What mood are you in and why?

catmag

Thoughts with you and yours Stevie, that's shit.

My Dad's best mate has cancer that affected his spine somehow, and he put off seeing anyone until it was too late and now all they can do for him is "manage it". He's in pain all the time and even getting in and out of bed is such an effort. Not the worst of it though, he'll be round the pub with my Dad and his back will give him gip and my Dad will rub the tiny scar above his eye and declare "aye, my cancer's giving me problems as well!" as if the miniscule mole he had cut out (he was in and out in 1 afternoon) counts as fucking Cancer :lol: Wonder where I get my attention seeking from.

Shite mood, me dads operation was full of complications. He'll be in hospital at least a month, was coming out the match last night heading to the pub, was told to come to the hospital, he was there shaking like a leaf white as a sheet, he has a chest infection on top of the bowel not working. Fucking terrible times :( On top of that the morphine was deein him nee good he was visualising people coming through the ceiling of the hospital, hearing noises, and said he was convinced he lived in a caravan with a group of Scottish people. I've got a season ticket for the RVI at the minute, they're confident he'll be alright, but it's just more complications, and putting a stress on everything else in me life. Nowt worse than when you're family are suffering wouldn't wish it on anyone. When I saw him last night at 430 I told him we beat Villa 2-1 and it just wasn't sinking in at all.

On top of that got fuck all money in for Feb, bosses being cunts etc.... I wish February would fuck off already.

'

I can empathise Stevie. As you may remember just after Christmas I had some personal shit to deal with. Anyway, just after New Year my Dad collapsed and was rushed to hospital. He had what's known as a 'triple A' basically it's got a mortaility rate of 90%, most people don't even make the hospital. Having some medical qualifications I knew this but had to stay strong (and lie) for the benefit of my Mum. Mind the surgeon was blunt and told us he had less than 50% chance of surviving the operation and then a 50% chance of devloping a life threatening complication. Waiting 12 hours in a waiting room was like being in some sick soap opera. All this just a few metres from my place of work.

But you've got to keep the faith. Against all the odds he survived (including subsequent pneumonia) and is now back at home looking the best he has done for years. I've still got a lot of shit to cope with but I'll tell you now I'll never take my Dad for granted again. It's been a real wake up call (not least because I most likely will have inherited the condition!). As Gemmill has said the staff were amazing too. Which is why I get so defensive in debates over the NHS, I guess. I'm sure your Dad will pull through like mine did and he will be the stronger for it. Fingers crossed for you.

Fuck me Renton!

Glad your old man made it, those twelve hours must've seemed like an eternity.

It's amazing how in situations like that , we can find the ability to remain strong and not just collapse in a heap.

You find things out about yourself and those you love which can alter your entire approach to life.

Hey Renton, glad to hear things worked out for your dad. Must have been fucking terrifying for all of you. On top of the other stuff that had just happened too ffs.

Hope the other stuff you've got going on works itself out too.

Jesus Renton, that's awful, glad he's ok now. I've literally no idea how I'd cope(if at all). I guess the insight you have would make it even worse.

Renton - I know only too well how few AAA's even make it out of theatre because we do many of them and they are probably the most intense operations that we do. SO, so glad to hear how well he's doing. Where did he have it done?

Stevie - one day at a time pet. Hopefully they've already changed the Morphine to something else for his pain and it might have improved him already. Keep your chin up and stay strong for him.

Shite mood, me dads operation was full of complications. He'll be in hospital at least a month, was coming out the match last night heading to the pub, was told to come to the hospital, he was there shaking like a leaf white as a sheet, he has a chest infection on top of the bowel not working. Fucking terrible times :( On top of that the morphine was deein him nee good he was visualising people coming through the ceiling of the hospital, hearing noises, and said he was convinced he lived in a caravan with a group of Scottish people. I've got a season ticket for the RVI at the minute, they're confident he'll be alright, but it's just more complications, and putting a stress on everything else in me life. Nowt worse than when you're family are suffering wouldn't wish it on anyone. When I saw him last night at 430 I told him we beat Villa 2-1 and it just wasn't sinking in at all.

On top of that got fuck all money in for Feb, bosses being cunts etc.... I wish February would fuck off already.

'

I can empathise Stevie. As you may remember just after Christmas I had some personal shit to deal with. Anyway, just after New Year my Dad collapsed and was rushed to hospital. He had what's known as a 'triple A' basically it's got a mortaility rate of 90%, most people don't even make the hospital. Having some medical qualifications I knew this but had to stay strong (and lie) for the benefit of my Mum. Mind the surgeon was blunt and told us he had less than 50% chance of surviving the operation and then a 50% chance of devloping a life threatening complication. Waiting 12 hours in a waiting room was like being in some sick soap opera. All this just a few metres from my place of work.

