The Labour Leadership Campaign

Christmas Tree

We'll have to wait and see then.

By 2020 the budget is predicted to be in surplus for a start. There's also the "surplus law" to come which Labour has to back or otherwise fall into a whole new overspending trap.

Wages are rising, borrowing is still very low and the economy is forecast to continue at about 2.5%

My bottom line to this is that Labour will always come second on financial management and therefore their chances of success will rest more on promising an exciting new future. (1997).

Borrowing is twice what it was under labour.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The funny thing to me as an outsider is, it isn't Corbyn which is causing this explosion. It's the absolute heed the balls in the party throwing the toys out the pram because they aren't winning.

Aye, all this crack about Corbyn tearing the party apart is more "we're going to tear it apart when he wins".

Aye, all this crack about Corbyn tearing the party apart is more "we're going to tear it apart when he wins".

"Career politicians see their careers taking an uncontrollable turn for the worse" :lol:

That's why they're threatening to overturn the very demorcratic process they brought in to replace the union block vote. Two out the other three are ex cabinet members and the other one is as ruthlessly careerist as anyone I've seen in my life. They want power, and that's fuckin it. Theyll do anything to get it.

My old mucker Jezza just fired a txt in....

It's Jeremy Corbyn, seeking your vote for Leader. Can I ask who you're backing? Text JC for me, AB for Andy, YC for Yvette or LK for Liz. Reply STOP to opt out.

2015/08/14 05:43:46pm

It's all Millibands fault, to my total non-surprise. I knew he'd changed the voting rules, but I had no clue about this:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9605572/labour-always-lurches-left-when-it-loses-but-this-time-is-worse/

Miliband not only provided the intellectual groundwork for the Corbyn insurrection, he also, albeit unwittingly, provided the organisational opening. Desperate to placate the increasingly truculent unions that had helped elect their boss, Miliband’s team, says one observer, ‘gave a free rein and turned a blind eye’ as the unions tried to squeeze their favoured candidates into parliamentary seats.
This had two results. First, the unions managed to ensure left-wing loyalists were picked in a swath of constituencies so safe that not even Miliband could lose them. MPs elected for the first time in May figure disproportionately among those who nominated Corbyn.

(second is the disaster of changing the way leaders are elected)
One thing nobody seems to be mentioning is this - if he wins, then the country will potentially be faced with choosing a Labour leader who proposed to embark on the most sweeping reforms since Thatcher Thatcher milk snatcher, but he's be 70 years old! He'll be nodding off in his very first cabinet meeting, surely?
Edited by Makom

It's all Millibands fault, to my total non-surprise. I knew he'd changed the voting rules, but I had no clue about this:

http://www.spectator.co.uk/features/9605572/labour-always-lurches-left-when-it-loses-but-this-time-is-worse/

(second is the disaster of changing the way leaders are elected)
One thing nobody seems to be mentioning is this - if he wins, then the country will potentially be faced with choosing a Labour leader who proposed to embark on the most sweeping reforms since Thatcher Thatcher milk snatcher, but he's be 70 years old! He'll be nodding off in his very first cabinet meeting, surely?

He's not being put forward or even voted for in order for him to win though. Not by a lot of people. It's an attempt to force Labour back over from the centre-right.

He won't win the next election, he'll quit as leader when he fails, but Labour won't be what it is now. This is a necessary process.

If he wins he won't be leader at the 2020 election. Hopefully Labour can get all the unpleasantness out of the way in the next 18 months and at that point a unifying electable figure will appear and Corbyn will step aside. Wft the blairites think they're playing at telling scare stories to the press I dont know but I font think even the man himself thinks he'll be the leader at the next GE.

Hard to get rid of him in 18 months. At that stage he'll still be promising goodys without having to cost them all due to it been a while away from an election.

Not to mention the shit storm it will throw up with the unions and grass roots.

I think given his patter and if he can master PMQ's, he'll be doing ok for personal ratings.

Still be a trouncing in 2020 though.

Who says anyone will need to get rid of him?....he has his beliefs but ffs he knows the country wont elect him as PM. He's there to turn the debate leftwards, that's it. Not to try to impose a totalitarian communist regime, not to re-open coal mines, not to do any of the scare stories that are being perpetrated about him at the moment. He, and the vast majority of the labour movement outside Westminster know this. As Chez said last week this is where he needs to start:

The point is, Corbyn doesnt have to be right about everything; he doesnt have to be certain, and fully costed about everything; he doesnt even have to be responsive and listening to everything. This political moment is about breaking open the doors and letting the 21st century in. We have been labouring since the financial crash under political verities based on economic principles that not even economists will vouch for any more. The internal critics of the current capitalist model are everywhere: the only people still cleaving to these ideas are the political class and the technocrats who support them. The absolutely vital thing is to wrest the conversation away from leaders who wont critique the existing order for fear of sounding anti-business, otherwise we will be mired in the mistakes of yesterday for ever.

http://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2015/aug/16/jeremy-corbyn-corbynomics-cosy-consensus-debt-radical-fear

He's running for leader, he's not going to be taken seriously if he starts to send out mixed messages. He's got to say it. Theres no way he's still leader in 2020 whether he jumps or is pushed.

The Labour party needs this though. The naked ambition for power without any principles in the other 3 candidates is nauseating. If it consigns the Labour party in the spirit in which it was formed to the history books then so be it. I frankly couldn't give a fuck tbh. Its cool to be cynical, nihilistic and dismissive of ideology nowadays. Jeremy Corbyn most definetly isn't cool, but he might be the father of the 21st century labour party by harking back to Labours ideological past.

Edited by PaddockLad

I can't see what being pushed or jumping would achieve? Surely that would just pave the way for a return to centre politics. A sort of admission that Corbyns viewpoint has failed.

As for principals, I'm sure lots of us would agree with most of his patter, but the problem is delivering a lot of those things whilst while still managing the economy successfully.

If he or anyone else can demonstrate a way to deliver the "full package", then they'll get lots of votes.