What mood are you in and why?

catmag

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

A bit fucked up tbh.
I got an email from the Parole Board today informing me ( very sympathetically, it must be said), that my brother’s murderer is eligible for release in a year. 

That doesn’t mean he’ll be strolling out carefree a year from now, but he can apply and must be heard.)

I think most of you would be very surprised to find out how little we, as the family of his victim, are entitled to know about his spell in Her Majesty’s holiday camp- I can’t even know where the fucker has spent his time. 

( I realise why I can’t be told that, obvs, but it’s fucking infuriating). 

I’ve been told I can submit a Victim Statement to be read at any Parole hearings prior to his release, where requests from us will be considered- clearly, “ Keep the cunt locked up” won’t get very far, so I’m thinking of conditions we can request to his License. 
( A lifer’s license means that whatever conditions are stipulated for his release, any breach will see him back inside). 
First and foremost, I don’t want the fucker anywhere near my mother, and then, I’d like the chance of me and my brother running in to him on a night out to be virtually zero, more for his benefit than anything else. 
I’m therefore going to request that he isn’t allowed within 20 miles of Newcastle city centre, which will mostly cover that. 
I have no idea, as yet, how likely this is to fruitful. 

My second request is going to be slightly more difficult, I think- I want to know if he’s ever expressed remorse. 
By that, I don’t mean self-pity at the result of his actions on his life, I mean whether he understands the massive affect his decisions made to my family? 
I haven’t yet replied to the email, because I want my reply to be balanced and well considered, which this post  clearly isn’t 😄 )

but I also want information that I suspect they aren’t allowed to give me, as laid out above-

has he been a “good” prisoner,

where will he be living etc- whilst I understand privacy rights etc, I hope that they can answer at least some of my questions 

However, I think the person tasked with communicating with “the family”, via me, is possibly dropping hints- she made a point of stressing that he’s “still” a Category B prisoner. 
Some basic Google-Fu tells me that most lifers are downgraded to C or even D in the year or two leading up to their release. 
I’m not particularly au fait with the whole shebang, but I’m getting the impression he hasn’t been a model inmate.

My best guess ( and it is a guess), is that he hasn’t, still, accepted his guilt- he, initially, tried to say that he’d acted in self defence ( after going to my brothers house, armed with a cleaver and 10inch chef knife, and all of my brother’s major injuries being indicative of an attack from behind), and he only eventually plead guilty after some bullshit negotiations, and being told he was going away for a very long time otherwise. 

Sorry- I’m ranting a bit here, I just want to make sure this cunt never impacts on our lives again, even in the most minuscule way. 

Otherwise I’ll fucking kill him 😉

• Like 7

Not ranting at all there MF, I've always been massively impressed how you've handled this. I've no advice or knowledge of this type of thing, nobody I know has been the victim of serious crime. I did think lifers actually had to show genuine remorse to be released though? Hopefully the cunt will fail the parole board and stay locked up forever or til he's geriatric.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Guessing all of that is news to most of us on here? First of all, sorry you lost a brother especially this way, secondly, I can imagine it's the last thing you'd want your mam having to go through at her age. Just try to be as clear as possible how much he impacted your lives and how he shouldn't be let out without considerable time and proven remorse and stress how much he needs to be out of everyone's way. There's not much else you can say but obviously you're going to have to take it all in first and have as cool a head as you can. He sounds a shiting it, coward who obviously thought taking a life was better than getting a hiding. Scum basically. Good luck, MF. :good:

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Cheers gents. 

As you say HMHM, the biggest thing ( other than just letting him fucking rot, which isn’t happening), is ensuring that my mother, who’s now on her 80s, doesn’t even need to think about the possibility of ever bumping in to her son’s murderer on the street. 
I think they’ll be on the same page on that score. 
A secondary concern is that, if he isn’t kept away from Newcastle, as opposed to just our little bit of it, then there’s a chance me or my older brother could bump in to him, even after my Mam has gone. 
God help him if that happens, and he wants to hope it’s me he meets and not my brother, as I won’t  actually  kill him … much. 😉

I think also, when it happened, and for a good while afterwards, it was pretty fucking raw- didn’t take much to remind us of it and set us away on a bit of a downer… that becomes less of a likelihood over time, and eventually the loss becomes manageable, but this has hit me like a sledgehammer, and brought everything back with the original rawness of when it first happened. 

