What mood are you in and why?

catmag

7 hours ago, Monkeys Fist said:

So, me and the Mrs just went next door to see how Tom, my neighbour, is doing. 
He’s heartbroken- it was bloody awful, I just wanted to give him a big hug and let him know we’re there if he needs us, but he’s of the “stiff upper lip” generation, and even though it was plain as day he’d have loved a hug, ( probably more from Mrs F, than me) all we could do was let him know we are just next door, pat him on the shoulders and leave it at that. 
He’s a lovely old bloke and I’ll be keeping a weather eye on him over the next few months. 
Ffs, being British has its drawbacks like.  

Stop ruining my preconception of you! -_-

On 06/06/2022 at 11:40, Monkeys Fist said:

Mrs. F. let the mutt out for a piss last night before bed and came rushing back in all flustered saying “ Someone’s died!”

As she was out in the garden a gurney came out of the house next door with a body on. 
It’s the wife of the old guy next door- she was seriously agoraphobic and since moving here in 2016 I’ve only seen her 4-5 times. 
Her husband is a lovely bloke, retired firefighter and I’ve always stopped to chat with him when I see him- I feel so sorry for him. 
I’ll give him a knock later, but I always feel utterly useless in situations like this- nowt I can say or do will bring his wife back. 

Are you sure? Have you even tried? a little voodoo here, a little necromancy there. You'll kick yourself if you don't give it a go. 

christoph waltz jesus GIF

Worried and stressed to the point of being physically sick this morning thanks to being contacted by the bank. All thanks to the horrendous cost of living crisis that this fuckwit government continues to fucking ignore. 

I'm also absolutely sick to death of Tory cunts round here telling me I need to cut back on my excessive spending and then I'd be able to afford to live. Some have even suggest I move up north as I obviously cannot afford to live in the South. Oh, how I would love the dynamics of my life to be that this could even be a remote possibility. Sadly my job and more fundamentally, my kids mean that this locality will be home at least for the next few years. 

I have a reasonably senior management role (report directly to board level) and I'm paid fairly well accordingly. Because of the circumstances on my marriage breakup / divorce, I am not on the housing ladder and instead am renting. Because I have a son and a daughter it was important to me that they had separate bedrooms so I have 3 bed house which for the area I'm living it is extremely reasonable in terms of rent. 

I have dispensed with Sky TV and moved to a SIM only mobile contract. However taking into account rent, council tax, utilities, insurance, child maintenance, car running costs, mobile phone, TV licence, etc. I have £25 of my monthly salary left to my disposal. That's BEFORE I think about food and fuel for the car. 

I have about 5 years to go before Finley will be through A-Levels and University so I feel my only option now is to take out a loan to bridge that period of time and also look for a second job to supplement my income. And I consider myself to be in a well paid job, fuck knows how people my age in a lower paid role have any hope of surviving fiscally.

We can all talk about energy, food and fuel prices all we like. The change that came in this year that I cannot for the life of me think couldn't have been deferred was the hike in National Insurance. Whilst the price of everything is shooting up, net pay has reduced fairly significantly. 

It's fucking horrible.

• Like 7
  • Sad 1

Ah, that’s bad crack, mate. Sorry to hear that. I can’t fathom how people can’t see who to blame. Most people don’t care until they’re really impacted by it though 

• Like 4

Sorry to hear that Craig. It's an increasingly shit world that we live in at the minute, but it feels like especially in this country. And yet a very sizeable minority are Stockholm syndrome sufferers who would sooner blame their neighbour than the people that have caused it. 

Nobody knows how close they are to dipping underwater either. People that would never have dreamt they would be affected are being dragged under now. Shit times.

• Like 4

Cheers guys. Appreciate the kind works. 

Your penultimate sentence is so true as well Gemmill. I look back to when I moved in here 3 years ago and I could comfortably afford it and have the luxuries on top. Now, thanks to my salary plateauing due to covid & redundancy I actually can no longer afford the basics. Someone suggested I downsize - clearly they don't have the first clue about the up front costs associated with doing that. 

I'm find that in my mid 40s, I'm now living more frugally than I did when I was a student. And they dare to suggest we as a nation are booming! Not unless you were born with a silver spoon in your mouth, you're not. 

I've had issues with many governments over the years, but this is the first one I whole heartedly say I fucking hate. Pure survival of the richest. Cunts.

• Like 3

Echo what has been said and really feel for you. What a sht situation, haven't got any practical advice you wouldn't already know about. It'll be no comfort to you that millions are in the same position. 

My own experience is that I have somehow remained married which means on paper we should be able to live very comfortably. But I'm heavily indebted (partly our fault, partly not) for the next 3 years at least and honestly I run out of money every month, and stick things on credit cards.. My job is canny enough, but my wife's job is incredibly stressful though and the hours are insane. But she can't afford to leave because everything else is paid much worse. It's creating real strains on the family at a time we should be enjoying it, its not sustainable. I personally feel that its obvious quality of life in this country has gone down the shitter since Cameron got in, accelerated by the madness since the Brexit referendum.

Take care of your mental health first and foremost and get help wherever you can. I sincerely hope things improve for you. 

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Anyone seen Toast on Tynemouth front street? Charging upwards of 9 quid for toasties :lol: 

Are any of those fucking idiotic Cereal Bars that served bowls of Frosties etc, still open I wonder? 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

Anyone seen Toast on Tynemouth front street? Charging upwards of 9 quid for toasties :lol: 

I was there today for the first time with the family as it happens. Nice enough but too pricey as you say. They do have a morning offer where you can eat unlimited, erm, toast for 4 quid or something. If you want even more insane prices in Tynemouth try the chocolates, more than a quid for malteser sized chocolate. Also 4.50 for a portion of chips at Longsands I think. 

