The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

When you read it (it's terribly written btw) you can see why she would be so bitter. Everything she achieved seems to have been in spite of a total lack of support by British Cycling from her time as a junior rider right through her career.

It sounds like, outside of the bubble created around the male cyclists, British Cycling is an absolute shitshow. Especially if you're female.

There really is no excuse for Sky not to have a women's team either. They've got more than enough funding to support it.

When you read it (it's terribly written btw) you can see why she would be so bitter. Everything she achieved seems to have been in spite of a total lack of support by British Cycling from her time as a junior rider right through her career.

It sounds like, outside of the bubble created around the male cyclists, British Cycling is an absolute shitshow. Especially if you're female.

There really is no excuse for Sky not to have a women's team either. They've got more than enough funding to support it.

Read her book if you havent, great read.

ANY WT team should have a womens team to get their license.  It should be made mandatory by the UCI.  Bora, Sky, Connondale, QS all have budgets of millions, no issue of not having the money.

Especially Sky, with this too, I mean, no wonder he took a TUE;

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I don't get tour cycling as a spectacle. Bit like F1. I went to silverstone once and didn't have a clue what the fuck was going on, or who was in the lead. Once you get past the noise the cars make and the speed they move at in the flesh, it's pretty dry. Ended up watching most of it on the tellies in the beer tent.

Couple of shots from yesterday's Tour de Yorkshire in Whitby.

34298091386_80a5a90900_z.jpg

34208445331_497cd0a0f2_z.jpg

34180974392_2582d823c1_z.jpg

34180980372_655f51e841_z.jpg

34180968602_befe45c432_z.jpg

Class

The mullet of Mitch Docker :D  With local(ish) lad Harry Tanfield behind him.

Thought the first two stages were a bit dull from a racing point of view, but stage 3 was immense.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Have any of you lot done Lands End to John o Groats? A mate of mine has asked if I'll do it with him next June for charity, which I've agreed to because why not?

But, I'm not a particularly experienced rider and haven't actually owned a bike for a couple of years so there is some work to do.

41 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Have any of you lot done Lands End to John o Groats? A mate of mine has asked if I'll do it with him next June for charity, which I've agreed to because why not?

But, I'm not a particularly experienced rider and haven't actually owned a bike for a couple of years so there is some work to do.

Holy fuck :lol:

Be careful in the Scottish highlands, there isn't a lot of room on the roads in places and people overtake in crazy areas.

38 minutes ago, Andrew said:

I havent but I know a load who have.

It depends on your timescale.  If you want to do it in a week you'll be smashing it for a rider with minimal experiance, riding approx 200km a day.  If you do it in a fortnight 100km a day is pretty 'easy' for someone who isnt experianced.  Yes get some base fitness up and then you will be fine and ride into some decent fitness by the end.

You also have to think.  Will it be supported? I.e will you have people moving your bags to B&B's or will you be doing it?  If so that adds anotehr dimension and you really need to think about a touring bike.

26 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

I havent but I know a load who have.

It depends on your timescale.  If you want to do it in a week you'll be smashing it for a rider with minimal experiance, riding approx 200km a day.  If you do it in a fortnight 100km a day is pretty 'easy' for someone who isnt experianced.  Yes get some base fitness up and then you will be fine and ride into some decent fitness by the end.

You also have to think.  Will it be supported? I.e will you have people moving your bags to B&B's or will you be doing it?  If so that adds anotehr dimension and you really need to think about a touring bike.

timescale we're looking at about 12 days I think, which doesn't concern me too much between now and next June I should be able to get to a point where I can do that or I'll have failed badly.

I've floated the support question to the group but I think the idea was for it to be unsupported, I've been looking at touring/hybrid bikes and would likely go that way anyway from my reading so far.

4 minutes ago, Andrew said:

timescale we're looking at about 12 days I think, which doesn't concern me too much between now and next June I should be able to get to a point where I can do that or I'll have failed badly.

I've floated the support question to the group but I think the idea was for it to be unsupported, I've been looking at touring/hybrid bikes and would likely go that way anyway from my reading so far.

If you're doing it unsupported then make sure you dont take a rucksack.  You will be crippled.  A proper pannier rack is a must and it makes things a hell of a lot more enjoyable.

12 Days is a decent length to enjoy it.

Well...I'm locked in now, just ordered a whole heap of gear to get started!

Just shy of £600 on a bike and about £250 on other gear and now I can't stop reading up on activity watches and GPS's.

This could get expensive :razz:

15 minutes ago, ewerk said:

Personally I'd have just donated the £850 to the charity and saved myself the ballache of the cycle but each to their own. ;)

If I can make more than £500 for a charity for playing video games I can outdo £850 with this!