What mood are you in and why?

catmag

4 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

a mate of mine who went through dark times during the pandemic adopted that famous churchill quote as his daily mantra: when you're going through hell, keep going. 

there were times he said when he felt he'd hit the bottom and wanted to stop, but he kept getting out of bed every day, kept meeting his therapist - just kept going even though he felt like stopping. it wasn't easy (he also swears by finding the right medication, which took a while), but he's like a new man today.

i hope you can find a way to keep going too craig. i find exercise keeps me balanced. i'm a big believer in its mental health benefits. admittedly i'm not going through the same things as you and it sounds like it's something you're trying too if you're training for the GNR - good luck with that. i sincerely believe that throwing yourself into a physical training programme is brilliant for all-round wellbeing. 

Yes and no. Fully agree exercise is important for both physical and mental wellbeing, but it won't help fix the underlying issues and could even mask them in the worst case scenario, much like alcohol can (although in a much more healthy way, obviously, and I'm not saying there are significant downsides to exercise). So yeah, an adjunctive to professional help but not a replacement. Getting access to help is the big hurdle in this shit hole of a country though. My lithuanian colleague needed some medical treatment and went back home for it. Their health service, part of the soviet bloc three decades ago, is better than ours. Anyway, apologies for digressing! 

• Like 4

All the very best to you, Craig. Try to be kind to yourself as much as you can - it's a hell of a thing for you to have gone through (and still be going through), and something even the strongest person would struggle with. Hope you get the support you need in the here and now so you can start building the foundations for your next steps. We'll be here to listen and/or be unfunny dickheads as usual, whatever you need. :good: 

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Renton said:

Yes and no. Fully agree exercise is important for both physical and mental wellbeing, but it won't help fix the underlying issues and could even mask them in the worst case scenario, much like alcohol can (although in a much more healthy way, obviously, and I'm not saying there are significant downsides to exercise). So yeah, an adjunctive to professional help but not a replacement. Getting access to help is the big hurdle in this shit hole of a country though. My lithuanian colleague needed some medical treatment and went back home for it. Their health service, part of the soviet bloc three decades ago, is better than ours. Anyway, apologies for digressing! 

of course, i wasn't suggesting for a moment that exercise alone will cure everything but it's a good thing to use as part of the mix. the friend i mentioned managed to navigate his breakdown through a mix of therapy and pills.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Renton said:

peek up occasionally and try to see the bigger picture, and focus on the positive things in your life. 

Really well put Renton. My own mental health had a bit of a wobble a few weeks ago and I let spiral and was getting increasingly more tunnel-visioned by the minute.

@Craig massive kudos to you for confronting this and tackling it head-on. I won't even try to pretend to understand what you're going through, but please know your not alone. There's no shame in admitting you're not okay and given the steps you've already taken you are a far better man than most.

• Like 4

23 hours ago, Craig said:

Thank you all.

And this is a timely opportunity to let you know I'm coming home later this year. I'm taking part in the GNR and will be descending on the region with people from down South who are also taking part. As a result I'll be hitting the town on Friday 8th September so if you're around, and available, it'd be good to see you - especially those who I met up with some 16/17 years ago.

I'd love to meet up with a few of you but that's the day I turn 50 so I'm hoping I'll be somewhere else a bit warmer. :D

• Haha 1

12 hours ago, Blastronaut said:

Hoovering about the house with slippers and your lass putting the heating on?

FYP 

Aye, probably. :huh:

Edited by Howmanheyman
  • Haha 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well my families recent trouble show no end.

Some of you will remember I have a severely disabled brother after he had a brain haemorrhage 11 years ago aged 30. I then had cancer twice, lost my grandad, my dad got cancer and died. My nana is currently end of life care for heart failure and today my mam has been diagnosed with cancer.

Could say my head is in the shed and has been for a while.

• Sad 5

10 minutes ago, strawb said:

Well my families recent trouble show no end.

Some of you will remember I have a severely disabled brother after he had a brain haemorrhage 11 years ago aged 30. I then had cancer twice, lost my grandad, my dad got cancer and died. My nana is currently end of life care for heart failure and today my mam has been diagnosed with cancer.

Could say my head is in the shed and has been for a while.

That’s awful news, mate. Really sorry to hear that. Best of luck to your mam 

Aye really sorry to hear about your troubles Strawb. Hope the prognosis for your mam is a positive one. It's an awful lot to deal with so don't try and do it by yourself, even if that just means saying something on here.

• Like 1

Really sorry to hear that mate. My mum's having scans for suspected cancer too as it happens, found out this morning. Hopefully she'll be okay but there just seems some inevitabibility in her decline if you get me, after losing her daughter and husband. You've been through some horrible health problems recently both personally and with your family. Not a lot I can say, focus on your own mental health the best you can. Don't over estimate your reslience like I did and reach out if you can.  I have my fingers crossed for you.  

• Like 2

I'm sorry to hear about that, Strawb. I hope it can be sorted for your mam, my mam managed to get through something similar a few years ago and it was a bit of a jolt to the system imagining the worst. Fingers crossed for you. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Definitely on the uppers. 

Resigned from Sainsburys today, which was a Fava beans and Nice Chianti moment*

Kids look like they’re decent people, and have a ridiculously healthy level of sarcasm- job done :lol:

New neighbours are lovely people- the previous lot were sound, I was sceptical that the new ‘uns would measure up. 
Blown them away, tbh. 

All told, compared to a while back when I was in a very dark place, it’s all smelling of roses. 

Happy Days! :lol:

* I’ve got better graft lined up, which, tbh, wouldn’t be hard. 

• Like 10

23 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

Definitely on the uppers. 

Resigned from Sainsburys today, which was a Fava beans and Nice Chianti moment*

Kids look like they’re decent people, and have a ridiculously healthy level of sarcasm- job done :lol:

New neighbours are lovely people- the previous lot were sound, I was sceptical that the new ‘uns would measure up. 
Blown them away, tbh. 

All told, compared to a while back when I was in a very dark place, it’s all smelling of roses. 

Happy Days! :lol:

* I’ve got better graft lined up, which, tbh, wouldn’t be hard. 

Game Of Thrones Drinking GIF by Sky

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

great-okay.gif

Things continue to improve chez Fist, young Miss Fist got some great results in her GCSEs yesterday and, having gone out with mates to celebrate, came back only mildly mashed having dipped out when things got messy- ( fuck knows where she got that from!). 

I’ve been working for an agency since leaving Sainsburys, but today I was offered a full time job at Ramages-

fast-show-which-was-nice.gif

Apparently I’ve impressed them with my kill rate, varied age range of victims, and use of multiple termination methods.

It’s shite pay tbh, but guaranteed 55hrs whether you work them or not, and it’s pretty relaxed, so I’ll use it to pick up experience and then fuck off somewhere with a better pay rate asap. 
All in alll…

marvellous-ron-manager.gif

• Like 5
  • Haha 5