Your fav cop, detective, investigator, private eye...

Park Life

Dexter Morgan

Currently reading Charlie Brooker's most recent collected columns.

Reminded me of this....

You know what I miss? Fray Bentos steak and ale pies. I haven't had one in years. But as a student, I ate them all the time. I thought they represented grown-up cooking. After all, this wasn't your average takeaway slop. No. A Fray Bentos supper required preparation and patience. You had to shear the lid off with a tin opener, and chuck the pie in the oven for half an hour. The end result was sublime.

Except it wasn't. Having wolfed down better, fresher meals since then, I now realise that what I was eating tasted like piping-hot dog food by comparison. At the time I just didn't know any better. Now I couldn't face one. I've been spoiled. You can't go home again.

I'm starting to wonder if obsessively watching The Wire - a show I've recently revisited as a result of doing a short programme about it (Tapping The Wire, Mon, 9pm, FX) - has similarly spoiled me in terms of TV drama. By now, the sound of yet another person blasting on about how good The Wire is probably makes you want to yawn your soul apart, but really it's so absorbing, so labyrinthine and bloody-minded, it makes almost everything else seem a bit... well, a bit Fray Bentos.

Take Dexter (Sun, 10pm, FX). I'd heard a lot of positive things about it. Beyond positive, in fact: people queued up to give it a blowjob. And tickle its balls. And look it in the eye while they did so. These were people I trusted. And then I sit down to actually watch it and discover my head's been so warped by Wire-scented goodness, Dexter simply gets on my wick.

The premise is as dumb as a dodgem full of monkeys. Anti-hero Dexter is a blood-spatter expert working for the Miami police department. He's also a serial killer. But that's okay, because he's managed to channel and control his murderous tendencies by indulging in vaguely justifiable slayings - ie he only kills other serial killers.

Preposterous, yes, but there's nothing wrong with a preposterous set-up per se. Unfortunately the show ping-pongs between quirky, tasteless comedy and what it seems to earnestly believe is a compelling study of the psychopathic mindset. It's a bit like watching an episode of Scooby-Doo in which the lighthouse keeper who's disguised himself as a sea monster in order to scare people away from his gold spends half his screen time mulling over the philosophical meaning of masks. And then stabs Shaggy in the eye with a toasting fork.

What's more, the show depends on the viewer finding Dexter himself curiously charming despite the fact that he enjoys strapping his victims to a gurney and torturing them with a drill. The easiest way to achieve this is to make said victims "worse" than he is. Implausibly worse. This week, for instance, Dexter's stalking a hit-and-run drunk driver - which means he can't be just any old drunk driver, but a serial offender who's apparently ploughed through an orphan in every state, repeatedly beaten the rap, and then shrugged it off as no big deal.

They might as well cut to a shot of him dancing on a grave with a bottle of champagne in his hand. Enter Dexter stage left with his power drill. Cue cheering. Cut to ad break. Phew, this show is, like, intense, man. It totally toys with your sense of moral justice and shit. Awesome!

Add to that a bunch of mono-dimensional cops working alongside Dexter (including his sister, whose sole character trait is a potty mouth), an irritating voiceover that's about one-tenth as wry as it thinks it is, and a smattering of unbelievably bad yet apparently earnest flashback sequences in which young Dexter is schooled in the art of anger management by his FBI-profiler dad, and you're left with a weird, offensively simplified mulch which only an idiot could truly refer to as "dark".

Which isn't to say it's utterly terrible; I'm curious enough to try the next episode. But don't be fooled into thinking it's any more sophisticated than the A-Team. It's gorier, that's all.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2007/jul/1...ting.tvandradio

Wow! That's a bit harsh.

Maybe if old Charlie tried to make it as a screenwriter than a two bit regurgitator of tv clips (the cheapest form of television) while acting the smarmy git who's mindset is that he is still at Uni (beer, couch, raised eyebrow - paunched cynicim) I'd take his tv writing criticery more seriously.

YOu see Charlie it's easy this game. :D

Wow! That's a bit harsh.

Maybe if old Charlie tried to make it as a screenwriter than a two bit regurgitator of tv clips (the cheapest form of television) while acting the smarmy git who's mindset is that he is still at Uni (beer, couch, raised eyebrow - paunched cynicim) I'd take his tv writing criticery more seriously.

He's written for Brass Eye. He co-wrote Nathan Barley and he did Dead Set on his own. :icon_lol:

Wow! That's a bit harsh.

He's written for Brass Eye. He co-wrote Nathan Barley and he did Dead Set on his own. :icon_lol:

Yes but Parkie is king of the internet so nyehhh

Wow! That's a bit harsh.

Yes but Parkie is king of the internet so nyehhh

Never heard of any of em.

Got to say Columbo for me - I love the way he just knows from the start.

Are we all going to chip in for Renton's birthday...

columbot-justonemorething_1_103802_black-white-print_l.jpg

Very well written as it goes.

Its got to be yank and the 1970s for your top tv/film tecs for me:

Kojak

Shaft

Starksy

Hutch

Huggy Bear (theyd have done fuck all without the Hugster :D )

the aforementioned Columbo

into the 80s, honourable mentions to:

Crockett

Tubbs

the croc and their two hot female colleagues

The black guy/white guy combo from Hill Street Blues, they were always being investigated for being a bit bent..

Its got to be yank and the 1970s for your top tv/film tecs for me:

Kojak

Shaft

Starksy

Hutch

Huggy Bear (theyd have done fuck all without the Hugster :D )

the aforementioned Columbo

into the 80s, honourable mentions to:

Crockett

Tubbs

the croc and their two hot female colleagues

The black guy/white guy combo from Hill Street Blues, they were always being investigated for being a bit bent..

I'd put Hill Street Blues up there with the wire for multi-handed writing.

hsb6.jpg

Edited by Park Life