Ultimately, I know that there’s not a lot I can do to stop him getting out, and, on a point of principle, if he’s truly rehabilitated, then I wouldn’t want to stop it. 

I just haven’t been given the info I want to justify it to myself… yet. 

( As you can probably tell, I’m swinging from lefty forgiveness to pure hatred, and it’s doing me in a bit.
I know that, given the info I want, I’ll probably be a good little lefty, but I fear that getting to that point will be a ballache of the highest order.). 

• Like 3

Bye the way lads, I know you’re all decent blokes, and I know this is an extremely awkward subject. 
So, don’t worry yourselves about replying or anything, I’m purely using this as an opportunity to vent shit that I want to say, and writing it out actually helps me quantify exactly what it is I want to say to Mrs. Parole. 

Having said that, Tits would help 

here’s the link- large, Latin and lovely thanks 

:lol:

• Haha 3

I don’t know much about the parole system or how much weight is given to victim’s family statement on whether he’s released but it should definitely influence the restrictions imposed on him such as where he can live/visit.

How long has he served? Most murderers do about 16 years so if it’s less than that then the odds may be against him getting out.

Given that you obviously haven’t received any statement of remorse from him will probably go against him as well.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Bye the way lads, I know you’re all decent blokes, and I know this is an extremely awkward subject. 
So, don’t worry yourselves about replying or anything, I’m purely using this as an opportunity to vent shit that I want to say, and writing it out actually helps me quantify exactly what it is I want to say to Mrs. Parole. 

Having said that, Tits would help 

here’s the link- large, Latin and lovely thanks 

:lol:

Didn't even see that picture when I put mine up! :lol:

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, ewerk said:

I don’t know much about the parole system or how much weight is given to victim’s family statement on whether he’s released but it should definitely influence the restrictions imposed on him such as where he can live/visit.

How long has he served? Most murderers do about 16 years so if it’s less than that then the odds may be against him getting out.

Given that you obviously haven’t received any statement of remorse from him will probably go against him as well.

The email stated that he’ll have reached his “tariff” in Oct 2022. 
He was given life with a minimum of 15yrs- his tariff. 
He killed my brother on sept 26th 2007, but wasn’t sentenced until May 2008, and I’d always thought his time was from the day of sentence- they’ve clearly measured it from day of offence.  
I’ll be questioning that. 

As you say, I think we can put reasonable requests on his license conditions, I already know what I’ll be asking for- what I want to quiz Mrs. Parole on is his continued Cat B status. 
 Everything I can find online indicates that a well-behaved, rehabbed lifer will be downgraded to C as a minimum at least a year or two before release, so I want to know why he’s still Cat B. 
This explains the differences between the different categories and if he’s still B after 14 years, then I have concerns. 

Ultimately, as I understand it, that means he’ll not be getting out in a year’s time, which is fine by me. 

I need to call Mrs. Parole tomorrow and clarify some shit. 

It’s just shit I could really do without, but I don’t really have a choice. 

Also, thanks @Howmanheyman for those lovely Latin jubblies. 

Really helped :lol:

• Like 1

Bloody hell mate, I had no idea. How absolutely awful for you and your family. I’m so sorry. I can’t offer much in the way of advice so enjoy this Latin rear view. Onwards and upwards 

image.jpeg.562929697c032cc6a04ffb183819e63f.jpeg

• Haha 1

Fucking hell mate, sorry to hear all of that.

Honestly, it's seriously bummed me out on a Thursday morning... Supposed to be off on holiday tomorrow, but I'm not sure I want to anymore. 

• Like 1

I had no idea about this. Sounds absolutely awful. I've always wondered what it must be like to be the family member in something like this and find out that the guilty party is about to potentially be allowed to rejoin society. 

Anyway, I hope you're OK, and that you get the right result here. 

Dave, I hope you summon the strength to still go on holiday. :razz:

• Haha 4

• 3 weeks later...