Pompey sack Perrin

Dr Kenneth Noisewater

Portsmouth have sacked manager Alain Perrin after just eight months.

Coach Joe Jordan will take temporary charge of the club, who meet champions Chelsea on Saturday.

Chairman Milan Mandaric said: "This has not been an easy decision. Alain is a talented coach and a good man who has worked extremely hard since arriving.

"However, the view taken is that recent performances and the general morale amongst the squad needed improvement. We are all extremely grateful to him."

Perrin took charge in April and kept the club in the Premiership but they have posted only two wins this season and lie one place above the relegation zone.

Following a 3-0 defeat to Liverpool on Saturday, Mandaric was thought to be on the verge of dispensing with Perrin's services but then appeared to have a change of heart.

As recently as Wednesday, he announced Perrin would in charge for the "forseeable future".

However, Perrin's record of four wins in 20 Premiership games has proved his downfall and the 49-year-old has become the first Premiership manager to lose his job this season.

Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock and ex-Hearts manager George Burley are in the frame to succeed the Frenchman.

In a statement, Mandaric, who has overseen the coming and going of eight managers since he took over in 1999, hinted that he would not look abroad again.

"I really believe a knowledge of British football is an underestimated asset in a manager and the demand of Premier League football are intense," he said.

"We have some wonderfully talented players and the most passionate supporters in the country.

"I will now turn my attention to attracting a successful manager to Fratton Park.

"I am confident we will find the right man for the job to help Pompey get the season back on track."

No suprise really. Can't see Burley wanting it, working under Mandaric would be almost as bad as Romanov.

Coach Joe Jordan will take temporary charge of the club, who meet champions Chelsea on Saturday.

Chairman Milan Mandaric said: "This has not been an easy decision. Alain is a talented coach and a good man who has worked extremely hard since arriving.

"However, the view taken is that recent performances and the general morale amongst the squad needed improvement. We are all extremely grateful to him."

Perrin took charge in April and kept the club in the Premiership but they have posted only two wins this season and lie one place above the relegation zone.

Following a 3-0 defeat to Liverpool on Saturday, Mandaric was thought to be on the verge of dispensing with Perrin's services but then appeared to have a change of heart.

As recently as Wednesday, he announced Perrin would in charge for the "forseeable future".

However, Perrin's record of four wins in 20 Premiership games has proved his downfall and the 49-year-old has become the first Premiership manager to lose his job this season.

Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock and ex-Hearts manager George Burley are in the frame to succeed the Frenchman.

In a statement, Mandaric, who has overseen the coming and going of eight managers since he took over in 1999, hinted that he would not look abroad again.

"I really believe a knowledge of British football is an underestimated asset in a manager and the demand of Premier League football are intense," he said.

"We have some wonderfully talented players and the most passionate supporters in the country.

"I will now turn my attention to attracting a successful manager to Fratton Park.

"I am confident we will find the right man for the job to help Pompey get the season back on track."

No suprise really. Can't see Burley wanting it, working under Mandaric would be almost as bad as Romanov.

60095[/snapback]

Robert as player manager tbh.

60095[/snapback]

60097[/snapback]

I heard Robert drove Perrin out.

60097[/snapback]

Then he could slag himself off in the papers and on his website.

60119[/snapback]

I reckon he'll not pick himself and then go on to moan about the managers selection

Edited by manc-mag

The vast majority of people on this forum were convinced Robert would be a massive success at Portsmouth :D

60122[/snapback]

I know you're taking the piss, but he's not been all bad has he? It's not all down to him they are a shit team is it (although they are only 8 points below us)?

Chomp etc. Where's Grimbo?

The vast majority of people on this forum were convinced Robert would be a massive success at Portsmouth :D

60122[/snapback]

I know you're taking the piss, but he's not been all bad has he? It's not all down to him they are a shit team is it (although they are only 8 points below us)?

60123[/snapback]

More nibble than chomp tbh. Definitely broke the skin though.

