The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

Good on you for going to the gym mate. I’ve gone back twice this week since the chemo and tried to do what I used to do, I nearly died the first time and ran out of energy after 20 minutes the second time.

Better than duck pizzas though

11 hours ago, Tom said:

Thanks for the help guys, I had a bit of a warm up and ended up doing 10k as fast as I could, my best pace arrived for the final 2k but it was good fun, a lot quicker than the other day too. 

At the moment I'm wanting to shift some weight so I can run a little easier...I don't have *too* much to lose by my knees are delicate so I need to give them all the help I can :lol: 

Good lad.

Try and go for a strong finish.  Go on what is called Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE).  So basically how the effort feels;

0 - You're sat on the bike basically doing nothing!

1 - Very easy

2 - Easy

3 - Moderate

4 - Heavier

5 - Heavy

6 - 

7 - Very Heavy

8 - 

9 - 

10 - Maximal

Try this one;

5 Min warm up, starting off at 2 going to 3 towards the end.

30s 'sprint' 7-8 (keeping leg speed high)

1 min recovery 5

30s 'Sprint' 7-8 (again keeping leg speed high)

1 min recovery 5

Then

5 mins at 2

Then

10mins 5 working towards 10 at the end.  At the start build up over a minute to 5.  Then set a pace that you think you can hold for the full 10mins.  After 5 mins reassess where you are.  If you feel you can go harder, step it up a notch but not too much.  Then keep reassessing every minute.  Aim to finish the last minute hard.  Aim for 10 over the last 30s.

This is a great burner.  Aim to keep your leg speed as high as possible.  If the machine has a cadence sensor aim for 90rpm min. As you have sensitive knees it will be good for them.

• Like 1

I live next to Rising Sun Country Park so I’ve been taking the dog out for a few long walks, usually in the 5-7 mile range. It’s got loads of different tracks and a few bits with some incline too. Obviously it’s not exactly hiking the Dolomites but it’s interesting and pleasant enough terrain.  

I've done the parkrun there a couple of times and keep meaning to go back to explore it properly, because obviously that route only takes in one specific part of it (mostly on the flat). Plus the last time it was absolutely lashing it down so there was no great incentive to stick around and meander. :lol:

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, Meenzer said:

I've done the parkrun there a couple of times and keep meaning to go back to explore it properly, because obviously that route only takes in one specific part of it (mostly on the flat). Plus the last time it was absolutely lashing it down so there was no great incentive to stick around and meander. :lol:

The cafe is crap btw 

I believe they have a "parkrun offer" of a discount on a fry-up in a bun - seems a bit off-brand, but hey :lol: - so I've nearly been tempted to stick around for that before. Good to know. :D 

• Haha 1

On 18/01/2019 at 09:11, wykikitoon said:

Good lad.

Try and go for a strong finish.  Go on what is called Relative Perceived Exertion (RPE).  So basically how the effort feels;

0 - You're sat on the bike basically doing nothing!

1 - Very easy

2 - Easy

3 - Moderate

4 - Heavier

5 - Heavy

6 - 

7 - Very Heavy

8 - 

9 - 

10 - Maximal

Try this one;

5 Min warm up, starting off at 2 going to 3 towards the end.

30s 'sprint' 7-8 (keeping leg speed high)

1 min recovery 5

1 min recovery 5

Then

5 mins at 2

Then

10mins 5 working towards 10 at the end.  At the start build up over a minute to 5.  Then set a pace that you think you can hold for the full 10mins.  After 5 mins reassess where you are.  If you feel you can go harder, step it up a notch but not too much.  Then keep reassessing every minute.  Aim to finish the last minute hard.  Aim for 10 over the last 30s.

This is a great burner.  Aim to keep your leg speed as high as possible.  If the machine has a cadence sensor aim for 90rpm min. As you have sensitive knees it will be good for them.

Ok so that was too much to take in for todays visit but...I'll give it a shot when I'm less of a gym amateur. It's canny funny because its the Uni gym and there's all these sports club people who've clearly never drank 10 cans out of boredom and then there's me who's probably closer to a Pete Doherty type character than the de facto semi pro athletes I'm surrounded by :lol:

Anyway I put the machine on 3 setting...tried to keep a steady 115rpm for the first 8k and then did 120 to 130rpm for the last two and it was just over 16 minutes. 

Legs feel fine now but I did some other shite with me arms and they feel like jelly. To think I was going to harass the neighbours with some guitaring today too.

• Like 1

I've moved on to 20k, with the first  10k on 4 and the second on 3 setting. My times this week have been getting better from 38 minutes to 34 minutes and today I got 33 minutes. I'm enjoying it tbh :lol: 

• Like 2

• 4 months later...
11 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Would you call Froome a living legend, wykiki. Be honest. 

What has happened to him is horrific.  His career is over, I just hope he can live a normal life for his young un's.

Cycling wise, he's smashed off his tits more than Chez!

Cobo just about to get popped for an AAF on his Bio.  Which in recent weeks has been shown to be as much use as a chocolate fireguard.  Anyways, he is popped for that.  Yet Froome who finished 2nd in that Vuelta was an even bigger shock than that cunt winning it.  Cobo was already a decent climber.  In 2008 he was second on the Hautacam by seconds.  Meanwhile, the future TdF 'legend' was back in 116th over 30 minutes down!  Laughable.

Get your bets on the Dawg been sports personality though this year out of a sympathy vote!

• 1 month later...
On 20/07/2019 at 08:32, Gemmill said:

@wykikitoon Are we having this Alaphilippe performance? Or is he alright cos he's not on Team Sky? ;)

Smashed off his fucking skull.  I was fully expecting him to leave at the rest day yeterday because he was glowing that much.

However if you want hypocrisy have a look at the shite David Walsh is saying.   Apparently JA is filth, yet the Magic Kenyan is amazing.  Same with a load of shite of Shite Radar.  Gimps calling him out yet when people call out the Dawg they ask for evidence :lol: