What mood are you in and why?

catmag

23 hours ago, Renton said:

Fair point about the present and our interactions with each other. Of course you're not nothing to you, your loved ones, and further afield. But ultimately in the grand scheme of the Universe, you're inconsequential, and that's what we're talking about when we look at the stars or even more so galaxies like Andromeda PL mentioned. The Universe isn't just immense in spatial scale either - possibly even infinite - but also in terms of time. The concept of deep time is completely mindblowing when you study it. Even the age of stars is a fleeting moment in the history of the Universe. 

Anyway, as an atheist you have to come to terms with what death means honestly and truthfully, and that obviously becomes more pressing the older you get. Part of my coming to terms with mortality is just to accept my place in the scheme of things and not fear it. Somehow the night sky just helps in this, not sure why, just helps me  somehow. We've all got our own coping mechanisms I guess, sentience is a double edged sword. 

yup. Accepting our own mortality is pretty much the human condition in a nutshell. It’s why so many people turn to the sky fairies. 

Last night I went to help out at a homeless shelter I've been to a few times. It was a great laugh and show you that even when people have absolutely fuck all you still can have so much in common with them. 

My aim is to go at least once a month from now on. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 4

38 minutes ago, wykikitoon said:

Last night I went to help out at a homeless shelter I've been to a few times. It was a great laugh

You callous bastard.

What are you doing for New Years? Off to the hospital to chuckle at the kids with cancer?

Edited by ewerk
  • Haha 6

'Well last night my spot was barried off so I had to kip down on me cardboard in a  strange place which was a bit worrying as well as not being under cover.....'

Wykiki: "You were lucky....

four-yorkshiremen-luxury-gif-2.gif.3cf4fc12dbd4ed261350e37d68327714.gif

• Haha 4

On 23/12/2022 at 20:58, Alex said:

I feel really lucky living where I live. Out the back of mine there’s relatively little light pollution. I love just looking at the night sky. Also I have what you might call rural walks, more or less on my doorstep too. I see roe deer over my back fence (and loads of other wildlife) almost every day. All less than 10 mins walk from a metro that’s a short journey to the coast and the centre of town. I doubt the view out the back is permanently going to stay all fields but it was almost certainly just what the doctor ordered these last few years from my pov. 

Where we are, there's loads of farmland and moorland nearby. We go off to all the National Trust places that are on our doorstep with their deer and rabbits and all that.

I've seen Mars with the naked eye quite a lot lately, prompted me to use one of those AR night sky apps to spend a little time peering up into the abyss. Replaced watching waves as my little slice of zen.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, The Fish said:

I've seen Mars with the naked eye quite a lot lately, prompted me to use one of those AR night sky apps to spend a little time peering up into the abyss. Replaced watching waves as my little slice of zen.

9FF4B966-4E7A-4A39-A22D-980CC71DFFF2.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 10

• 1 month later...

Getting a bit dusty chez Fist. :lol:

Took my my 12yr old laddie to the climbing wall today, he’s been cruising at 5b+ and managed a few wobbly 5c.   

On the way in today he said he was going for it, got there and his first route was a 6a, then another, then 6a+, another 6a then he finished with a 6b. 

Best part of it was he didn’t just scrape his way up them- he absolutely fucking styled his way up. 

I’m so proud of the little twat. 

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Getting a bit dusty chez Fist. :lol:

Took my my 12yr old laddie to the climbing wall today, he’s been cruising at 5b+ and managed a few wobbly 5c.   

On the way in today he said he was going for it, got there and his first route was a 6a, then another, then 6a+, another 6a then he finished with a 6b. 

Best part of it was he didn’t just scrape his up them- he absolutely fucking styled his way up. 

I’m so proud of the little twat. 

No idea what all the numbers mean, but sounds good 👍

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Renton said:

Good stuff MF. Wish we'd had climbing walls when I was a kid.

Pretty pissed off mood following the match. 

We did :lol:

They were just less numerous and very cliquish- you might even say too perpetual. 

Then, you needed to already be a climber to use them, now, they hire out all the gear, have in-situ ropes, and you can have one-to-one tutoring if you want. 

Just now, Monkeys Fist said:

We did :lol:

They were just less numerous and very cliquish- you might even say too perpetual. 

