What mood are you in and why?

catmag

On 05/02/2023 at 20:23, Blastronaut said:

Also a bit disappointed, was really looking forward to having a boozer right across the road but I popped in for a quick half and within minutes had caught the attention of a few headcases that remembered me from school 20 odd years ago. I've always been quite partial to dodgy boozers for the sheer entertainment value but the reality of being a known face in one when I live literally directly across the road with a young family has me thinking I'll need to wait until my legs have recovered and make the more civilised establishment 100yards further up the road my "local". 

Update to this, said to my missus this morning that the old-firm would be the litmus test for that boozer. Full scale rammy kicked off about an hour ago. Three polis vans and two cars attended, pub shut early and it simmered down, we're currently watching four pissheads determined to break in through the side-door while sporadically resorting to knocking lumps out each other.

Missus is horrified but clearly enjoyed watching the drama unfold. I'm just sitting here half-cut really trying to stop myself saying "fucking told you so".  😄

• Haha 4

In a shocking place and did a couple of things on Sunday evening that were unforgiveable and I'm trying my best to forget. 

Consequently I'm off the booze for the foreseeable. :sad:

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, Craig said:

In a shocking place and did a couple of things on Sunday evening that were unforgiveable and I'm trying my best to forget. 

Consequently I'm off the booze for the foreseeable. :sad:

Sorry to hear that. A break from it might do you some good by the sounds of it.

As for myself, I'm at a place I never thought would happen. After a few months of occasionally bad cravings last year, they've now completely disappeared. The key was after 5 months was actually responsibly having a pint and the odd glass of wine whilst on holiday (talked through with wife). Reason being at the time I didn't want to be defined by the addiction, and was curious. Plus I suspected the alcohol was a symptom of my problems, not a cause. Now I am sure of this.

So I enjoyed the taste, had zero desire to get drunk or even have that "just one" extra drink. Now with the realisation alcohol isn't forbidden, I feel completely in control of it and I can choose not to drink based purely on rational thought processes (i.e. knowing in my case it can lead me to very dark places and for me personally the hangover is NEVER worth the pleasure anyway). No cravings at all, ever. If we'd won on Sunday I might have has a couple of glasses of champagne, but I never really wanted to drink during the match, as despite the stress, I knew it wouldn't make me happy. 

So why drink at all and "risk it" I guess is a fair question. Again, just comes back down to not wanting to define myself like this, not wanting to count days, weeks, months, or even years of abstinence. I'm now just someone who chooses most the time not to drink, and that is so liberating. 

So anyway Craig yes, give yourself a reset. I can vouch as well that alcohol free beers are pretty good now too. Might take a few weeks but it could help lift the fog and won't make things worse, that's for sure. 

• Like 8

Cheers mate. I was blind drunk but I'm fully conscious of what I did and I'm so furious with myself I don't want to give it a moment's thought let alone speak of it in open forum. Definitely in a bad place mentally and been using alcohol to try and mask it. Fucking stupid as it made me worse and cost me a fortune. 

At the moment I don't want to give up drink, but I do want to temper it. I'm also a stubborn cunt so don't react well to what people are telling me I 'should' be doing.

Absolutely not falling into the trap of telling you what you should or shouldn't be doing in a broader sense, but let's just say I did the 2011 Great North Run on an alcohol-heavy training routine and it wasn't pretty. To rub salt into the wound, an octogenarian runner overtook me on the South Shields seafront. I would not recommend it. :lol:

• Haha 7

Yeh best wishes Craig - you know you can always pop on here & get support. 

Don’t blame yourself, it happens to everyone & Sunday was a particularly stressful occasion.

I wasn’t going to drink myself but I was too nervous to drive properly so I thought I may as well & ended up stopping at my mates.

I was genuinely unwell with nerves so I can certainly understand someone having one too many and going a bit daft.

Take it easy & know we’ve always got your back

9 minutes ago, Tom said:

Yeh best wishes Craig - you know you can always pop on here & get support. 

Don’t blame yourself, it happens to everyone & Sunday was a particularly stressful occasion.

I wasn’t going to drink myself but I was too nervous to drive properly so I thought I may as well & ended up stopping at my mates.

I was genuinely unwell with nerves so I can certainly understand someone having one too many and going a bit daft.

Take it easy & know we’ve always got your back

I can’t remember getting home. Monday was one of those god awful anxiety hangovers, riddled with self-loathing. It’s mornings like that when I wonder why we do it to ourselves. 

Anyway, until the next time…

1 hour ago, Alex said:

I hope everything is ok, Craig. Please use this place to sound off (only if you think it helps of course). Take care of yourself, mate 

It involved starting my car engine on the back of an all-day session and then holding a knife to my throat before breaking down having realised what I was doing. 

Getting help and laying off the booze.

Sorry to go all serious, but I properly scared the shit out of myself :sad:

• Sad 1

I “saw the light” a good few years ago, haven’t been proper drunk in ages. 
I had the choice on Sunday of a 1pm start in Town with a lad I know from offshore, or 3:30pm meeting my brother in a local. 

