Favourite Pubs

Park Life

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Food at the Welly has gone downhill since it became Chef & Brewer. If you're wanting a good food pub round that neck of the woods try the Manor House, Feathers & The Rat Inn.

To those who menionted the Boathouse, The Bull further up in Wylam is canny too.

Only really go to 2 pubs regularly. Chester Cricket Club 2 or 3 nights a week is my local and I know most of the people in there, or the Dog and Parrot in Newcastle as my mate owns it. Occasionally go to a different pub in CLS if I need to watch the match on dodgy telly

That Brew Dog pub has opened on Dean Street now (on the corner next to Surtess Hotel, it's been a few restaurants down the years). I used to go as a bairn when it was the Italian Job. It featured in the film Stormy Monday (as Wee Gees). Bit of naff movie trivia there.

That Brew Dog pub has opened on Dean Street now (on the corner next to Surtess Hotel, it's been a few restaurants down the years). I used to go as a bairn when it was the Italian Job. It featured in the film Stormy Monday (as Wee Gees). Bit of naff movie trivia there.

heard mixed reviews...

one mate said its bollocks (asked for a bottle of larger - cost 6 quid)

another mate said its THE bollocks (great booze apparently)

Haven't been in but their beer is nice. Also, apparently they look for locations that are suitable but also disused when opening their pubs. Some of the pints of guest ale in the Free Trade are about £5-6. Canny boozer and all that but that is taking the piss a bit. Keeps the charvs out like.

Haven't been in but their beer is nice. Also, apparently they look for locations that are suitable but also disused when opening their pubs. Some of the pints of guest ale in the Free Trade are about £5-6. Canny boozer and all that but that is taking the piss a bit. Keeps the charvs out like.

aye,

Free Trade is my local like. I live about 15 seconds from it...dangerous proximity.

Best pub in town for ale imo. 5-6 quid is scandalous, but you get your moneys worth. Also, they always have cracking ales for under 3 quid, so i guess that equalises it out. If you haven't had them before, try the crisps they have there called 'Blair's Death Rain.' Amazing, but put your bog roll in the freezer beforehand cos when they come out the other end they'll tear you a new one. Spicy as fuck.

heard mixed reviews...

It's expensive if you don't get Brewdog stuff as it's all imported/random bottles from all over. Not a place to go unless you're into your ales/fancy dan shit. Was £3.70 for a pint of Punk IPA, very nice it was too.

Got pinball and board games and all that n all.

Edited by Hoon

heard mixed reviews...

It's expensive if you don't get Brewdog stuff as it's all imported/random bottles from all over. Not a place to go unless you're into your ales/fancy dan shit. Was £3.70 for a pint of Punk IPA, very nice it was too.

Got pinball and board games and all that n all.

good use of post editing right there ;)

Was speaking to the manager of the free trade and he finds them a wonderful tool to get rid of groups of radgy cunts in there from time to time. Gave a free bowl of them to a table of chavvy yorkshire men on a stag do who were being really rude and aggressive to the rest of the punters including locals. they just shut up and after downing a couple of ciders each whilst looking like they were about to explode, they silently left with their tails between their legs.

Ha now ya talkinn ! We used to go there when we were 14-15 simply to get to the 'club' downstairs . I remember their calzones were quality mind. Finish the pizza (and the little bowl of mints !) then off downstairs in our Le Breves for pints of blastaway (bottle 1080 and bottle Castaway I think it was) and a possible fumble in the dark ! Happy days .

Before one particular Saturday night trip there I remember having a shot on what was me grandparents' UV / heatlamp thing (some Boots' own make job that stood on a table that gave off heat/UV and used for aches etc.) Obviously hoping for a bit of a sunbed glow I sat infront of this thing for well over the recommended ("whey thaz aanly one sun" etc) .

I felt the burn come on during the meal and with the beers coming on I started to feel a touch warm lets say. Me mates quickly got onto the fact I was looking like Jamie Carragher after extra time which made it worse . Had to take the Monday and Tuesday off school out of lobster-dished embarrasment !

I walked past there the other Friday as they were setting up . Seemed to be all Blake Fielder-Civil types that worked there and imagine it's pretty much up it's own arse .

:lol:

Aye, I remember the disco/clurb downstairs. Me uncle knew the bloke who had the place. Dodgy punter apparently but he seemed alright. Brian something iirc. Think you're right about the new place probably being up its own arse like but I thought it might be canny for a couple before getting the yellow bus to the Ouseburn.

Edited by Hank

Wasn't Brian Tinnion was it !? Was a great venue generally - good atmosphere and wotnot .

I was down that way last Fri afternoon catching up with a mate over a few scoops ouside Quayside Bar .

Hadn't been along quayside in a few years and tell you what - it was fucking depressing .

Seeing what was Offshore shut etc was earie.

Used to love standing-off in the courtyard there in the summer back in the day and the quay generally holds some great memories .

Still , nothing stays the same etc .

Wasn't Brian Tinnion was it !? Was a great venue generally - good atmosphere and wotnot .

I was down that way last Fri afternoon catching up with a mate over a few scoops ouside Quayside Bar .

Hadn't been along quayside in a few years and tell you what - it was fucking depressing .

Used to love standing-off in the courtyard there in the summer back in the day and the quay generally holds some great memories .

The footballer? Either way, that wasn't his name. I'll try and remember, me Dad would know.

But aye, they're trying to regenerate that area I think but it's really died a death. Had the Xmas work meal down there a couple of years ago and the only bar that was busy was the Crown Posada (which is busy if there's about 10 people in). All the others were dead. This was about a week before Xmas too. Most of the bars round there were always shit like but that never stopped people going in the past. I'm glad in a way though, places like the Quilted Camel and Marthas seemed to pride themselves on selling the worst lager at the steepest prices.

Edited by Hank

i couldn't believe the state of the quayside last time i was up. it's like a ghost town - all the boozers have shut!

Is Offshore gone now is it? Haven't been down there in years.

Sorry - missed this earlier - yeah mate it's as dead as Bettie Surtees herself . Been shut over a year apparently . Looking up the lane to what was the courtyard was kinda sad . As DrG says it's all pretty much ground to a halt . Even the cheap n cheerfull Rumpolis has shut . Unos still hanging on though I noticed .

Anyone else here go to the Famous Three Kings or Cock and Lion in London for matchdays? Deece craic and FTK does saturday ko's.

Used to go there quite a bit, aye. Less so recently.

Update on Brewdog pub discussion:

Mate just posted this on the internet:

DO NOT drink in the BREW DOG pub... If by some horrible coincidence you do end up there.. DO NOT order a bottle instead of a 1/2 or 2/3rds or whatever pretentious shit they offer. £16.50 for a pint.... £16.50 for a PINT of a beer... BEER. Fuck you Brew Dog... FUCK YOU