Then, you needed to already be a climber to use them, now, they hire out all the gear, have in-situ ropes, and you can have one-to-one tutoring if you want. 

I meant stuff like clip and climb, just to get the bug. I was 40 by the time I had climbing lessons which is just too old! Didnt help it coincided with an ear infection where I lost my balance for a year. Still got a couple of climbing shoes barely used CT style I need to sell! 

2 minutes ago, Renton said:

Still got a couple of climbing shoes barely used CT style I need to sell! 

Get back on it man- Byker has an embarrassment of walls- three at the last count. 

You don’t need to be soloing El Cap, just get along and have a laugh.

I even dragged my creaky arthritic old bones up a few routes of late. 

Oh I'm flogging the shoes. For anybody who doesn't know, climbing shoes are designed to be insanely tight and no way will I ever get these on again, as I've got a gouty tophi protruding from my little toe. 

Story behind this, it appeared just before lockdown, I ignored it at first thinking it was bursitis, but it never went. Then a self diagnosed it as a tophi despite the fact I've never had classical gout. Several Xrays, a blood test, and an MRI later the docs agreed its not cancer but probably a gouty tophi. I'm now on allopurinol and it's shrinking but will take years to shift apparently.

Anyway, getting old is shit and I'll never climb now. Think I would have been pretty good up until about my 30s though as had a decent build and always enjoyed the odd bit of scrambling. Would have loved to joined MF on his Alpine climbing bang mobile but alas I never had the courage for such an unconventional life. :( And where the fuck did toeing the line get me? Fucking hell. 😆

• Haha 3

I'm in a crippled mood!

Carried 2 pinballs downstairs yesterday as the bairn announced she wanted the spare bedroom as her playroom. Woke up with my back in bits this morning. She then asked if we could paint the walls 4 different colours "like a rainbow".

Backs doubly in bits now and the wife isn't happy she's lost her conservatory (that she hasn't sat in since we moved in :lol: )

740F37D4-6499-4291-BE55-F2C0265B89E5.thumb.jpeg.c78e8240601ad29976c6aad9a89ad76b.jpeg

B63F9424-874A-492A-BAC7-5D1A24FFE87B.thumb.jpeg.00f59615cb616791c854bda08ead13b7.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Cattled.

i was already feeling rough after a late night in town after the match yesterday. 

The train journey back to the smoke today took about 7 hours to thanks to engineering works and our train developing a fault, forcing us to change in Doncaster.

It was the journey that kept on giving.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

Cattled.

i was already feeling rough after a late night in town after the match yesterday. 

The train journey back to the smoke today took about 7 hours to thanks to engineering works and our train developing a fault, forcing us to change in Doncaster.

It was the journey that kept on giving.

Sympathy like. Fucking transport in this country man, especially outside of the SE. A shirt time ago, an intercity train ride was a pleasure. Now it's a fucking nightmare and you're rinsed in the process. Really makes you think twice about leisure activities like football. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Kid Dynamite said:

I'm in a crippled mood!

Carried 2 pinballs downstairs yesterday as the bairn announced she wanted the spare bedroom as her playroom. Woke up with my back in bits this morning. She then asked if we could paint the walls 4 different colours "like a rainbow".

Backs doubly in bits now and the wife isn't happy she's lost her conservatory (that she hasn't sat in since we moved in :lol: )

740F37D4-6499-4291-BE55-F2C0265B89E5.thumb.jpeg.c78e8240601ad29976c6aad9a89ad76b.jpeg

B63F9424-874A-492A-BAC7-5D1A24FFE87B.thumb.jpeg.00f59615cb616791c854bda08ead13b7.jpeg

Similar boat man. So much furniture, so many stairs. Legs are completely gone now and not from the drink for once. Noticed a massive bruise on my foot this morning and was initially a bit concerned I couldn't feel it yet, then realised it was actually pretty sore after but basically nothing compared to the rest of my body. 

Also a bit disappointed, was really looking forward to having a boozer right across the road but I popped in for a quick half and within minutes had caught the attention of a few headcases that remembered me from school 20 odd years ago. I've always been quite partial to dodgy boozers for the sheer entertainment value but the reality of being a known face in one when I live literally directly across the road with a young family has me thinking I'll need to wait until my legs have recovered and make the more civilised establishment 100yards further up the road my "local". 

Edited by Blastronaut