But you've got to keep the faith. Against all the odds he survived (including subsequent pneumonia) and is now back at home looking the best he has done for years. I've still got a lot of shit to cope with but I'll tell you now I'll never take my Dad for granted again. It's been a real wake up call (not least because I most likely will have inherited the condition!). As Gemmill has said the staff were amazing too. Which is why I get so defensive in debates over the NHS, I guess. I'm sure your Dad will pull through like mine did and he will be the stronger for it. Fingers crossed for you.

Thank you Renton, I know you don't respect me but I respect you, and I'm delighted that your dads pulled through. Most of us haven't got a clue about the details of each others private lives, but we're all human beings our emotions and feelings are stretched to the limit every day by the stress life can be at times.

I'm thrilled to bits about your dad and what a burden that must've been to keep from the whole family. Me dads situation while very very serious isn't at the level of your dads prognosis yet.

It's just heartbreaking seeing him dehabilitated, I go to show him I love him, but I walk out feeling depressed, I did tonight. He's sat there all day fuck all to do, wondering what's going to happen and last night when I went in after the match he was shaking violently, freezing freezing cold, I could see the fear in his eyes, was honestly one of the worst times of my life seeing him wondering what the fuck is going on, when I got there me aunty and me cousin she was in tears down the corridor so what a mental feeling I didn't know what to expect. However on the bright side, there's positive signs tonight, and the nurses said while it's not regular, none of the stuff that's happened is completely unusual.

Renton - I know only too well how few AAA's even make it out of theatre because we do many of them and they are probably the most intense operations that we do. SO, so glad to hear how well he's doing. Where did he have it done?

Stevie - one day at a time pet. Hopefully they've already changed the Morphine to something else for his pain and it might have improved him already. Keep your chin up and stay strong for him.

Thanks Cath (and others). He was taken to Rake lane at first, CTscanned when the rupture was confirmed, and transferred to the Freeman as an emergency. I was surprised they even operated tbh as by then his BP was barely in double figures. They advised me to kiss him goodbye as they wheeled him off. Emotional, to say the least.

Regarding how you cope; you cope because you have to. There's no other option. You support your family but in turn they support you. I couldn't have got through it without the support of my wife, brother, and friends. As I've said the staff are amazing too. The professionalismof the care in the CCU was amazing. I'm not remotely religious but even though I'd aslo thank the hospital chaplains for their support as well.

Sadly we nearly all of us will have to face days like I had to last month. When the time comes you'll be amazed at how strong and adaptive you are, purely out of neccessity if nothing else.

Aye they have, it's still a drip though. The head nurses are great, a lot of them a lot better looking than you would expect! The thing with the morphine is that he was proper hallucinating badly. Honestly if you've ever seen Trainspotting he's had nearly every bad hallucination Mark Renton had the first three days, thinking he lived in a caravan, thinking people are crawling through the ceiling, voices, it's funny when he tells it but he was frightened. Thanks a lot anyway pet. Here I tell you what though, £7 a day for the telly they could easily give them it for free.

'

Thank you Renton, I know you don't respect me but I respect you, and I'm delighted that your dads pulled through. Most of us haven't got a clue about the details of each others private lives, but we're all human beings our emotions and feelings are stretched to the limit every day by the stress life can be at times.

I'm thrilled to bits about your dad and what a burden that must've been to keep from the whole family. Me dads situation while very very serious isn't at the level of your dads prognosis yet.

It's just heartbreaking seeing him dehabilitated, I go to show him I love him, but I walk out feeling depressed, I did tonight. He's sat there all day fuck all to do, wondering what's going to happen and last night when I went in after the match he was shaking violently, freezing freezing cold, I could see the fear in his eyes, was honestly one of the worst times of my life seeing him wondering what the fuck is going on, when I got there me aunty and me cousin she was in tears down the corridor so what a mental feeling I didn't know what to expect. However on the bright side, there's positive signs tonight, and the nurses said while it's not regular, none of the stuff that's happened is completely unusual.

Stevie mate, I do respect you. We've had words in the past but it means fuck all at the end of the day; it's just a football message board. You're easily one of the best footy posters to and I make a beeline for your posts on that board.

I sincerely hope your Dad gets better. I understand your despair completely. It almost feels like you are the one that has to be strong now - be the adult - and that's not easy. I recall SLP lost his Dad a few years back and I'm so relieved I don't have to face that hurdle just yet; hope it's the same for you. None of us gets enough time on this planet.

Btw, being in hospital is miserable so don't be surprised if your Dad gets a bit depressed - it's quite normal.

Reading the posts from both of you tonight really does remind me that i should treat every one of my patients as if they were the dad/mam of one of my friends. It's something I try to be mindful of but may not always succeed. Renton's dad could so easily have been one of my patients and I might never have known.

That's real touching reading Renton & Stevie. My best wishes to both your dads. As you know my mum has had her recent health problems - mentioned it on here a few months ago that she was rushed off to hospital with a suspected heart attack. Really scary stuff and seems so surreal that it's your parent going off to A&E.

