The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

The thing is so many act like idiots that it means nobody has much sympathy for then when it isn't their fault.

I also still can't believe its legal for lorries to not have blind spot mirrors which is a big contributor.

The thing is so many act like idiots that it means nobody has much sympathy for then when it isn't their fault.

I also still can't believe its legal for lorries to not have blind spot mirrors which is a big contributor.

I've got no sympathy for them - if you run red lights then expect to stack it on occasion.

It seems the plod in London have had enough of it as for the past few weeks they've been plotted up at the intersection near Bank handing out tickets to (irate) cyclists.

I've got no sympathy for them - if you run red lights then expect to stack it on occasion.

It seems the plod in London have had enough of it as for the past few weeks they've been plotted up at the intersection near Bank handing out tickets to (irate) cyclists.

Excellent. Saw a cyclist knock over a girl who was crossing the road on a green man yesterday - didn't even stop to apologise. Fuck 'em.

Excellent. Saw a cyclist knock over a girl who was crossing the road on a green man yesterday - didn't even stop to apologise. Fuck 'em.

Happens all the time. About 6 months ago my boss hadn't turned it and when he finally showed up (raging) he was limping with his suit trousers in tatters after a looney on a mountain bike had wiped him out at the lights.

There was some sort of protest a few weeks back by all the cyclists in London. Me and the Mrs were going for dinner near London Bridge and when we emerged from the tube there were literally hundreds of the feckers going down Tooley street. As we tried to get across the road it was like dodging bullets as none of them were stopping for lights. They're a law unto themselves and deserve all they get.

I got hit by a cyclist going through a red light on Percy St years ago, hit me at pace and knocked me flying. He went flying as well, but got up like a shit off stick and peddled furiously awat from me. Twat.

Was discussing this with a colleague at work this morning who admits he goes through red lights. I said I'd take pleasure in clipping him if I saw him do it and was only half joking. Twats. If they want to be regarded as a road vehicle they should obey the laws of the road.

I got hit by a cyclist in an underpass a couple of year ago, luckily the rider came worse off but it was still painful. Could have been lethal to a kid or granny etc.

Biggest twats on the road by a mile....

Walking to work is a complete nightmare sometimes, especially before work in the town centre. There is sort of a decking area near my office where pedestrians are meant to use it to cross the fountains etc... but the cyclists take it over at such a stupid pace all dodging each other as well as us. They need to be treated the same as car users when it comes to jumping red lights, cycling on pavements etc.

The thing is I see this from 3 different angles - driving, walking and as a leisure cyclist who tends to stick to country roads /quiet roads on the edge of town.

I think I get most annoyed as a pedestrian by those who use pavements - especially to get around red lights - I reckon they should be required to stick to the roads and obey traffic laws. I'd also point out that as a driver I pay road tax which I think applies to a sizeable proportion of cyclists anyway.

Having said that I think car/van drivers can be absolute twats when it comes to bikes and thats where my sympathy angle comes from - I've been lucky in only having near misses or light collisions as an adult cyclist but I can honestly say that every problem I've had has been because of driver stupidity - and I have to say mostly women - the classic being the overtake then turn left in front of you manouvere which is the one that does actually kill cyclists every day.

It boils my piss this sort of shit.

I am a biker who covers approx 180 mile a week and I have commuted on bike for a while. I see so many jump red lights and then these cunts are the first to complain when cars beep them. I cant stand cyclists who ride on the fucking pavement too.

WANKERS.

Also, you have to have your whits about you so much to bike in any city. Undertaking trucks etc on a corner, it will only end one way I am afraid.

The thing is I see this from 3 different angles - driving, walking and as a leisure cyclist who tends to stick to country roads /quiet roads on the edge of town.

I think I get most annoyed as a pedestrian by those who use pavements - especially to get around red lights - I reckon they should be required to stick to the roads and obey traffic laws. I'd also point out that as a driver I pay road tax which I think applies to a sizeable proportion of cyclists anyway.

Having said that I think car/van drivers can be absolute twats when it comes to bikes and thats where my sympathy angle comes from - I've been lucky in only having near misses or light collisions as an adult cyclist but I can honestly say that every problem I've had has been because of driver stupidity - and I have to say mostly women - the classic being the overtake then turn left in front of you manouvere which is the one that does actually kill cyclists every day.

Makes no difference if you're already a driver: if you had two cars you'd have to pay road tax on both of them. I've been saying for a while, if the government needs to raise extra revenue to pay off the deficit, tax cyclists.

Makes no difference if you're already a driver: if you had two cars you'd have to pay road tax on both of them. I've been saying for a while, if the government needs to raise extra revenue to pay off the deficit, tax cyclists.

Well if a car is about £200 when it's worth say 10k on average what do you think would be a fair amount for a bike worth say £200 on average?

I'd be happy to pay £10 say but much more than that and you're taking the piss imo.

Will never happen - the greenies would go bezrek. Especially in Laaahndon with Boris and his biking antics.

Walking to work is a complete nightmare sometimes, especially before work in the town centre. There is sort of a decking area near my office where pedestrians are meant to use it to cross the fountains etc... but the cyclists take it over at such a stupid pace all dodging each other as well as us. They need to be treated the same as car users when it comes to jumping red lights, cycling on pavements etc.

Another thing that boils my piss is silly cunts like you.

Another thing that boils my piss is silly cunts like you.

:o I don't see how my views differ from anyone elses in this thread.. including yours!

Taxing cyclists is plain silly though. What damage to the road surface do they do? They should be registered though, but I'm not sure how the plate would fit onto the frame.....

Taxing cyclists is plain silly though. What damage to the road surface do they do? They should be registered though, but I'm not sure how the plate would fit onto the frame.....

I think most responsible cyclists do cover their bikes on house insurance and may have some kind of third party cover which is registration of a kind.

(And of course car road tax comes nowhere near covering the actual costs of roads anyway)

I think most responsible cyclists do cover their bikes on house insurance and may have some kind of third party cover which is registration of a kind.

(And of course car road tax comes nowhere near covering the actual costs of roads anyway)

You're way off base. The government has averaged £38 billion per annum over the last ten years in road user taxation (vehicle tax, fuel duty etc.) whilst spending an average £15 billion per year over the same period on all of transport (roads, rail, aviation, tube, tram, the lot).

Thinking about it, a cycling road tax would be difficult to enforce. And if it was for a relatively modest amount (say £25 or under) most of it would go on its own administration. My new great idea is a £25 tax on all new pushbikes sold in this country. Simple to administer and impossible to avoid. You can have that one on me Mr Osbourne.

Edited by Dr Kenneth Noisewater

You're way off base. The government has averaged £38 billion per annum over the last ten years in road user taxation (vehicle tax, fuel duty etc.) whilst spending an average £15 billion per year over the same period on all of transport (roads, rail, aviation, tube, tram, the lot).

Thinking about it, a cycling road tax would be difficult to enforce. And if it was for a relatively modest amount (say £25 or under) most of it would go on its own administration. My new great idea is a £25 tax on all new pushbikes sold in this country. Simple to administer and impossible to avoid. You can have that one on me Mr Osbourne.

Not very green is it? :D

Here's an idea, tax second cars to fuck. :o