The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

How many taxes in the UK are actually hypothecated anyway, or is wykiki just being ridiculously pedantic?

As for taking a car off the road, bikes are a bigger problem in my experience. And cyclists smoke more weed too; it's a canny rush smoking and cycling tbf.

How many taxes in the UK are actually hypothecated anyway, or is wykiki just being ridiculously pedantic?

As for taking a car off the road, bikes are a bigger problem in my experience. And cyclists smoke more weed too; it's a canny rush smoking and cycling tbf.

Youre in London arent you Renton? Ive never experienced cycling in London, but read about it.

The amount of cars, trucks, vans etc you past whilst cycling who's drivers are texting, on the phone, not indicating, not using their mirrors, illegal moves. The worst culprits IMO are buses and women. Women have ZERO space awareness about them at all.

If youre a twat, youre a twat in a car or on a bike IMO.

Just seen this thread. You still training for a final season of 11-a-side, Stevie?

No mate :lol: I went to the hospital because me knee was killing me, nurse said I should just stop playing full stop. Played since and its so much pain afterwards. It's alright on me bike or cross trainer it's just playing football. It's a shame, I thought I'd go on forever, maybe I should rest it for a few months and see how it is then.

Sorry to hear that. I can't imagine having to give up footy or something like that I love.

Nope, Newcastle. I don't blame riders btw, just don't think the roads are designed for them. If it was more like holland I'd cycle myself.

Ah right.

I think its a mixture of both tbh. Its also culture too. Too many people are inpatient in this country.

I have cycled in the Netherlands and Belgium, its a massive shock the first time you do. I stopped at a roundabout and an HGV stopped and I was wondering why, he had stopped for me to join it!

I work in an engineering consultancy and speak with the highways bods a lot about their design. They dont really have much choice on some new designs but not to cater for cyclists, either the budget isnt there or the guidance is so out of date its untrue.

The government has averaged £38 billion per annum over the last ten years in road user taxation (vehicle tax, fuel duty etc.) whilst spending an average £15 billion per year over the same period on all of transport (roads, rail, aviation, tube, tram, the lot). Therefore motorists are not only paying for all transport, but subsidising a fair few other government departments as well. And what have we got to show for it? Cramped, expensive, unreliable and crumbling railways and shite public transport infrastructure.

The government has averaged £38 billion per annum over the last ten years in road user taxation (vehicle tax, fuel duty etc.) whilst spending an average £15 billion per year over the same period on all of transport (roads, rail, aviation, tube, tram, the lot). Therefore motorists are not only paying for all transport, but subsidising a fair few other government departments as well. And what have we got to show for it? Cramped, expensive, unreliable and crumbling railways and shite public transport infrastructure.

Are you older than you're letting on Dr. Ken?

:wub:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/141...-by-combat.html

• 3 weeks later...

Well, finally done it. Left the house at 6.45am this morning and cycled 19mile to work. Took 2hrs. Mostly on the National cycle Route [7]. Was fucked after the first 1.5mile as from mine out of Lanchester there is a huge hill. But after that it was canny. Fairly flat but generally down hill.

Prob now is going back home at 5pm :/

Well, finally done it. Left the house at 6.45am this morning and cycled 19mile to work. Took 2hrs. Mostly on the National cycle Route [7]. Was fucked after the first 1.5mile as from mine out of Lanchester there is a huge hill. But after that it was canny. Fairly flat but generally down hill.

Where's your work?

Where's your work?

Right in Mackemland :lol:

Just off the A1231 on the Sunderland side of the A19. Cycle through Castletown (think Benwell) on way. That cycle route takes you from Beamish all the way to the big Asda in Washington.

Runs his own business, Stevie, so he CHOSE to put it in Sunderland. Make of that what you will.

a wrongun if Ive ever seen one

<_<

I did, I was of sound mind and I chose Sunderland.

You know why? Mainly because it was fucking cheap :lol: But also much of the competition is North Tyneside and some Team Valley so I pick up a fair bit of trade counter sales this side saving engineers the journey through the tunnel etc.

It's not all bad, every time we beat them I get to come here looking smug as owt <_<

Runs his own business, Stevie, so he CHOSE to put it in Sunderland. Make of that what you will.

<_<

You know why? Mainly because it was fucking cheap :lol: But also much of the competition is North Tyneside and some Team Valley so I pick up a fair bit of trade counter sales this side saving engineers the journey through the tunnel etc.

It's not all bad, every time we beat them I get to come here looking smug as owt <_<

What's ya annual turnover/profit margins [/noseytwat]

<_<

Last year our t/o was £5.5M. GP% is around 16% and Net% around 2.7 on basic trading before adjustment (bad debts, depreciation, stock write off blah blah).

Cycled home last night. Fuck that for a laugh. Getting down was fine but going back is pretty much a constant slog in varying uphill gradients. 2Hrs to get there, 3 1/2 to get back. I was well and truely fucked. I reckon I had less in me than when I done the great north run. Going to look and see if I can get a train from Mackemland to Durham and cycle back from there.

<_<

Last year our t/o was £5.5M. GP% is around 16% and Net% around 2.7 on basic trading before adjustment (bad debts, depreciation, stock write off blah blah).

...and it's your company? This time next year......

Cycled home last night. Fuck that for a laugh. Getting down was fine but going back is pretty much a constant slog in varying uphill gradients. 2Hrs to get there, 3 1/2 to get back. I was well and truely fucked. I reckon I had less in me than when I done the great north run. Going to look and see if I can get a train from Mackemland to Durham and cycle back from there.

Can you not pay a Mackem to push/pull you home?