The Labour Leadership Campaign

Christmas Tree

Meanwhile....

I see Kinnock has got behind Ed Miliband. Interesting support because I'd have more expected Kinnock, who I'd suggest Brown was of a similar vein, to support Gordon's natural successor which would have been Ed Balls.

David Miliband needs someone in his camp to reach out to the left of the party if he's going to win this vote. It isn't as plain-sailing as some think it is IMO... and his brother is his biggest threat.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Meanwhile....

I see Kinnock has got behind Ed Miliband. Interesting support because I'd have more expected Kinnock, who I'd suggest Brown was of a similar vein, to support Gordon's natural successor which would have been Ed Balls.

David Miliband needs someone in his camp to reach out to the left of the party if he's going to win this vote. It isn't as plain-sailing as some think it is IMO... and his brother is his biggest threat.

I think the third brother Steve should stand

Balls, Burnham, the Milibands, what an uninspiring choice. Cosseted career politicians who've never had a job in the real world and have about as much substance as spit on a pavement.

I love the way they're all being repentent about Labour's failures as they see them that helped them lose the election. Of course if they'd managed to get in they wouldn't be crusading now on the same topics would they?

Balls is my choice to get it though. Horrible, horrible bastard who'll get tainted by the stink of failure in opposition. And added to the fact that loads of his own side hate him too, it'll finish him as any sort of relevant politician.

Sacrifice a freaky goggle eyed, nasty piece of work pawn for the greater good.

There is something about Ed Balls I really don't like, the story about him getting 3 points for driving while on his mobile with his kids in the car didn't help either. Although, that is totally irrational. David Milliband for me seems a lot more human than his brother Ed, who comes across as an uncomfortable social spastic.

There is something about Ed Balls I really don't like, the story about him getting 3 points for driving while on his mobile with his kids in the car didn't help either. Although, that is totally irrational. David Milliband for me seems a lot more human than his brother Ed, who comes across as an uncomfortable social spastic.

I don't like the fact Balls was a Brown lap dog who undermined by any means necessary whoever he was told to. And the prick obviously relished the role too. Also very convenient how he got his new constituency seat.

I could slag off the other three realistic contenders for plenty of things too, just I dislike Balls more than them.

Balls fucked up when he publically advocated tactical voting the day before the election IMO - evidently against the wishes of Gordon Brown who came out and said quite the opposite.

Probably was secretly hoping for defeat so that Brown would be moved aside and he'd (in his mind) take his rightful place as his successor.

He gets in and it'll be many years in the political wilderness for 'Next Labour' IMO.

I think the major problem with Balls, and pardon the pun here, he comes across as a bit of a cock.

Comes across or is?? :D

Ed Miliband has most support as Labour nominations open

Ed Miliband has secured the most support from MPs so far in the race to become the next Labour leader.

Figures published by the party on the first day of official nominations show he has the backing of 34 MPs, enough to mean he can stand in the contest.

Candidates need the support of 33 MPs to be able to get on the ballot paper.

Among the other five contenders, David Miliband, Ed's brother, currently has 19 nominations Ed Balls has four and Andy Burham has one.

Neither Diane Abbott nor John McDonnell, both backbenchers on the left of the party, have any so far.

After the official nomination process opened on Monday, the Labour Party said they would update the figures twice a day on their website until nominations close on 9 June.

The contest is at an early stage and the figures do not necessarily reflect the level of support behind each of the candidates.

Among the MPs officially backing Ed Miliband are former Cabinet ministers Hilary Benn, John Denham and Peter Hain.

Shadow Foreign Secretary David Miliband has won the confirmed backing of senior figures such as Douglas Alexander and Jim Murphy.

Meanwhile, Mr Balls' backers include former ministers Ian Austin and Vernon Coaker.

Several senior party figures have publicly endorsed candidates but their names do not yet appear on the list. Former Home Secretary Alan Johnson, for example, has thrown his weight behind David Miliband.

Backbench MP Diane Abbott has said she is "on track" to get the 33 nominations needed.

The new leader will be elected through a ballot of MPs, MEPs, party members and members of affiliated organisations such as trade unions, with the outcome being announced at the party conference in September.

The ballot will be Labour's first contested leadership election since 1994. Gordon Brown did not face a challenge in 2007.

Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/8702061.stm

An hour to go til the Queens Speech debate and we'll see what Labour could be missing with Harriet.

She can be quite good when she gets going and especially when she's had time to plan.

Expecting a good fight.

Guest alex
An hour to go til the Queens Speech debate and we'll see what Labour could be missing with Harriet.

She can be quite good when she gets going and especially when she's had time to plan.

Expecting a good fight.

It's not about being good in Parliament particularly though (even if it should be). See Tony Blair.

A very good commons performance following the queens speech.

The two proposers were quite amusing as is tradition, in particular Peter Lilley, (an odious twat if ever there was one) was very funny.

As expected Harriet Harman was excellent and I think if they'd ditched Gordon and gone with Harriet, Labour would still be in power. Certainly missing a trick with this gal.

Guest alex
Is Harman even standing like?

Declared that she was staying as deputy, didn't she?

That's what I thought. If I didn't know better I'd suggest CT was being contrary for the sake of it.

The problem with Harriet Harman is she's shit when pushed into a corner and is a really bad bullshitter. Always has a shitter on Question Time or Newsnight when pushed. Part of being a good politician unfortunately is being able to bullshit without it actually sounding like it's bullshit.

Is Harman even standing like?

Declared that she was staying as deputy, didn't she?

That's what I thought. If I didn't know better I'd suggest CT was being contrary for the sake of it.

Could be why I said they're missing a trick :wub:

The problem with Harriet Harman is she's shit when pushed into a corner and is a really bad bullshitter. Always has a shitter on Question Time or Newsnight when pushed. Part of being a good politician unfortunately is being able to bullshit without it actually sounding like it's bullshit.

Agree with that tbf but its usually just political geeks who watch QT (like me) and not the majority of the floating voters who decide elections. Also its very rare that Leaders put themselves up for that sort of thing anyway so the chances to fuck up would be rare.

Unfortunately the way politics is today with barely a fag paper between the parties, personality is a big player. IMO she has a lot more than any of the current candidates and the clamour for her to stand might grow if she puts in a few good displays at PMQ.

I would add that even when she does fuck up it always comes across as in an honest way and not a slimeball way.

Too late for her to be nominated now I think.

You surprise me CT, if you're being honest that is. Most people fitting your demographic would have the knives out for Harman without thinking about it twice.

You surprise me CT, if you're being honest that is. Most people fitting your demographic would have the knives out for Harman without thinking about it twice.

why?

why?

Just a general perception because of her New Labour background and her feminist attitudes etc. And no, I'm not going to back up my perceptions with a link, and yes, I am probably being unfair to you and those I'm generalising.

I think she'd be a poor choice of leader personally, I just can't see the electorate taking to her.

why?

Just a general perception because of her New Labour background and her feminist attitudes etc. And no, I'm not going to back up my perceptions with a link, and yes, I am probably being unfair to you and those I'm generalising.

I think she'd be a poor choice of leader personally, I just can't see the electorate taking to her.

:wub:;) ;) :D

I think she would make a very good leader indeed. However Im sure the men in grey suits have other ideas.