on Friday it remains to be seen what effect Triesman's reported comments are likely to have on the FA's 2018 bid.

From its inception the bid has been troubled by infighting with senior members resigning from the board while Triesman's leadership has also been questioned.

In October the 2018 bid was criticised by Fifa vice-president Jack Warner and Danny Jordaan, who led South Africa's successful 2010 campaign.

A month later former Birmingham City director Karren Brady, who was one of six board members to stand down, said that England's hopes of hosting the 2018 World Cup were in danger of being undermined by internal politics among the bid team.

England international David Beckham (l) and Fifa chief Sepp Blatter

David Beckham hands Sepp Blatter the England 2018 World Cup bid book

In November a senior member of Fifa's executive committee returned a handbag given to his wife as a gift by the England bidding team.

The latest story was taken from a conversation Triesman reportedly had with a former civil servant aide.

The Mail on Sunday quotes Triesman as saying: "There's some evidence that the Spanish football authorities are trying to identify the referees...and pay them.

"My assumption is that the Latin Americans, although they've not said so, will vote for Spain. And if Spain drop out, because Spain are looking for help from the Russians to help bribe the referees in the World Cup, their votes may then switch to Russia."

A European bid is tipped to get the 2018 tournament with England up against Russia and joint bids from Spain/Portugal and Belgium/Netherlands.

The other bidders, although they are mainly focused on the 2022 tournament, are Australia, the United States, Japan, Qatar and South Korea.

In the reported tape recorded conversation with former aide Melissa Jacobs, Triesman also talks openly about the John Terry scandal, the governance of Premier League football clubs and criticises former Prime Minister Gordon Brown's election campaign as "awful."

Triesman reportedly said ex-England captain Terry did not feel he had done anything wrong over his affair with former club and country team-mate Wayne Bridge's former partner, Vanessa Perroncel.

:icon_lol:

In his conversation, which was tape-recorded, he told Miss Jacobs that when England manager Fabio Capello summoned Terry for a dressing-down the player asked: ‘Can I see you at home or at Stamford Bridge?’, and Fabio replied: ‘You’ll be at Wembley at 10.’

Spectacular arrogance from JT :icon_lol:

The conversation was recorded so this was a set-up.

Why are the Daily Mail and Melissa Jacobs trying to set-up the leader of our bid for 2018? This was (again) a private conversation that didnt need to become public. Its interesting as it reveals some gossip and some insights into potential corruption but why does this have to happen?

The conversation was recorded so this was a set-up.

Why are the Daily Mail and Melissa Jacobs trying to set-up the leader of our bid for 2018? This was (again) a private conversation that didnt need to become public. Its interesting as it reveals some gossip and some insights into potential corruption but why does this have to happen?

To sell papers?