The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

I went to watch Stag 2 of this years Tour of Britain and went to one of the King of the Mountain climbs. I went up at a resonable rate, waited and then they came up. They were chatting and laughing! I got up at 21km/h, they got up it at about 28km/h whilst chatting!

My lass is even on about getting herself a bike. :lol: The problem is how easy the blokes on the Telly make it look - in reality, when she faces her first slight incline, she'll turn around, come home, and want to take her bike to the tip. :lol:

CT will buy it off her. :good:

I'd have been pushing my bike up the hill! Fucking 21km/h!

Interesting article about the disturbingly impressive performance of the podium riders at the Vuelta:

http://www.cyclismas...k-to-the-future

Its a strange thing once you get sucked into cycling. It's an absolutely fantastic sport, but once you get seriously interested, and assuming you aren't some sort of mouth breeding idiot, you start to discover the dark side. The Vuelta was fantastic this year, but the days racing that won the race was the day after the rest day when Contador went on a magnificent solo attack. Anybody with any idea about the history of the sport can't fail to raise a quizzical eyebrow.

Aye, its a cracker, I saw him in Dublin airport not long after it had come out and I got him to sign it :D

Gemmill, if you're about this weekend and fancy watching some Road racing. The World Championships are on at the moment, Mens Elite is Sunday and Womens is Saturday, should be a good watch.

Other Cycling reads too which are canny.

Shades of Light & Dark - Bjarne Riis

How I won the yellow jumper - Ned Boulting

Bad Blood - Jeremey Whittle

The Death of Marco Pantani - Matt rendall

In Pursuit of Glory - Bradley Wiggins

Boy Racer - Mark Cavendish

The book Tyler Hamilton has just brought out is a must read. Nothing those who are interested didn't already know, but lays it out so graphically it still takes the breath away

Its a strange thing once you get sucked into cycling. It's an absolutely fantastic sport, but once you get seriously interested, and assuming you aren't some sort of mouth breeding idiot, you start to discover the dark side. The Vuelta was fantastic this year, but the days racing that won the race was the day after the rest day when Contador went on a magnificent solo attack. Anybody with any idea about the history of the sport can't fail to raise a quizzical eyebrow.

Aye, I enjoyed the Vuelta. Basically needed something to watch after the Olympics all went away, and got sucked into watching this and it was great. Never been into it in the past, but I've got a football sized hole in my life at the minute, so have been occupying myself reading a lot about the sport - particularly the whole Armstrong drama (what an appalling cunt the bloke is when you scratch the surface btw. Kudos to his PR team for keeping it so well hidden to the layman) and the corruption at the UCI. As you say, the sport itself is compelling and the dark arts that are going on behind the scene, whilst damaging to the sport, don't half give you something to get your teeth into when there's no actual racing to watch.

Just started Hamilton's book last night.

This weekend is the traditional final race of the season, the Race of the falling leaves. Giro di Lombardia.

Last Brit to win was the late great Tom Simpson. Oliver Zaugg took the impressive win last season, but this could be the fist win for new World Champion Philippe Gilbert. He should win it, he took an impressive win in 2010 in the pissing rain.

Its on Eurosport, but only for an hour :( 15:00 onwards.

315-RTXTI4B.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Getting a second hand bike from a family member to take out to see if my back can take the strain blah blah blah.

Just wondering what sort of equipment people would recommend to take with me? Also what sort of cycling wear would you consider paramount? What do I need to protect the hoop etc. ;)

Would have thought you were much better sticking to an exercise bike until after your appointment. Some shocking holes in the road to jiggle your back.

If you do go though, those flashing led lights are a must. Amazing how many cyclists you can come close to running over. Not those flashy fucks though.

cycling is notorious for bad backs.... if you haven't gone out on the bike i'd be very careful.

any how, have been cycling again now for 4 months and despite the rain its been pretty enjoyable. spoilt myself for xmas and am getting the parts for my own wheels (made by me) delivered next week. 1400 grams ( ideal for hill climbing). can't wait to put them together.

Isn't cycling notoriously bad for bad backs? I'd give this a miss until your back's fixed if I were you.

Yep, it is. I did my back in hitting a pothole, flying down a hill at about 40mph. Possibly lucky not to come off, but my back seemed to take all of the impact and it's not been right since.

• 5 months later...

Done a canny bit lately, belta route for any enthusiasts, lush on a nice day. Newcastle-Wylam-Ovingham-Stocksfield-Hindley-Ebchester-Blaydon-Toon. Probably 45 miles. Some amazing country pubs on the way you don't even realise that are there. The Consett-Blaydon cycle path is the best I've ever been on, absolutely beautiful. Nearly all down hill coming back, tree lined, probs about 12 miles. Absolutely glorious. Even a bookies en route in Rowlands Gill if you fancy a bet coming back.

• 1 month later...

Did Newburn-Howdon-Jarrow-Sunderland-Chester Le Street-Consett-Hexham train home the other day. Absolutely fucked me, but it's so good, so much lush scenery, country pubs etc.... The bit from CLS to Consett, is a fucking right killer though, up hill literally for over 10 mile.

Did Newburn-Howdon-Jarrow-Sunderland-Chester Le Street-Consett-Hexham train home the other day. Absolutely fucked me, but it's so good, so much lush scenery, country pubs etc.... The bit from CLS to Consett, is a fucking right killer though, up hill literally for over 10 mile.

How long of a cycle is that?