Spain win 2010 WORLD CUP.

Park Life

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Viz Top Tips:

GO Dutch for a meal by kicking your partner under the table several times, and burst out crying at the end

A GOLF TEE with a drilled out core makes an ideal vuvuzela for a hamster.

ARJEN ROBBEN. Save time and effort by simply crawling around the pitch shouting 'Ref!' every 6 seconds

ITV, stick some repeats of Heartbeat on. Everyone's watching the World Cup on BBC1

Hughton: Spain's triumph has changed game

Jul 14 2010 by Lee Ryder, Evening Chronicle

CHRIS HUGHTON feels Spain’s World Cup win can change the way football is played after La Roja secured the title with a “free- flowing” style.

It was Kevin Keegan who claimed that had Newcastle United won the title in 1996 by playing a cavalier style of play, it “would have changed football forever”.

But Hughton believes the Spanish style may have an impact on the game for years to come.

Holland’s universally criticised spoiling tactics during the final on Sunday may well have made the final showpiece in Soccer City a tight affair.

But Hughton believes players such as match-winner Andres Iniesta, Xabi Alonso, Xavi and David Villa have given the game’s future stars some excellent role models to emulate.

Spain proved to be experts at getting the job done, but also did so by playing an attractive brand of football.

Hughton told the Chronicle: “Nobody really played like Spain did in the tournament, apart from maybe Brazil.

“Spain’s passing game stood out, and they showed just how effective you can be playing free-flowing football.

“That’s not only from an attacking point of view, but their movement from a defensive point of view has to be a success as well – they won a lot of games 1-0.

“They have been consistent, not only in this tournament but right the way through qualifying and further back.

“I think they’ve kept something like 20 clean sheets in 32 matches.

“For an offensive team that’s impressive, but it goes to show they’ve got it right at the back as well.

“Tactically, this has been a very interesting World Cup, but I suppose if you’re comparing Spain domestically, you could only say Arsenal attempt to produce such a similar style.”

Hughton – who was in Ireland’s squad for the 1990 World Cup – believes the tournament overall was a success in South Africa.

The Magpies manager watched the action from home, but says: “There have been some eye-catching performances and you have to be delighted with the way the tournament turned out.

“There were too many negatives before the tournament in South Africa about stadiums, transport and safety.

“But the tournament ran smoothly.

On the field, it was an interesting spectacle too. There were a lot of different systems used.

“Germany proved to be a team that played on the counter-attack and we saw the changing face of football.

“You wouldn’t have thought that England, France and Italy would be out at the last 16 stage or before, but that’s what happened.

“And you saw the emergence of teams like Paraguay, Uruguay and Ghana making it to the latter stages.

Overall, it was impossible not to enjoy the tournament.”

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/newcastle-u...72703-26849835/

Que?

What rose coloured glasses was Houghton watching the World Cup through? 4 or 5 half decent games out of 64 does not make it an enjoyable tournament

The World Cup was for the most part a complete bore from start to finish. I know a lot of people who did not enjoy it, myself included.

Edited by brummiemag1

Fucking hell, ITV soundly chinned. Heads should roll for that. I'm looking at your bost-arse face, Andy Townsend.

it seems logical to most people that your pundits on either channel should have character and be knowledgeable. Keegan and southgate were good for itv and chiles is an everyman presenter. the beeb has to get rid of shearer as he's awful. townsend offers nothing insightful and presents as f he were selling you a pound of potatoes from his barrow. .

thought seedorf and woy hodgson were first class.

Guest Gordon McKeag

He's a mug but I thought Harry brung something to the table. I agree about Shearer, he is just too predictable.

Did I hear right that ITV cut to adverts while matches were on?

:icon_lol:

I thought it was bad when they did it during the Grand Prix, but that's incredible.

No surprise they were duly caned on the ratings, irrespective of the commentary/studio teams.

Let's be honest, they're not quite Cloughie back in the studio on either channel are they? Bunch of sycophantic friends of the squad.

"He'll be disappointed with that!"

"HE'LL" be disappointed? I'm seething with it myself. Just say it was shite man!

Guest Gordon McKeag

I thought it was bad when they did it during the Grand Prix, but that's incredible.

No surprise they were duly caned on the ratings, irrespective of the commentary/studio teams.

Let's be honest, they're not quite Cloughie back in the studio on either channel are they? Bunch of sycophantic friends of the squad.

"HE'LL" be disappointed? I'm seething with it myself. Just say it was shite man!

They did but it was unintentional. It cut to an advert just as Gerrard was about to score against USA. Mongs.

As for just saying it was shite, I wish they'd give their analysis at 11pm so they can swear and say what they want. Get someone like Peter Reid on: "Lets be honest Terry is a fuckin tool, look at him prancing round thinkin he's Bobby fuckin Moore, that cunt couldn't pass the parcel the talentless overated cunt", I think that level of debate would be most welcome past the watershed. Then Desaiily jumping in "and here me now when I play in the club of Chelsea he has smallest cock in dressing room" *laughter*, it would be offending no one apart from the players and they deserve abusing and would give the country a laugh.

They did but it was unintentional. It cut to an advert just as Gerrard was about to score against USA. Mongs.

As for just saying it was shite, I wish they'd give their analysis at 11pm so they can swear and say what they want. Get someone like Peter Reid on: "Lets be honest Terry is a fuckin tool, look at him prancing round thinkin he's Bobby fuckin Moore, that cunt couldn't pass the parcel the talentless overated cunt", I think that level of debate would be most welcome past the watershed. Then Desaiily jumping in "and here me now when I play in the club of Chelsea he has smallest cock in dressing room" *laughter*, it would be offending no one apart from the players and they deserve abusing and would give the country a laugh.

You just want Ron Atkinson back to fling racial slurs at Desailly again...

:jesuswept:

You just want Ron Atkinson back to fling racial slurs at Desailly again...

I'd rather have Ron on again talking about reducers, little eyebrows and lollipops early doors than listen to Desailly go on about the goats and chickens in Ghana, the country he is so proud of he played for France.

I don't really have a problem with that. He was born in Ghana but left as a very young child and played for his adopted country. I can understand why he'd still have affection for Ghana. He's canny shit when it comes to the old summarising lark though.

I don't really have a problem with that. He was born in Ghana but left as a very young child and played for his adopted country. I can understand why he'd still have affection for Ghana. He's canny shit when it comes to the old summarising lark though.

him and davids :icon_lol: . chiles must have thought what am i getting myself into here.

Is it me or does alan hansen only really use about 5 phrases. and is he a massive pisshead that gets away with it by being scotch?