The new late drinking laws

Mark

When do they start? Does this mean clubs will be open till late as out or stil the same times? Personally I couldn't give a shite, as I wouldn't wan't to stay out till after 3am anyway.

Whats your opinions?

It'll be mayhem for the first few years as people will still 'power-drink' until they fall over / fight/ vomit.

What the government are hoping for is that people will realise that they don't have to throw as much booze as possible down their necks between 8 and 11. They can drink more leisurely in a more relaxed european sort of style.

Also the 2am rush for food / taxis / A&E will be more spread out.

The drinking culture will not change overnight in this country though.

Maybe Craig, but I can say from experience here that in general we have less of the binge/hurry up get hammered/power drink that I saw in my limited travels abroad. Pub/bar patrons still get completely pissed, but it's a gradual thing which again in my limited observations leads to less fights with other customers as well as barstaff. I like being able to get served at 2am should I wish. Last call anyone?

gotta agree with Mags and DKN, I really don't think that we will continue to binge drink to the same level and frequency as we do now, but I don't think it'll happen over-night.

the whole stigma attached to drinking in this country seems to be geared towards getting smashed, rather than enjoying the drink.

I really do think this'll help, but gradually.

Anyone seen this in conjuction with drinking till the cows come home

Keeping trouble off the streets

Nov 22 2005

By The Evening Chronicle

At first glance an all-night clinic where worse for wear revellers can sleep off the booze seems to be encouraging rather than discouraging binge-drinking.

But take a closer look and this idea could provide a solution to our overstretched hospitals which spend an inordinate amount of time treating drunks at the weekend.

The new clinic, on Newcastle's Quayside, will provide beds for up to 50 people and will help sober up partygoers by providing portable toilets, medical support and water.

The majority of people who travel into the city centre at weekend are just looking to have a good time but we have to accept that there is still a minority who go overboard and end up in the city's A&E departments.

In the majority of cases they will only need minor medical attention but because of their drunkenness, these people - who often turn up with a group of friends in a similar condition - cause distress to other patients and increase waiting times for others who need treatment.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

That is clearly not an effective use of a busy NHS.

Diverting them to the clinic will allow hospital and ambulance staff to concentrate on those who are really in need of help, rather than those who are just drunk.

Radical times call for radical measures and this remote medical centre could well be one of the solutions to the binge-drinking culture.

Providing a safe haven for those who have drunk too much could well reduce the number of anti-social incidents and their resultant injuries.

We wish it success and hope those who use it don't abuse it, but take it for what it is - there to help them.

They've opened up a sobering up centre on the Quayside for those who over indulge! FFS man, this money could be goin into schools or housing, so just cos some daft cunts can't handle their drink they can pop in and be sobered up and then taxi'd home when they are ok!

They've opened up a sobering up centre on the Quayside for those who over indulge! FFS man, this money could be goin into schools or housing, so just cos some daft cunts can't handle their drink they can pop in and be sobered up and then taxi'd home when they are ok!

59988[/snapback]

It's an ok idea if (which I doubt) the pubs in the Toon are having to pay for it. Otherwise I agree with you.

59988[/snapback]

It's an ok idea if (which I doubt) the pubs in the Toon are having to pay for it. Otherwise I agree with you.

59990[/snapback]

Doesn't it actually cut costs and save lives in that ambulances/coppers aren't having to hare it back and forward all the way from the general to take some pisshead to sleep it off in a hospital bed/cell for the night?

59988[/snapback]

59990[/snapback]

Rather than being transported to A&E and taking up nurses time and hospital space.

59988[/snapback]

59990[/snapback]

Rather than being transported to A&E and taking up nurses time and hospital space.

59994[/snapback]

If people are injured they'll still end up at A&E thought won't they?

59988[/snapback]

59990[/snapback]

59994[/snapback]

59995[/snapback]

But what about people who are just completely wasted through drink, who are incapable of getting home? I think they tend to end up in A&E.

Anyway, it can't cost much can it? Sounds like hell on earth to me.

59988[/snapback]

59990[/snapback]

59994[/snapback]

59995[/snapback]

But what about people who are just completely wasted through drink, who are incapable of getting home? I think they tend to end up in A&E.

Anyway, it can't cost much can it? Sounds like hell on earth to me.

60000[/snapback]

I know it's sounds like the last place you would want to spend a night doesn't it?

It'll be a hotspot for single lads who can't pull (Refugess and Wacky), they'll hover about the entrance waiting for a young lass who has no control over herself, whisk them off to some dingy riverside retreat for 1 way sex!

It was on the local news that it's publicly funded, so we're paying for it, they have asked the drink companies to contribute but suprisingly they've so far declined! Well i never. :D

The daft thing about the big hoo-har surrounding the new drinking laws is that I can't see them making much difference. I don't think binge drinking will increase much as lots of people already hoy as much stuff doon their throats as they possibly can before the clubs close anyway. Also, most establishments won't open for 24 hours. I heard on the news there are only about 1,000 that will be opening for 24 hours across the country and of those only about a third are pubs/clubs (the rest being hotels, supermarkets and the like). On the other side of the coin continental style hours won't bring about continental style drinking as people in this country simply don't have a comparable attitude to alcohol imo.

The daft thing about the big hoo-har surrounding the new drinking laws is that I can't see them making much difference. I don't think binge drinking will increase much as lots of people already hoy as much stuff doon their throats as they possibly can before the clubs close anyway. Also, most establishments won't open for 24 hours. I heard on the news there are only about 1,000 that will be opening for 24 hours across the country and of those only about a third are pubs/clubs (the rest being hotels, supermarkets and the like). On the other side of the coin continental style hours won't bring about continental style drinking as people in this country simply don't have a comparable attitude to alcohol imo.

60019[/snapback]

Nicely summed up. Also, it's not really that new is it? When I was at Uni in Liverpool years ago. a lot of pubs had licenses until 12 or 1, and many of the clubs were really just pubs anyway. I thought Newcastle also had a few late licensed bars?

And there will still be bugger all public transport after 11, so I reckon most people will just head home anyway.

Town where i live they basically held a meeting with all the bar/club owners and said that no where would be a license for more than 1 hour than they open now. So it's still going to binge drinking in my local town.

Overall if this idea is going to change our attitude to drinking, it'll take at least 10 years

Town where i live they basically held a meeting with all the bar/club owners and said that  no where would be a license for more than 1 hour than they open now.  So it's still going to binge drinking in my local town.

Overall if this idea is going to change our attitude to drinking, it'll take at least 10 years

60041[/snapback]

Tbh I'd have thought an hour is all people would want to wait before getting home to their blow-up sheep. :D

Town where i live they basically held a meeting with all the bar/club owners and said that  no where would be a license for more than 1 hour than they open now.  So it's still going to binge drinking in my local town.

60041[/snapback]

Tbh I'd have thought an hour is all people would want to wait before getting home to their blow-up sheep. :D

60044[/snapback]

thats only in one pub, really to find out how they discovered there was demand for blow up sheep and vibrators in the male bogs

60019[/snapback]

Nicely summed up. Also, it's not really that new is it? When I was at Uni in Liverpool years ago. a lot of pubs had licenses until 12 or 1, and many of the clubs were really just pubs anyway. I thought Newcastle also had a few late licensed bars?

And there will still be bugger all public transport after 11, so I reckon most people will just head home anyway.

60029[/snapback]

Are you agreeing with me?

:D

:icon_lol:

My local has been open more or less 24/7 for the past 5 year. Haven't seen any trouble yet, been a few divorce/seperations through it though.

Think of it as a better chance of getting your hole

Gemmil :D