George Best

Guest alex

Terrible thing, yet  my sympathy is tempered- didn't he have a liver transplant some years ago? And still drinking?  Not meaning this in a cruel or harsh way, and I would never wish that kind of death on anyone , but fact is he brought it on himself. Tragic tho.

60205[/snapback]

Yes, he has managed to completely knack a new liver in three years, I imagine that takes some doing.

It is sad, but it is difficult to have sympathy.

60208[/snapback]

I have no difficulty whatsoever in feeling a lot of sympathy for him. It's not like he made a conscious decision to become an alcoholic.

60214[/snapback]

WUM but I'll slightly bite with a sarcastic- 'Oh I'm sure his hands were always tied and he was forced to swallow that devil's brew.'

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Terrible thing, yet  my sympathy is tempered- didn't he have a liver transplant some years ago? And still drinking?  Not meaning this in a cruel or harsh way, and I would never wish that kind of death on anyone , but fact is he brought it on himself. Tragic tho.

60205[/snapback]

Yes, he has managed to completely knack a new liver in three years, I imagine that takes some doing.

60208[/snapback]

I have no difficulty whatsoever in feeling a lot of sympathy for him. It's not like he made a conscious decision to become an alcoholic.

60214[/snapback]

WUM but I'll slightly bite with a sarcastic- 'Oh I'm sure his hands were always tied and he was forced to swallow that devil's brew.'

60218[/snapback]

From someone that works in the medical profession I'm a bit taken aback by that tbh. And I don't think Alex was trying to wind you up.

60205[/snapback]

60208[/snapback]

60214[/snapback]

No, but he didn't take the steps he needed to deal with his addiction, despite his hugely privileged position (he's not going to die in an NHS hospital, is he?). I lost sympathy when he had the transplant. He was given a miraculous second chance, but chose to ignore all the warnings and his vows and pissed it away. In retrospect it was the wrong decision to give him that chance, and I am sure his actions will probably have a negative effect on other alcoholics today.

TalkSport treating it like a day of national mouring.

60211[/snapback]

Knob-jockeys on that station like. I find myself listening to it solely to wind myself up.

60217[/snapback]

They make Spooney seem ok. Not good, but ok.

60205[/snapback]

60208[/snapback]

60214[/snapback]

No, but he didn't take the steps he needed to deal with his addiction, despite his hugely privileged position (he's not going to die in an NHS hospital, is he?). I lost sympathy when he had the transplant. He was given a miraculous second chance, but chose to ignore all the warnings and his vows and pissed it away. In retrospect it was the wrong decision to give him that chance, and I am sure his actions will probably have a negative effect on other alcoholics today.

60220[/snapback]

Well, I feel differently.

60205[/snapback]

60208[/snapback]

60214[/snapback]

60220[/snapback]

60223[/snapback]

Fair enough, but do you agree, with hindsight, he should never have been given a transplant?

He had all the help imaginable - his mother died an alcoholic (most people would stop drinking if that had happened), he had money, access to the best medical help, he was under public scrutiny, he had a beautiful loving wife. There comes a point when you have to take responsibility and face your addictions - he is the only person to blame for his fate, hence the lack of sympathy compared to people who really don't get a chance.

Obviously divides opinion but at least he had the very best of treatment and every amount of help and assistance to overcome his problems. Ultimately down to him that he didnt/couldnt, which even if it isnt 'tragic' is still very 'sad'.

Obviously divides opinion but at least he had the very best of treatment and every amount of help and assistance to overcome his problems. Ultimately down to him that he didnt/couldnt, which even if it isnt 'tragic' is still very 'sad'.

60232[/snapback]

I think it's both tragic and sad, I just don't have much sympathy. I really hope I don't sound callous, because I'm not that type of person, but much worse things happen to people every day and unlike Best, they have no choice.

60232[/snapback]

I think it's both tragic and sad, I just don't have much sympathy. I really hope I don't sound callous, because I'm not that type of person, but much worse things happen to people every day and unlike Best, they have no choice.

60233[/snapback]

Exactly.

60232[/snapback]

60233[/snapback]

Exactly.

60235[/snapback]

*said in Scouse accent, with a 'milk moustache'* :D

:icon_lol:

60205[/snapback]

60208[/snapback]

60214[/snapback]

60220[/snapback]

60223[/snapback]

Fair enough, but do you agree, with hindsight, he should never have been given a transplant?

He had all the help imaginable - his mother died an alcoholic (most people would stop drinking if that had happened), he had money, access to the best medical help, he was under public scrutiny, he had a beautiful loving wife. There comes a point when you have to take responsibility and face your addictions - he is the only person to blame for his fate, hence the lack of sympathy compared to people who really don't get a chance.

60231[/snapback]

He gave up the booze and ticked all the right boxes for a transplant according to his consultant. He couldn't see into the future could he. As for the comparison with other people, it works both ways doesn't it? He was probably subjected to the sort of media scrutiny and hype that no other British footballer had been before. He often blames his need to overcome shyness for making him start drink. I feel very sorry for him.

60232[/snapback]

60233[/snapback]

Fuck me Renton you had the violins out and were claiming (erroneously as it turned out) that GNER were going to be doing you out of a Xmas present this year. I'm withdrawing my sympathy herewith :icon_lol:

:D

He gave up the booze and ticked all the right boxes for a transplant according to his consultant. He couldn't see into the future could he. As for the comparison with other people, it works both ways doesn't it? He was probably subjected to the sort of media scrutiny and hype that no other British footballer had been before. He often blames his need to overcome shyness for making him start drink. I feel very sorry for him.

60238[/snapback]

This is what infuriates me - if he could give up for a year before the transplant, why did he start again? He obviously thought to himself it's OK now I have a nice new liver.

Anyway, the doctor's got it wrong on this one, I hope they weren't swung by his fame.

60238[/snapback]

This is what infuriates me - if he could give up for a year before the transplant, why did he start again? He obviously thought to himself it's OK now I have a nice new liver.

Anyway, the doctor's got it wrong on this one, I hope they weren't swung by his fame.

60242[/snapback]

I take your point although I don't think you can blame the doctors, they weren't to know he was going to start drinking again.

60232[/snapback]

60233[/snapback]

Fuck me Renton you had the violins out and were claiming (erroneously as it turned out) that GNER were going to be doing you out of a Xmas present this year. I'm withdrawing my sympathy herewith :icon_lol:

60241[/snapback]

:razz:;);)

I'll be eating nothing but boiled potatoes while you scoff your organic turkey.

Bollocks, you're a veggie aren't you - that doesn't work. :angry:

60232[/snapback]

60233[/snapback]

Fuck me Renton you had the violins out and were claiming (erroneously as it turned out) that GNER were going to be doing you out of a Xmas present this year. I'm withdrawing my sympathy herewith :angry:

60241[/snapback]

;););)

I'll be eating nothing but boiled potatoes while you scoff your organic turkey.

Bollocks, you're a veggie aren't you - that doesn't work. :razz:

60244[/snapback]

Organic nut roast :icon_lol:

Xmas is shite anyway and that's official :D

60250[/snapback]

Not getting any tbh.

60253[/snapback]

There's nowt seasonal about that :icon_lol:

60255[/snapback]

I can empathise with that like.

60259[/snapback]

I can sympathise with that like.