Thing is, prices are pretty insane everywhere now. Also in a lot of places the quality of food has also dropped. 24 quid for a rank burger in Glen Ridding is my worst experience so far. 

21 minutes ago, Renton said:

I was there today for the first time with the family as it happens. Nice enough but too pricey as you say. They do have a morning offer where you can eat unlimited, erm, toast for 4 quid or something. If you want even more insane prices in Tynemouth try the chocolates, more than a quid for malteser sized chocolate. Also 4.50 for a portion of chips at Longsands I think. 

Thing is, prices are pretty insane everywhere now. Also in a lot of places the quality of food has also dropped. 24 quid for a rank burger in Glen Ridding is my worst experience so far. 

I can have unlimited toast in the house for whatever a loaf of bread costs tbf :lol: I’ve never rated many of the chippies down here tbh, the crack about them somehow being nicer by the seas is a fallacy, I’d say but they all overcharge because of it. The Waterfront at the fish quay is quality though.

Funnily enough, off to Lobo Rojo tonight, had a quick blast of the menu and everything is a couple of quid more expensive than it was last time we went earlier this year. Doesn’t sound a lot but adds up once you’re getting your sides and starters

12 minutes ago, Ayatollah Hermione said:

I can have unlimited toast in the house for whatever a loaf of bread costs tbf :lol: I’ve never rated many of the chippies down here tbh, the crack about them somehow being nicer by the seas is a fallacy, I’d say but they all overcharge because of it. The Waterfront at the fish quay is quality though.

Funnily enough, off to Lobo Rojo tonight, had a quick blast of the menu and everything is a couple of quid more expensive than it was last time we went earlier this year. Doesn’t sound a lot but adds up once you’re getting your sides and starters

I reckon longsands is pretty top notch tbh, certainly compared to Marshalls. Good ones in Whitley Bay and the fish Quay too as you say. I can see this unlimited toast thing appealing in winter when I can't afford to run my toaster anymore! The bread there is pretty good, sourdough etc.

I think price inflation is highest on eating out. About 5 years ago, I'd eat out with the family most weeks, having an Italian or Sunday dinner somewhere never came to more than 40 quid with drinks. Now, it's more than double that, and I do it less than once a month. Reckon a lot of hospitality businesses will go to the wall this winter. 

Edited by Renton

2 hours ago, Renton said:

I reckon longsands is pretty top notch tbh, certainly compared to Marshalls. Good ones in Whitley Bay and the fish Quay too as you say. I can see this unlimited toast thing appealing in winter when I can't afford to run my toaster anymore! The bread there is pretty good, sourdough etc.

I think price inflation is highest on eating out. About 5 years ago, I'd eat out with the family most weeks, having an Italian or Sunday dinner somewhere never came to more than 40 quid with drinks. Now, it's more than double that, and I do it less than once a month. Reckon a lot of hospitality businesses will go to the wall this winter. 

Definitely agree on the last point. We’re going from eating out every Saturday afternoon to budgeting for once a month. If everyone else does the same, these places are in danger. 

On 21/06/2022 at 14:15, Craig said:

Worried and stressed to the point of being physically sick this morning thanks to being contacted by the bank. All thanks to the horrendous cost of living crisis that this fuckwit government continues to fucking ignore. 

I'm also absolutely sick to death of Tory cunts round here telling me I need to cut back on my excessive spending and then I'd be able to afford to live. Some have even suggest I move up north as I obviously cannot afford to live in the South. Oh, how I would love the dynamics of my life to be that this could even be a remote possibility. Sadly my job and more fundamentally, my kids mean that this locality will be home at least for the next few years. 

I have a reasonably senior management role (report directly to board level) and I'm paid fairly well accordingly. Because of the circumstances on my marriage breakup / divorce, I am not on the housing ladder and instead am renting. Because I have a son and a daughter it was important to me that they had separate bedrooms so I have 3 bed house which for the area I'm living it is extremely reasonable in terms of rent. 

I have dispensed with Sky TV and moved to a SIM only mobile contract. However taking into account rent, council tax, utilities, insurance, child maintenance, car running costs, mobile phone, TV licence, etc. I have £25 of my monthly salary left to my disposal. That's BEFORE I think about food and fuel for the car. 

I have about 5 years to go before Finley will be through A-Levels and University so I feel my only option now is to take out a loan to bridge that period of time and also look for a second job to supplement my income. And I consider myself to be in a well paid job, fuck knows how people my age in a lower paid role have any hope of surviving fiscally.

We can all talk about energy, food and fuel prices all we like. The change that came in this year that I cannot for the life of me think couldn't have been deferred was the hike in National Insurance. Whilst the price of everything is shooting up, net pay has reduced fairly significantly. 

It's fucking horrible.

Things are a little easier, although I’ve take out a long and large loan so that I’m least able to feed myself and the kids which has released some of the pressure. 

it’s my pay review this month and I’ve been given a heads up it should be fairly decent which is also a relief.

It took a lot for me to open up and tell people how shit my situation is. Nobody wants to admit these sort of things but all I can say is that by doing so, you realise the true value of your mates who have done so much to help. I won’t embarrass them but thank you to the people on here who reached out to help - you know who you are and i’m so grateful.

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

Jaded. Dazed. Are those moods?

Just back from a stag do at a tiny festival in Wales. Lovely little party. Just a couple of thousand people, great music, weather and super friendly vibe. But fuck me I’m getting old for this shite. At least the heat is good for sweating out the toxins. 

• Haha 1