60097[/snapback]

60119[/snapback]

I reckon he'll not pick himself and then go on to moan about the managers selection

60121[/snapback]

Maybe he'll try to sign Luque as his direct replacement.

60122[/snapback]

60123[/snapback]

The fact that he wasn't getting a game even when they were struggling and his decision to announce his injury as the team was being read out at the mackem game tells its own story though, no?

60097[/snapback]

60119[/snapback]

60121[/snapback]

Maybe he'll try to sign Luque as his direct replacement.

60125[/snapback]

:D

See SBR has voiced his want for the job!

60512[/snapback]

I find it a bit sad that Robson's been reduced to this actually. Every time a job at any club becomes available he's there going "I'll do it :lol: ".

60575[/snapback]

He loves the limelight tbh.

What actually is limelight?  I know the phrase, but what is "limelight"? :lol:

60589[/snapback]

I think 'lime' (as in the chemical rather than the fruit :lol: ) was used in lights years ago. I think it was particularly used in theatre lights, hence being in the lime light is being in the public eye. I read it in that 'Red Herrings and White Elephants' book which is about the origin of common phrases. And before you say it, yes I know I am a NERD!

What actually is limelight?  I know the phrase, but what is "limelight"? ;)

60589[/snapback]

I think 'lime' (as in the chemical rather than the fruit ;) ) was used in lights years ago. I think it was particularly used in theatre lights, hence being in the lime light is being in the public eye. I read it in that 'Red Herrings and White Elephants' book which is about the origin of common phrases. And before you say it, yes I know I am a NERD!

60592[/snapback]

:lol:

That was quite nerdy like, but better to just know the answers to these things than have to ask really, I suppose. :lol:

Crystal Palace have revealed they rejected an approach from Portsmouth for manager Iain Dowie.

Pompey are without a boss after sacking Frenchman Alain Perrin and were keen to appoint Dowie as his successor.

But Palace chairman Simon Jordan said: "I have rejected Portsmouth's request and look forward to maintaining a strong working relationship with Iain."

Dowie added: "I love working with the group of players I have here and I enjoy being manager of Crystal Palace."

The former Oldham boss said: "The chairman informed me of Portsmouth's interest, but both he and I are totally focused on getting Crystal Palace back to the Premiership."

Sheffield United boss Neil Warnock was understood to be Pompey's first choice, but former Hearts manager George Burley is another name in the frame.

Dowie would be stupid to go to Portsmouth

From SCE

Have your say on 606 

Sir Bobby Robson has shown an interest in succeeding Perrin, who was dismissed after only eight months in charge.

But another contender, Ruud Gullit, has reportedly rejected initial approaches from Mandaric to take over from Perrin.

Warnock has put Sheffield United in contention for promotion to the Premiership, but is waiting on a new contract at Bramall Lane, leading to suggestions he is ready to take on the challenge of keeping Portsmouth in the top flight.

But the Yorkshire club's plc chairman Kevin McCabe has expressed his concern at the increasing speculation that Warnock could move to Pompey.

He said: "What I've read is improper. It can cause unrest and I don't like it.

"Should we make the Premiership we'd be talking about a new contract for Warnock. If we're in the Championship we'll probably extend the old one."

Warnock played down suggestions he may quit the Blades, saying: "I can understand our board's reluctance (to finalise a new deal) but enough has been said and it would be going back over old ground."

Former England manager Robson, 72, has been out of work since he was sacked by Newcastle in August 2004 and has declared he is ready to return.

"I am competent to do another job. Where it is I don't know. I am waiting for the right job to come along," Robson told BBC Radio Newcastle.

"If the job came along I would take it, even at my age. I still love being on the pitch. It is what I like and what I am good at, and with respect, I am not being egotistical here.

"I miss Saturday afternoons, being with the players, being on the pitch and I miss the thrill of training and playing and getting results."

In a statement announcing Frenchman Perrin's departure, Portsmouth chairman Milan Mandaric hinted that the club would now seek a British manager.