Korea - looking nasty

Rob W

North Korean troops have fired across the border into South Korean territory, reports say.

The shooting occurred in Hwacheon, some 90km (56 miles) north-east of the South's capital, Seoul, according to reports from South Korea's YTN TV.

Yonhap news agency said two shots were aimed at a South Korean military unit.

The Reuters news agency quoted a defence ministry official in Seoul as confirming that the shooting had taken place.

The news agency reports that South Korea's Joint Chief of Staff said that the two states had exchanged fire.

Media reports said North Korea had fired two rounds towards a frontline unit in Hwacheon, in the eastern province of Gangwon.

A Joint Chiefs of Staff spokesperson said that no South Koreans were hurt, AFP reports.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11650810

;)

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The North have been firing off shots at the South for ages. The South like to tell the North of their deficiencies through loud speakers you see.

Rob W will verify this...

Yes, but my point was that the North respond to loud propaganda entering it's territory in sound waves by shooting at those speakers, so shots being fired across the border is not a new concept in the DMZ.

Yes, but my point was that the North respond to loud propaganda entering it's territory in sound waves by shooting at those speakers, so shots being fired across the border is not a new concept in the DMZ.

i think I'm with you...................

• 3 weeks later...
odd one this - winter setting in makes it a poor time to start trouble

You talk pure pish as I'll point out on another thread in a minute, but you're right, all the great wars generally start when it's warm historically, no one can be arsed when it's cold. Same with any conflict, football hooliganism always did and always has taken a nose dive when it's cold, it's why we never play the mackems when it's warm, you might laugh but it's true.

odd one this - winter setting in makes it a poor time to start trouble

You talk pure pish as I'll point out on another thread in a minute, but you're right, all the great wars generally start when it's warm historically, no one can be arsed when it's cold. Same with any conflict, football hooliganism always did and always has taken a nose dive when it's cold, it's why we never play the mackems when it's warm, you might laugh but it's true.

I disagree with you but you are correct??!11!!??

baffled me'sel like.....................

Of course the real problem is that the marine boundary between N & S Korea has never been agreed - it was imposed by the UN after the Korean War (as opposed to the cease fire line onshore which was agreed between the UN & the Chinese and N Korean forces)

History shows that boundaries imposed by one side are unstable

Got to love Kimmie's way of getting the yanks back to the bargaining table don't you?

Invite one over to see how your centrifuges are ticking away nicely and the means to develop nukes quickly increasing by the month and know that it'll cause alert back home. Then wait a few days and lob a few dozen artillery shells towards the South. I think they have succeeded, the yanks are listening...

slightly larger navy to work them over 'n aalll

China's got super-carrier sinking weapons now though haven't they, missiles that can get through the US fleet's most stringent defences?

So long as they feel the need for a buffer zone, and the thought of a unified Korea backed by the US military right on their doorstep is not one, NK will be allowed to do as it pleases, despite China's hollow calls for peace. There will be no war, only an agreement to disagree for more rice.

Hmmm - never really proven themselves in action - earlier versions knocked an Israeli gunboat about a bit but since then not any serious use

The Yanks will never sail very close to the coast so you have to deliver them with ships (suicide mission against a US Carrier Group), by air (ditto) or by submarine - and I don't think Chinese submarines are very good either

Even if you do get close the AEGIS systems backed up with close in anti missile guns and missiles will probably splash them

N Korea has two great advantages in all this

Firstly Seoul is only 36km from the border and long range artillery could devastate the place if the balloon goes up, secondly the last thing the Chinese want is millions of refugees swarming over the border

Hmmm - never really proven themselves in action - earlier versions knocked an Israeli gunboat about a bit but since then not any serious use

The Yanks will never sail very close to the coast so you have to deliver them with ships (suicide mission against a US Carrier Group), by air (ditto) or by submarine - and I don't think Chinese submarines are very good either

Even if you do get close the AEGIS systems backed up with close in anti missile guns and missiles will probably splash them

Firstly Seoul is only 36km from the border and long range artillery could devastate the place if the balloon goes up, secondly the last thing the Chinese want is millions of refugees swarming over the border

Aye, as I alluded to in an earlier post in this thread.

Not sure what missiles/weaponry you are thinking of here but this Dong Feng anti-ship ballistic missile sounds the real deal. US military strategists admit to its lethality and the fact US carriers would be helpless against them, even under the umbrella of their AEGIS ships which I've read in other articles. Note the date of this article, before NK upped the ante in the region;

click here

N Korea would mash the South in a few days if they put their minds to it and there is little the U.S. and their 20,000 troops could do about it.

N Korea would mash the South in a few days if they put their minds to it and there is little the U.S. and their 20,000 troops could do about it.

Hmmm - how long do you reckon the N Korean Air Force would last Parky? About 90 minutes I reckon - 40 third generation fighters and the rest going back to the MiG 15 - one US Carrier could take the lot on by itself -and then it would the "highway of death" in Kuwait all over again...................

and then it would be

Edited by Rob W

Aye, as I alluded to in an earlier post in this thread.

Not sure what missiles/weaponry you are thinking of here but this Dong Feng anti-ship ballistic missile sounds the real deal. US military strategists admit to its lethality and the fact US carriers would be helpless against them, even under the umbrella of their AEGIS ships which I've read in other articles. Note the date of this article, before NK upped the ante in the region;

click here

Chinese operated only - and mainly hidden well inside China itself.

if they use one against a US Carrier all bets are off