Korea - looking nasty

Rob W

If the two Koreas start fighting, will they get thrown out of the World Cup like Yugoslavia were thrown out of the '92 Euros?

Could be a way for those plucky Irish to get into the tournament. Can just see a prick like Robbie Keane on Sky Sports News going 'obviously it's a shame that North Korea nuked Seoul but it's good that justice has been done and we're going to the World Cup. These things have a way of working themselves out in football.'

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very close friend of mine was stationed over there in the mid-90's when he was in the Air Force. He used to write me and say that whenever NK inevitably attacks/ invades/ nukes SK, it should come to a surprise to no one. He said they got pretty close twice when he was over there- man the wall drills and all that.

Not sure what our connection to SK is exactly, nothing particularly obvious (i.e. oil) other than grandfather bases from the Korean War (and maybe intelligence opportunities regarding China), but I doubt we'd hang them out to dry if/ when NK tries something.

Guest alex

I reckon China are closer allies to USA than they are to N. Korea anyway these days so I can't see them getting involved beyond the role of arbitrator.

Very close friend of mine was stationed over there in the mid-90's when he was in the Air Force. He used to write me and say that whenever NK inevitably attacks/ invades/ nukes SK, it should come to a surprise to no one. He said they got pretty close twice when he was over there- man the wall drills and all that.

Not sure what our connection to SK is exactly, nothing particularly obvious (i.e. oil) other than grandfather bases from the Korean War (and maybe intelligence opportunities regarding China), but I doubt we'd hang them out to dry if/ when NK tries something.

Nobody gives a fuck about SK.

I think the fanaticism in the worker's paradise is quite low in reality. I think fear, hunger and tiredness is keeping Kim and co. in place. There are fanatics who do believe the crap, and they're the ones with the guns, but the masses are just going through the motions to try and keep out of the labour camps and the wrong end of a firing squad.

One would hope you are right, however there are many citizens in NK who believe Kimmie is the son of a god.

"Rainbows were seen everywhere in the sky and the dreary winter weather turned into glorious spring the day our Dear Leader was born",

as the text books point out in NK's school curriculum. There is little science, or maths to learn, but rather a philosophy to be subservient in what we would call a cult state.

It must also be pointed out that aside from the full-time army of 1.5 million they have a civilian defence force consisting of about 4 million. A nasty band of guerilla warfare makers there ready to infiltrate the South if the need arises.

There is a big devotion to the Leader (Kimmie). I remember a few years ago watching a programme of how some American and British doctors went in and performed operations on hundreds of people who had a caterax and could see. Anyway they managed to secretly film a documentary after being let in only on provisions (I think the Americans had to pretend they were British). Anyway after the bandages and such were taken off the North Koreans heads they went up to a a picter of Kimmie and thanked him for sending the people to help them despite him having nothing to do with it.

Anyway pleny of people in NK still arn't taken in by the leader and a lot of people put up a pretend faith to him out of fear, an estimated 500,000 people each year make it out of NK, no one knows the exact figure of how many die trying.

Drop leaflets that show the truth that he lives a life of luxary whilst they starve, and keep it up. Point out that there is more to life than working in some factory and looking over your shoulder in case you say something that may lead to a firing squad. Problem is, how do you get them into N. Korea?

This is difficult, as NK is hard to penetrate, so you don't know how devoted the people are to the system. The time to move may be when Kimmie dies, and leaves a power vacuum. There is no certainty his son will be accepted by the military elite.

Edited by Billy Castell

Fucking hell, not a remake of M.A.S.H as well!

I'd worry more about another replay of the Fighting Fifth on the Imjin if I was under 40..........................

For those who don't know we're talking about the Northumberland Fusiliers here folks

I shall wave my hankie and hand out white feathers to youth when they restart the draft

Are there any decent documentaries about North Korea?

Never seen any documentaries on the situation, but there's a couple of good Korean films I've seen about iit.

JSA is a good film about life patroling the border. By the same fella the wrote/directed Oldboy. AKA Joint Security Area.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...indhotelinth-21

Taegukgi is another good one set during the Korean war. AKA Tae Guk Gi, Brotherhood or The Brotherhood of War.

http://www.zavvi.com/dvd/brotherhood-taegukgi/8551946.html

China says a North Korean border guard shot and killed three people on the Chinese side of the border last week.

A fourth person was injured in the incident in the northeastern border town of Dandong, China said.

China has made a formal complaint to North Korea, a spokesman for the Chinese foreign ministry said.

The two countries are normally close allies. It is unusual for China to make any public criticism of its neighbour.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10263325.stm

Something weird going on like.

China says a North Korean border guard shot and killed three people on the Chinese side of the border last week.

A fourth person was injured in the incident in the northeastern border town of Dandong, China said.

China has made a formal complaint to North Korea, a spokesman for the Chinese foreign ministry said.

The two countries are normally close allies. It is unusual for China to make any public criticism of its neighbour.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/world/asia_pacific/10263325.stm

Something weird going on like.

aye, its a strange one that.

some nutcase shooting a couple of Chinese I can believe

but for the Chinese to take it public................... deep waters here

Reckon this could flare up Rob?

Reckon this could flare up Rob?

suspect not but trying to figure out what is happening in China is bad enough - N Korea is impossible