The Cycling Thread

Geordieracer

Did Newburn-Howdon-Jarrow-Sunderland-Chester Le Street-Consett-Hexham train home the other day. Absolutely fucked me, but it's so good, so much lush scenery, country pubs etc.... The bit from CLS to Consett, is a fucking right killer though, up hill literally for over 10 mile.

Aye it is like, I cycled home from Sunderland and the bit from CLS up past Beamish etc is a killer.

64 miles. Was too fucked to do the last 15. Took 6 hours.

Christ, fair play to you. Cycling in the sun is a thing of beauty-you just get in a zone and keep motoring along.

Aye it is like, I cycled home from Sunderland and the bit from CLS up past Beamish etc is a killer.

Aye you climb at least 1000 feet which doesn't sound much but it is. I have to say mind Stanley is a very backward place, you can actually see the SOL clearly from there even though its about 15 miles away. Consett much better imo and you seem to see less Sunderland tops.

Christ, fair play to you. Cycling in the sun is a thing of beauty-you just get in a zone and keep motoring along.

Its mint, I find it hard passing country pubs though in the heat.

Its mint, I find it hard passing country pubs though in the heat.

Ha! I'd say that could get treacherous on narrow country roads with a few pints added to the dehydration.

1 week and counting since I last forgot to unclip from my pedals. LOOK AT ME DAD, I'M DOING IT

Being based in surrey, i have the surrey hills to contend with, and thats probably one of the primary reasons as to why i haven't been on here much. its addictive getting up hills in a quicker time than you did before ( in most instances). the only trouble is around london there are literally thousands and thousands of people that are new to it and all going to what they beleive is the mecca of hills. Box hill... its not even that steep or anything! can't understand the fuss, but looking at the folks trying it it seems they all like pushing themselves and getting up it (as there is a nice cafe up top!). there are so many nice hilly areas down here but i do need to come up to newcastle sometime soon to look at doing some routes in Durham... any reccomendations.

i've virtually given up playing football as the knees and ankles are a little creaky and this gives me a better form of exercise.

Being based in surrey, i have the surrey hills to contend with, and thats probably one of the primary reasons as to why i haven't been on here much. its addictive getting up hills in a quicker time than you did before ( in most instances). the only trouble is around london there are literally thousands and thousands of people that are new to it and all going to what they beleive is the mecca of hills. Box hill... its not even that steep or anything! can't understand the fuss, but looking at the folks trying it it seems they all like pushing themselves and getting up it (as there is a nice cafe up top!). there are so many nice hilly areas down here but i do need to come up to newcastle sometime soon to look at doing some routes in Durham... any reccomendations.

i've virtually given up playing football as the knees and ankles are a little creaky and this gives me a better form of exercise.

You don't have to go to Durham. I'm biased but I love Newcastle to Hexham, it's pretty flat but it's beautiful at the same time. https://twitter.com/leazeslad/status/354312298820669441/photo/1 views like this all the way.

Also the Swalwell to Consett one is a belta.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Was going down a hill at speed on Tuesday, hit a bump and blew my back tyre. Tried to slow down and get off the road and have a look but bike was having none of it, and I ploughed into the tarmac head first. Must have looked pretty bad as a woman stopped and offered to wait with me for ambulance, but the only damage was a broken tooth, which amazingly my dentist fixed that morning (despite me not going for four years!) for just under fifty quid.

Careful out there guys!

Oof sounds bad. I love getting out on my bike but when you're blaring along down a hill or something, there's less exhilaration and more a thought of "if I come off here, I'm gonna be eating through a tube and communicating through blinks for the rest of my life". :lol: Must be getting old.

Yeah, working in a major trauma centre I see some nasty shit that's happened to cyclists. Mostly as a result of being walloped by cars, so if you don't put yourself at risk I think you're fairly safe. Of course, there was no car involved with me though.

It's a common sight in London, the number of crazy cyclists on the roads. Just the other day I saw a guy out cold on the road, bike written off and ambulance backing up traffic,

I'm pretty much the only non cyclist I know but fuck changing that. Even if you ride defensive around here it looks dangerous to me, the number of impatient nutters on the road

Aye, I would never cycle in London like, drivers and cyclists here all seem to be mildly unhinged. The big roundabout/junction near us had a fatal incident involving a cyclist a few months back. Two days later I saw a guy without a helmet ride straight across a speedy flow of cars into a one-way street (the wrong way, obviously), right next to the massed floral tributes to the dead guy. Clearly not the brightest of sparks. :stars:

Oof sounds bad. I love getting out on my bike but when you're blaring along down a hill or something, there's less exhilaration and more a thought of "if I come off here, I'm gonna be eating through a tube and communicating through blinks for the rest of my life". :lol: Must be getting old.

Times that by ten when you are doing 80mph down a motorway. The sensation speed is unreal compared to being in a car

• 2 months later...

Time to do my CT impression.

Can anyone recommend me some waterproofs?

I'm not racing or owt, just the 3 mile daily commute to and from work, but don't want to waste money on owt shite...

Was gonna go for this to protect my laptop....

http://www.amazon.co.uk/More-Mile-Waterproof-Backpack-Rucksack/dp/B008LUUJXE

but reviews say not waterproof. This one reckons it is waterproof but complaints that it's pricey in the reviews, it is over twice the cost..

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000NOPW2Y/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_dp_ss_2?pf_rd_p=103612307&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B00GTYHCMK&pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_r=0Y6SXBQ7AVM2S7V0G6ZK

Happy to pay the extra, but wonder if any of the folk on here can steer me in the best direction.

Like the look of these gloves, but again, doesn't sound like they're actually waterproof or wind resistant.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-North-Face-Mens-Glove/dp/B00AAV0OU0

Which cycling gloves should I get?

...and I don't want any skin tight lycra shit to wear as if i'm on the way to the velodrome, I just want some lightweight good quality waterproofs in the form of a jacket and trousers to go over normal clothes. What should I go for there?

Cheers

You could do a lot worse than just heading to a cycle shop and asking questions. I'm doing the cycle to work thing this year (with Evans Cycles) and was in the other day talking to the bloke and he was really helpful. If you're wanting to get an idea but then buy the stuff online cheaper, just tell them you're doing cycle to work but waiting for the voucher to come through, and they'll talk to you all day.

You could do a lot worse than just heading to a cycle shop and asking questions. I'm doing the cycle to work thing this year (with Evans Cycles) and was in the other day talking to the bloke and he was really helpful. If you're wanting to get an idea but then buy the stuff online cheaper, just tell them you're doing cycle to work but waiting for the voucher to come through, and they'll talk to you all day.

Champion. Only Bike shop I knew was Halfords and i didn't want to pay their prices for shite. I'll pop along the metrocentre and do that :thumbsup: