The Labour Leadership Campaign

Christmas Tree

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If the Tories want a minimum % for a Union strike ballot to be valid then all they have to do is allow workplace ballots again, and I'd have no problem with it. They won't though - they want to have their cake and eat it. I'd understand if this was '77 and Jimmy from Leyland has just took the shopfloor outside because the coffee provided by the management wasn't up to scratch - but FFS it's 2015 and the Tube strike aside, the only other strikes that have occurred over the last 5 years have been in direct opposition to Tory policy, and have had full legitimacy. (FWIW I support the Tube strike anarl).

As for a Labour leader I'm praying to god it's not Corbyn - the Twitter echo chambers would love it but in the real world that's an instant Tory victory in 2020. Mind, looking at the other contenders the same is probably true for all of them. Dan Jarvis is the man I would have thrown my hat in the ring with but sadly he (understandably due to personal reasons) ruled himself out. Burnham's a good man but seemingly still hasn't learned any lessons with his comment to O'Neill yesterday: 'I absolutely support the free movement of people' - aye mate that's really going to benefit the low paid in this country.

Was it someone on here who said that the Tories are just getting all the really shit, contentious stuff out of the way as early as possible so that they can relax things in the run up to the next election when people will have forgotten about how nefarious they were in the first place? I read that somewhere and it seems to hold true so far.

If this is the way they're going, being scared of The Daily Hate and co and not standing up for their beliefs, then the sooner the border moves south past the Tyne the better.

they're not the labour party anymore. been saying it for ages. a future labour government will probably have to be some kind of broad left-wing coalition

If this is the way they're going, being scared of The Daily Hate and co and not standing up for their beliefs, then the sooner the border moves south past the Tyne the better.

Agree with this wholeheartedly.

Was it someone on here who said that the Tories are just getting all the really shit, contentious stuff out of the way as early as possible so that they can relax things in the run up to the next election when people will have forgotten about how nefarious they were in the first place? I read that somewhere and it seems to hold true so far.

"The best way to take control over a people and control them utterly is to take a little of their freedom at a time, to erode rights by a thousand tiny and almost imperceptible reductions. In this way, the people will not see those rights and freedoms being removed until past the point at which these changes cannot be reversed."

Guess who?

I'm signing up to Labour specifically to vote for him. 3 Cameron lites who have as much chance at winning an election as Miliband, or a Bennite who might actually grab the publics imagination after 5 years of being boracic under the Tories