The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

Remember kids, drugs are cool.

American Chad Haga was one of the riders most seriously injured after a British driver drove head-on into the Giant-Alpecin team while they were training on the roads near Calpe, Spain, but one day later he reassured his friends and supporters by sending a message on Twitter.

From the intensive care unit one day after the crash, Haga wrote, "I've burned through my phone battery reading all your support messages. I'm alive and have much to be thankful for."

Haga was riding in the bunch when the 73-year-old woman, driving a right-hand car from the UK on the left-hand Spanish roads reportedly crossed the centre line and collided head-on with the riders. He was airlifted from the scene of the incident with deep wounds to his chest, neck, chin and face that were surgically repaired. He suffered a broken orbital bone in his face that will require surgery after the swelling goes down.

"No TV in the ICU, so Twitter is my entertainment. Maybe some levity will make me feel better," Haga wrote. "Whoever said 'lead with your face' is an idiot. Definitely don't do that."

Of his helicopter ride from the scene, he quipped, "I was kinda expecting helicopter rides to be more fun than that. They must have a great marketer."

"Weight loss technique for the ill-advised: smash your face on a car, you won't eat for days," he joked.

Finally, every rider is required to update the anti-doping authorities with their whereabouts in order to be located for doping control, but Haga was unsure of what to tell them in this instance, "I guess I should update my whereabouts, but I doubt 'the room with blue walls' will help them much, & I don't know their policy on catheters."

Haga and teammate John Degenkolb were the most seriously injured of the six riders affected by the crash. Degenkolb risks missing out on defending his titles in Milan-San Remo and Paris-Roubaix after having his finger nearly severed in the incident. Warren Barguil broke a bone in his hand, Max Walscheid fractured his hand and tibia, and Fredrik Ludvigsson escaped with multiple contusions. Ramon Sinkeldam thought he'd avoided the worst, but found out Monday that he'd fractured his scapula, but it will not require surgery.

Team manager Iwan Spekenbrink told Cyclingnews that the crash was a major blow to the team's racing goals, but that is secondary to the riders' health. We know that we will be set back for some months with the team in terms of sport but thats the second priority," he said. In the coming days well start working on re-planning things but it will take some time before were at our full strength again. We have a strong spirit and well get out of this stronger."

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Tour 't Yorkshire starts today and fuck me what a week. Started off with allegations of the cunt sutton and finished off with Simon Yates testing positive :lol:

Its snowing here and shite. Just donning on the lycra ready to got out and watch it :lol:

I was crossing a zebra crossing yesterday and this bird approaches on her pushbike as I'm about half way across, then bangs on her breaks as she realises I'm not giving way for her. We both give each over evils then she shouts at me that I should allow for her breaking time. Now what sort of shit is that? Is it mandatory that cyclists have zero understanding of the Highway Code? You give way to pedestrians on zebra crossings when they're already crossing - not the other way around. I was too dumbstruck to offer a retort but I wish I had - the stupid bitch.

I was crossing a zebra crossing yesterday and this bird approaches on her pushbike as I'm about half way across, then bangs on her breaks as she realises I'm not giving way for her. We both give each over evils then she shouts at me that I should allow for her breaking time. Now what sort of shit is that? Is it mandatory that cyclists have zero understanding of the Highway Code? You give way to pedestrians on zebra crossings when they're already crossing - not the other way around. I was too dumbstruck to offer a retort but I wish I had - the stupid bitch.

I'm not saying this applies to all cyclists, but there are a large proportion who give zero fucks about the highway code, other people's safety, where they should be on the road at any given time, and of course red lights.

The ones who mount the kerb when they get to the lights so they can continue on unimpeded particularly annoy me.

I generally find motorists to be much safer to co-exist with.

Gloomy your perfect retort would have been along the lines of "I'll break your neck any time now".

It's best to go way over the top early in these situations before they escalate.

You'd only need to follow through if she continued with the back chat.

Few years ago i thoroughly enjoyed putting the shoulder into a cyclist who tried to bomb through a set of lights when the pedestrian crossing sign was up, i'd no chance of getting out of his way the speed he was going no choice but to turn into it and hope for the best, if it had of been a kid or an elderly person they'd have got a serious knock

Took him clean off his bike, remained standing there as he ended up in a heap on the ground and watched as the bike skidded under a lorry on the other side of the road :lol:

You, sir, are a hero.

I was once going through a set of lights. They were on green it was my right of way, a women walked out on her phone didn't look at all. I smashed into her and I got a load of abuse even after I pointed out that the crossing was on red and it was my right of way.

If we had a thread about motors and driving fuck me it would be the most popular thread in here :lol:

When I lived in Clapham I had to ring an ambulance for a cyclist who pulled out on a car and got hit.

While I was waiting for it another one did the same thing and got hit by a different car.

It was like lemmings, Darwinian even.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nairo needs to go full retard to beat the mutant.

The team presentations were cool yesterday as it respected D-day.

Stage one has massive potential for cross winds so I hope so :)

Green - Sagan

Polka - Edet

Young - Nairo

Yellow - fuckweisel

I've had a side bet on Cav not winning a stage. He won't get to Paris and will pull out in the second week to prepare for Rio so a good possibility. There is about 7 sprint stages in total. Hope he does take stage 1 as it means he has held all the leaders jerseys in the grand tours then.