What mood are you in and why?

catmag

Aye, I'd say so too. And if they're giving you the same notice clause then they can hardly argue the toss if you choose to exercise it. I suppose the only thought is if there's a possibility you'd be applying for something else with them in future.

Hope you get the opportunity to make yourself very unpopular!

Me too. Cheers

Aye, I'd say so too. And if they're giving you the same notice clause then they can hardly argue the toss if you choose to exercise it. I suppose the only thought is if there's a possibility you'd be applying for something else with them in future.

I think it's very unlikely TBH. It's whether they have the contacts and venom to muddy my name more widely within the industry.

It may be worth saying to the other company that you have another offer but would prefer to work for them. I suppose it depends on how many candidates they have for interview but they may be able to pull yours forward so you'll know the outcome before you start in the new place.

It may be worth saying to the other company that you have another offer but would prefer to work for them. I suppose it depends on how many candidates they have for interview but they may be able to pull yours forward so you'll know the outcome before you start in the new place.

They know that I have another offer and that my notice is in and they've moved very quickly to get me in twice. That's one of the reasons I feel pretty confident of getting an offer from them.

Fuming....Sat at side of the road in east Devon with a puncture....just had a "heated debate" with some clown from greenflag who wants me to be picked up and driven half an hour in the opposite direction,have the puncture fixed and then drive back here, when my insurers direct line had already told me I can be recovered tonight back home, then get picked up tomorrow by another truck from home and get taken to a garage of my choice. This is far more convenient as I am en route to my American sister in laws for thanksgiving,Turkey,pumpkin,pecan etc etc... Cheeky tosser, I had to put it in quite plain terms in the end... ;)

It'll undoubtedly makes me a cathword in the eyes of the employer. But:

Job 1 - 90 minute commute, no bens, small company, no real ability to progress

Job 2 - 30 minute commute, loads of perks, massive company, all sorts of progression opportunities

It's not even close.

It may be that I'll get an answer from the better job this week and just never join the other company. I haven't signed a contract yet and it states that during the probationary period either party can give a week's notice.

Over the moon.... Got the new role.. Today's my leaving drinks so a night on the celebratory sauce awaits.

Congratulations!

Stuck in something of a transit career wise me. My 'training contract' of sorts just ended, I have the option to stay on at the firm. But although the firm is well reputed they're prepared to pay peanuts at the moment only and I dont want to build a long term career there anyway. Problem is outside jobs are hard to come by these days. Only option seems to stay on until a decent opportunity comes along. Then there's this qualification Im pursuing which is proving to be an absolute pain in the arse to manage along with work. I can see myself stuck in this situation for another 1.5-2 years which is driving me nuts. :yucky:

Congratulations!

Stuck in something of a transit career wise me. My 'training contract' of sorts just ended, I have the option to stay on at the firm. But although the firm is well reputed they're prepared to pay peanuts at the moment only and I dont want to build a long term career there anyway. Problem is outside jobs are hard to come by these days. Only option seems to stay on until a decent opportunity comes along. Then there's this qualification Im pursuing which is proving to be an absolute pain in the arse to manage along with work. I can see myself stuck in this situation for another 1.5-2 years which is driving me nuts. :yucky:

Get your head into long term not short term.

Qualifications first then money will no doubt follow.

my kid bro is onto his third degree... it depends what the qualifications are in and his line of work whether they'll be worth while like.

Agreed, and without knowing all the details, if he's also in with a decent firm it may be a good bet to sit tight and do the qualifications first.

Money shouldn't be the main driver when you're on the first ring of the ladder.

Agreed, and without knowing all the details, if he's also in with a decent firm it may be a good bet to sit tight and do the qualifications first.

Money shouldn't be the main driver when you're on the first ring of the ladder.

I agree, however there just seems to be one period after another where you've got to sit tight and suck it up doesnt it? Seems never ending. I suppose thats just the way things are. Money is a factor of course but not an overriding one. Im lazy, I dont want to be the CEO of anything, just a bearable job thats pays the bills. Its the 'in transit' part I've been stuck in for years thats just getting to me.

Are you talking about accountancy here?

Yup

Nice one, congratulations. Have you told the other lot you won't be seeing them on Monday, or you gonna have to start and hand your notice in soon after?

Nah, thankfully it was through a recruiter so I just told them i'm not gonna be there monday. i sent the chief exec a courtesy email, but he's not responded.

Now got a week off before I start in new role.

Fuming....Sat at side of the road in east Devon with a puncture....just had a "heated debate" with some clown from greenflag who wants me to be picked up and driven half an hour in the opposite direction,have the puncture fixed and then drive back here, when my insurers direct line had already told me I can be recovered tonight back home, then get picked up tomorrow by another truck from home and get taken to a garage of my choice. This is far more convenient as I am en route to my American sister in laws for thanksgiving,Turkey,pumpkin,pecan etc etc... Cheeky tosser, I had to put it in quite plain terms in the end... ;)

How was the Thanksgiving, then? :D

Seeing the word 'Thanksgiving' has given me a bit of a laugh though. I work for a company that is truly 'global' and which has an intranet type thing which you see when you're entering in process results. I sometimes have a look as the posts on it are unintentionally funny, especially the foreign ones, (ok, mainly the American ones :lol:). There was a thread that simply said 'Thanksgiving' so I had a gander at it. The OP basically said happy thanksgiving, what are you grateful for? Some sadsacks said they were grateful to work for such a great company :sick:, some said their families/loved ones etc, but there was a few that were proper 'God bless America' types who were thankful for the 'freedom' of their country, thankful for their constitution, forefathers etc, you get the drift. A couple of people posted questioning their constitution mainly the guns bit and fuck me, how touchy did the 'God bless America' types get! :lol: I basically learned through the GBA types that America had guns and it was a good job they did as the rest of the World came crying to America for help all the time as nobody is strong enough to fight for their own country other than the Americans. They seem to be the only country that has freedoms in their lands as well other various stuff I can't be arsed to write. Truly funny reading their craic but also slightly worrying that people who are generally pleasant, polite and a canny bunch can be so brainwashed and one-eyed when it comes to anything that might be a slight criticism of their country, (as well as their* wholly ignorant views of the World).

*The God bless America types.