Me and bro had 5-6 beers over the duration, not even groggy on Monday.  I rang my mate the next afternoon and he sounded like Tom Waits :lol:

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, Craig said:

It involved starting my car engine on the back of an all-day session and then holding a knife to my throat before breaking down having realised what I was doing. 

Ooh, fuck me. 

I’d maybe have a think about seeing someone professional mate? 

As always, we’re here to provide support and light punnery, as appropriate. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Craig said:

Sometimes it takes something like to have a word with yourself and realise you have a problem. Obviously it’s not an ideal situation by any stretch of the imagination but if you get the help you need and take the steps you need to take it’s a good thing. Or at least a good thing from something bad that’s happened. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Craig said:

okay, I’m haven’t been there. Sounds dark. 

If it’s any consolation, we definitely all do dumb shit we regret when we’re mortal drunk so try not to beat yourself up too much. Because being in that state literally alters who we are.

it may be you need to get off the booze, it may be something you can eventually put down to experience. 

good luck either way and like everyone else has said, you can always unload on here if it’s any help. 

• Like 1

Don't worry lads, it's scared me to the point of speaking to someone professional (not for the first time in my life). A lot is deep-rooted from childhood and I've got a cunt of a brother to thank for most of it. 

Appreciate the kind words and support. 

• Like 8

13 minutes ago, Monkeys Fist said:

I “saw the light” a good few years ago, haven’t been proper drunk in ages. 
I had the choice on Sunday of a 1pm start in Town with a lad I know from offshore, or 3:30pm meeting my brother in a local. 

Me and bro had 5-6 beers over the duration, not even groggy on Monday.  I rang my mate the next afternoon and he sounded like Tom Waits :lol:

I remember you saying to me a while back why not just have 2 or 3 on an evening and you may have well just been talking mandarin, I couldn't comprehend doing this at the time. Used to justify my binges by my long stints of abstinence, I'm a "famine or feast" kind of bloke, etc. I'm glad for those stints of abstinence as it probably saved my liver amongst other things, but man can binge drinking still fuck your brain in the longer-term. I'm realistic enough to know I can't really ever enjoy booze again like I used to after what I've been through, but as I said it's massively liberating to know going forward this is through choice not necessity.

Of course on the flip side you also quickly realise that quitting or controlling booze is not a panacea and the reason you've been doing this is because life in fucking hard whether you're sober or drunk. But without drink its very likely you'll become higher functioning and your anxiety and depression will likely improve, and definitely not worsen. This place helps, was a God send to me last summer. Good luck Craig, reaching out is the start of getting on top of things. 

• Like 10

My alcohol consumption is nowadays decided by my asthma medication, basically an epi pen to the gut once every 4 weeks @Renton you might know something about it?? 

https://www.nucala.com

I often can’t finish a second pint, physically it won’t go down my throat, hence margaritas at 10am on Sunday (special occasion obvs) This started when I started on this new asthma drug about 18 months ago. A few months ago the current Mrs PL said she hadn’t seen me pissed in about a year which was true, but I fuckin showed her what was what the day of the Bournemouth game earlier this month, all the goons from Newcastle were down and a load of mates from Poole came pre match too so I was drinking whisky in two rounds, went straight home and we had the neighbours round where I proceeded to get smashed on huge home made negronis (I like a cocktail nowadays :) ) Spent Sunday entirely in my dressing gown dozing on the couch, catching furious looks from TCMPL who was expecting us to go to her mothers :lol: 

Hope things get better soon @Craig :good: 

• Haha 4

10 minutes ago, PaddockLad said:

My alcohol consumption is nowadays decided by my asthma medication, basically an epi pen to the gut once every 4 weeks @Renton you might know something about it?? 

https://www.nucala.com

I often can’t finish a second pint, physically it won’t go down my throat, hence margaritas at 10am on Sunday (special occasion obvs) This started when I started on this new asthma drug about 18 months ago. A few months ago the current Mrs PL said she hadn’t seen me pissed in about a year which was true, but I fuckin showed her what was what the day of the Bournemouth game earlier this month, all the goons from Newcastle were down and a load of mates from Poole came pre match too so I was drinking whisky in two rounds, went straight home and we had the neighbours round where I proceeded to get smashed on huge home made negronis (I like a cocktail nowadays :) ) Spent Sunday entirely in my dressing gown dozing on the couch, catching furious looks from TCMPL who was expecting us to go to her mothers :lol: 

Hope things get better soon @Craig :good: 

My first thought was to laugh, love the way you always add current into your spousal descriptions.

Second thought was fucking hell, we're all getting old. 

Third thought was, fucking hell, you're costing the NHS nearly a thousand quid a month to keep alive. :lol:

Fucking monoclonal antibodies, not like in my day, t'was all good old reliable small molecule drugs back then [\Hovis tune to fade]

• Haha 4