Turns out she had gallstones in the end and her level 9 cholesterol is now back down to an acceptable 5 after i've been taking charge of the cooking! You genuinely do appreciate the time you spend together after a scare.

Anyway back to the thread:- I'm currently in Cornwall spending time with my gran, who suffers from vascular dementia. My aunt lives next door and acts as a carer but she's on holiday so my dad and i come down to visit. Pretty horrible though as she has no short term or long memory whatsoever. She goes to bed at 7pm and her dog goes with her. We take it out again at 10 because it's old and will piss the bed otherwise.

In the time it's taken me to post this (5 minutes), she's asked me about 15 times (and will ask me several more by the time i finish) what's going on with the dog after she goes to bed.

Funny old situation, I come down every couple of months even though she has no idea who I am (she sometimes thinks that i'm my dad and asks how my son ie me is getting on). She's my last living grandparent so I still make the effort to see her but it's heartbreaking, and every time I come down her condition has gotten worse. :(

That's real touching reading Renton & Stevie. My best wishes to both your dads. As you know my mum has had her recent health problems - mentioned it on here a few months ago that she was rushed off to hospital with a suspected heart attack. Really scary stuff and seems so surreal that it's your parent going off to A&E.

Turns out she had gallstones in the end and her level 9 cholesterol is now back down to an acceptable 5 after i've been taking charge of the cooking! You genuinely do appreciate the time you spend together after a scare.

Anyway back to the thread:- I'm currently in Cornwall spending time with my gran, who suffers from vascular dementia. My aunt lives next door and acts as a carer but she's on holiday so my dad and i come down to visit. Pretty horrible though as she has no short term or long memory whatsoever. She goes to bed at 7pm and her dog goes with her. We take it out again at 10 because it's old and will piss the bed otherwise.

In the time it's taken me to post this (5 minutes), she's asked me about 15 times (and will ask me several more by the time i finish) what's going on with the dog after she goes to bed.

Funny old situation, I come down every couple of months even though she has no idea who I am (she sometimes thinks that i'm my dad and asks how my son ie me is getting on). She's my last living grandparent so I still make the effort to see her but it's heartbreaking, and every time I come down her condition has gotten worse. :(

I'm pleased your mams alright mate, and thanks a lot for that. Me dads conditions getting worse if anything, he's in a HDU now, even had to wear an apron tonight to see him. Very worst of days.

I've been through all this shite, it's beyond dreadful. Words aren't much use like. Just keep going is about all it boils down to.

I know, moods made worse by work as well, all our jobs on the line, shouted at because someone quit their job before the end of the rebate, meaning we had to pay £6000 back. My fucking fault of course. Had such a good 6 month up to January, and this 5 weeks since the Man Utd game up there with the worst. I'm alright for most of the day, I'm alright when I'm there, I walk out feeling helpless and unable to do fuck all apart from worry. I've had a friend die, and me nana the day Keegan walked out the first time against Swindon, and the chances are good he'll make a full recovery, but I've never felt this bad. Honestly everyone loves him, he's a too young to die.

Wishing your dad all the best Stevie. I'm sure those looking after him are keeping you filled in, but if you've got any questions or owt obviously give me a shout.

I will mate, I've never ever had more respect generally speaking for medical people as I do now. I know this sounds pretty pathetic but it's truly only when you're faced with this scenario, you realise that yous all give your lives up to get people get better, surely there's no more noble profession.

Wishing your dad all the best Stevie. I'm sure those looking after him are keeping you filled in, but if you've got any questions or owt obviously give me a shout.

I will mate, I've never ever had more respect generally speaking for medical people as I do now. I know this sounds pretty pathetic but it's truly only when you're faced with this scenario, you realise that yous all give your lives up to get people get better, surely there's no more noble profession.

Its not pathetic Stevie mate. If youre not in the situation you just dont know. Call it ignorance, or what not but its true.

When my mother was ill I had never heard of Macmillan and wasnt sure what they did. Now, them and the hospice my mum spent some time in get a hell of lot of my charity I try and pledge each year.

How is he today Stevie?

Shite pet. They've found an absess in his abdominal area, that's what's been causing the complications, they don't think it's cancerous, but he's back in theatre now. Work is going from bad to worse today as well, so many things on my mind.

How is he today Stevie?

Shite pet. They've found an absess in his abdominal area, that's what's been causing the complications, they don't think it's cancerous, but he's back in theatre now. Work is going from bad to worse today as well, so many things on my mind.

I am sure theyll sort him Stevie man.

I am also sure if you explain the situation at work they will (or bloody should) understand.

fingers crossed for you and your old man stevie. bad craic.

All we need is the toon to come 12th again, my lass to dump me, and me to break a leg and my year sp far is complete. To add insult to injury me sisters mother in law got diagnosed with cancer two days ago! It's just mental I must've kicked a cat or something, is that the saying?