What mood are you in and why?

catmag

1 minute ago, Renton said:

:lol:

Fuck me., we're getting old. I remember you were the first person to reply to me back in the day, when you had a different moniker and Barry Venison as your avatar. Back then you were a complete care free pot head. Look at what you've become! 

I blame giving up pot partially. Quitting was great for my career as smoking weed stunts ambition and productivity but i had no mental health issues back then. 

No mortgage or kids either and the country wasn’t on its arse either mind, which also helped. And just being young not particularly engaged and care-free 

Dave, hope you're doing alright, anxiety doesn't sound like much fun.

Gloom, fucking GROW UP. Or at the very least tell us what you've been saying in these conversations you wake up tortured by, so we can all have a laugh. :lol:

• Haha 4

I'm annoyed at myself for even going to my work Christmas do this year. I hate big group things like that, don't do great in them, and knew I would hate it from start to finish. But I still went cos that's what you're meant to do. 

I left as early as I possibly could and vowed as I was walking out that I'm just not gonna go to these things in the future. They're for other people.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

I'm annoyed at myself for even going to my work Christmas do this year. I hate big group things like that, don't do great in them, and knew I would hate it from start to finish. But I still went cos that's what you're meant to do. 

I left as early as I possibly could and vowed as I was walking out that I'm just not gonna go to these things in the future. They're for other people.

I'm half with you. But then with so much remote working it kind of seems more important than ever to at least make the effort, especially if you're employer has forked out a couple of hundred quid on you. Honestly think it would probably impact on my employment prospects if I avoided it altogether too. Turn up, be nice, have meal, leave. Don't think I would ever enjoy it as such though. With alcohol, worried about the fear the next day, as per Gloom, without alcohol, well, it's just a bit boring I've just found out. Doesn't help that most my colleagues are quite a bit younger than me either, that's the crux of the problem, fucking the relentless passing of time and turning into an old git. :(  

I’m still a weed head if that makes you feel any better. Gloom. ;) 

Gemmill, my ‘Xmas do’ was meeting a couple of ex/colleagues for a bite to eat and a few drinks. Highly recommended. It helps re: my avoiding the real thing that I’m the only person in Newcastle in my whole directorate like. Those big events do my head in. Always seem to be a compromise which actually keeps no one happy so everyone gets bladdered to paper over the cracks. Usually costing a fortune just to rub it in

Edited by Alex

16 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

You've gone down in my estimation.

12 minutes ago, Renton said:

I'm half with you. But then with so much remote working it kind of seems more important than ever to at least make the effort, especially if you're employer has forked out a couple of hundred quid on you. Honestly think it would probably impact on my employment prospects if I avoided it altogether too. Turn up, be nice, have meal, leave. Don't think I would ever enjoy it as such though. With alcohol, worried about the fear the next day, as per Gloom, without alcohol, well, it's just a bit boring I've just found out. Doesn't help that most my colleagues are quite a bit younger than me either, that's the crux of the problem, fucking the relentless passing of time and turning into an old git. :(  

We go into the office one day a week so I get more than my fill of everyone throughout the year, and them of me, I'm sure. 

I'm definitely not doing it next year. It won't have any impact on my employment prospects cos I'm absolutely indispensable. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, The Fish said:

You've gone down in my estimation.

Dave, I hope I've gone down in your estimation cos you're annoyed I went in the first place, and not because you think I should be loving that shit. 

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Alex said:

I’m still a weed head if that makes you feel any better. Gloom. ;) 

Gemmill, my ‘Xmas do’ was meeting a couple of ex/colleagues for a bite to eat and a few drinks. Highly recommended. It helps re: my avoiding the real thing that I’m the only person in Newcastle in my whole directorate like. Those big events do my head in. Always seem to be a compromise which actually keeps no one happy so everyone gets bladdered to paper over the cracks. Usually costing a fortune just to rub it in

Aye that sort of thing would be fine. This was a multiple tables, assigned seating nightmare. There was only about 40 there, but that's about 35 too many for my liking. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Christmas Tree said:

Work do’s are great when you’re self employed :lol: 

Although I do miss the big Xmas do’s at the Gosforth Park back in the day. 

Weren't those Godforth Park Hotel events a throw you car keys in the punch bowl type thing? That's what I heard, anyway. 

2 minutes ago, Dr Gloom said:

I love how everyone bitching about their mental health gets a sympathetic ear and I get a “grow up, Gloom”.

Cunt :lol:

To be fair Fish, who started it, was called a fanny too. Poor Fish. 

5 minutes ago, Renton said:

Weren't those Godforth Park Hotel events a throw you car keys in the punch bowl type thing? That's what I heard, anyway. 

I wish :lol: 

They we’re like a really good wedding disco without kids.

Special Guests such as Gazza and Keegan and one year coincided with Sir Bobby living there.

All the more special as it was a Sunderland based company full of mackems :lol: 

• Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Gemmill said:

Dave, I hope I've gone down in your estimation cos you're annoyed I went in the first place, and not because you think I should be loving that shit. 

This is why I'm annoyed. Work Dos are generally awful. Only good ones I've ever been to were the ones at the Wine and Spirit research company I worked at in London. That's because a) I was younger, b) a lot of the staff were fit international women and c) as you'd expect the drinks were on point. 

The thought of going to a large conference hall, with a make shift bar set up on a table, small talk with the same people you barely put up with during the day, all while some sad sack DJ plays Wham and Mariah , too loudly all night... it leaves me cold. 

• Like 1